Thread: Would LE-14c's Make Good Surround Speakers?

Would LE-14c's Make Good Surround Speakers?

A friend is giving me a pair of LE-14c's with x-overs, late '60s vintage that work fine except need new foams. I use a Yamaha Z9 with front and rear surround channels as well as the LCR. My LCR are in L200 cabinets and include 130A, LE175/HL-91, 075, N1200, N7000. My four current surrounds are Cerwin Vega VS-100, 10" 3-ways that actually have a fairly nice sound for surround duty. AND, when put to through the automatic eq test, the Yamaha reports them as "large". Interesting that the Yamaha reports the LCR as "small".

Anyway, I was wondering if the LE-14c's might make a better match for the LCR and it would be nice to have an ALL JBL system. I recognize that the Vegas are probably more efficient, but the bigger JBL cone may improve low frequency extension and many of my DVD-audio/SACD/DTS disks actually put bass guitar in the rear surrounds (e.g., Abraxas on DTS). With the Vegas, it seems lacking.

If the experts feel the LE-14cs to be the better match, I'll start looking for a second set of LE-14c's, which continually come up on ebay lately.

PS, please don't bid against me.

I'm bettin' LE14-C's will be fine for surround duty.

Whether you'll like them better than the CV's will require an empirical determination....

I bet if you used a really good crossover, those LE14C's would sound really nice !
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Thread Information