Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Dumb question maybe but why rebuild let alone live below sea level..in a region prone to such weather conditions.... .
    A terrible place, actually, but there's no denying it's probably on every American's five favorite U.S. cities list....

Hello Ian

The original city, The French Quater is the last to flood so the founders knew what they were doing. Over time however it was expanded. It is such an important port that they really have no choice but to reopen and rebuild what they can. As examples the colonial pipeline runs from New Orleans to New York Harbour and supplies natural gas and distilates to the north east. Most of the midwest and central states ship through there via the Mississippi river and the canal systems and railroads, either going east or west you have to truck over mountain ranges with over 1000-2000 mile plus distances to reach an east or west coast port. Savana Georgia would be an east cost alternate but you would have to truck or railroad there. The river is the cheap way to move large volume materials by ship or barge. There is so much volume of materials that comes through there another port may not be able to handle it. Even if they limit the rebuilding the port has to stay open for the forseeable future.

http://www.portno.com/facts.htm

Rob

WARNING: Shocking

For a shocking, raw look at what's happening from the standpoint of an emergency responder to the crisis, check this out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=576235

You may not like it, both for its frankness and for its implied regional bigotry, but you shouldn't ignore it.

If you're easily offended, stay away.

His grammar's bad, too.
    Out.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists these organizations for those seeking to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina:

Donate cash

American Red Cross (800) HELP NOW (435-7669) English; (800) 257-7575 Spanish

Operation Blessing (800) 436-6348

America's Second Harvest (800) 344-8070

To donate cash or volunteer

Adventist Community Services (800) 381-7171

Catholic Charities, USA (703) 549-1390

Christian Disaster Response (941) 956-5183 or (941) 551-9554

Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (800) 848-5818

Church World Service (800) 297-1516

Convoy of Hope (417) 823-8998

Lutheran Disaster Response (800) 638-3522

Mennonite Disaster Service (717) 859-2210

Nazarene Disaster Response (888) 256-5886

Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (800) 872-3283

Salvation Army (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769)

Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief (800) 462-8657, ext. 6133

United Methodist Committee on Relief (800) 554-8583
    The wifey and I sent a small donation of $100 to the American Red Cross earlier this evening. If any of the rest of you can afford it, please consider doing the same. Our friends to the south are going through a living hell and need all the help they can get.

"These are some of the 40,000 extra troops that I have demanded," Blanco said. "They have M-16s, and they're locked and loaded ... I have one message for these hoodlums: These troops know how to shoot and kill, and they are more than willing to do so if necessary, and I expect they will."

Guess what you ignorant slut? The people you're talking tough to don't have any means of communication. Why don't you personally go down there with a bullhorn and let them know how fucking tough you are you stupid bitch. Take a couple bottles of water with you and pass them out while you're at it... Have each of those 40,000 extra troops hump in a few gallons of water while they're at it...

Figge

"its the end of the world as we know it" - R.E.M

lol yeah i saw that too!

the weather is pretty fucked up everywhere compared to 15-20 years or so ago...and i guess its only gonna get worse...maybe its not such a bad thing the gas price is rising?

i feel really sorry for all the people stuck in the city...should have been saved DAYS ago!

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    "These are some of the 40,000 extra troops that I have demanded," Blanco said. "They have M-16s, and they're locked and loaded ... I have one message for these hoodlums: These troops know how to shoot and kill, and they are more than willing to do so if necessary, and I expect they will."

Guess what you ignorant slut? The people you're talking tough to don't have any means of communication. Why don't you personally go down there with a bullhorn and let them know how fucking tough you are you stupid bitch. Take a couple bottles of water with you and pass them out while you're at it... Have each of those 40,000 extra troops hump in a few gallons of water while they're at it...
    Well stated!

What I want to know is?

Yesterday evening on the news they showed the navy hospital ship " Comfort " being loaded and made ready to go to the Gulf! It will take a few days for the ship to reach the Gulf! But since when is a navel vessel not ready to go at a moments notice? Why wasnt the ship sent earlier? Why has the Gov`t been so slow at getting to New orleans to aid the people? When I was living in Miami in `92, the Gov`t was right there to help! All levels of Gov`t failed IMHO, Federal, State, and Local!

Their now talking about shoot to kill? Well, what do we think happens to people that are living without water, food, and shelter? The basics! They are trying to survive, people are going mad! So some people are stealing things, BFD! Their are far more severe problems at hand! Disease! Death! Slow, torturous death of American citizens! Anyone thinking about that? Dehydrated babies died! The water is contaminated with feces, diseases, and other germs, and rotting corpses! What would any of us be like having to endure these conditions?

And yet, if there was an earthquake in Kajikastan, or a Sunami in the pacific rim, the American forces, Gov`t and aid is there within two days! I mean, they cant drop much needed food and water to the people from choppers in packaging that floats?

If they knew there was even a chance of those levees not holding, why was there not a " MANDATORY " evacuation of the City of New Orleans? After all, they were in fact preparing for the worst, and it did happen! Evacuation of Miami Beach was mandatory in 1992, before Andrew hit! If there was anyone they found in the area they made them get to higher ground, or took em against their will!

Maybe I`m talking out my A$$, but the govt should have gotten there right away with everything needed!

We didnt really come through for the people!
    scottyj

The evacuation order was "Mandatory."

Problem was, no means was provided to accomplish it for those who didn't have a way to get out, or the resources to sustain themselves elsewhere.

Sidebar Note: #2 on the FEMA list, above:

"Founded on November 14, 1978 by businessman and philanthropist, M.G. Robertson, Operation Blessing was originally set up to help struggling individuals and families by matching their needs for items such as clothing, appliances, and vehicles with donated items from viewers of The 700 Club, Robertson's daily television program."

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

news report from NOLA's own --- Foamy the squirrel

kinda alot of cussing, but so true....

http://www.illwillpress.com/kat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    I truly hope this is an overstatement. To our members from this area (actually everyone in the area for that matter), my sincerest wishes that you are able to get out of harm's way and ride out this potential catastrophe safe and sound.

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwszone?Sites=:laz069

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE KATRINA CONTINUES TO APPROACH THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER DELTA

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE KILLED.
    I've tried to stay out of this discussion...but I can't any longer. Why is the Gov't to blame for EVERYTHING? Those that stayed in the hurricane ravaged areas were told what was coming, and were told to get out. And now those that stayed behind and need help are blaming the very people trying to help them....and shooting at them. Last I heard the US and State Gov'ts didn't order this hurricane...but these people need to accept the help to get the help...I've been through earthquake clean-up....and those hit with NO warning... civilized people actually help EACH OTHER get through it....not try to kill the rescuers.

There I said it...probably get alot of flak for it...so be it.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    kinda alot of cussing, but so true....

http://www.illwillpress.com/kat.html
    no sugar coating here!

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    I've tried to stay out of this discussion...but I can't any longer. Why is the Gov't to blame for EVERYTHING? Those that stayed in the hurricane ravaged areas were told what was coming, and were told to get out. And now those that stayed behind and need help are blaming the very people trying to help them....and shooting at them. Last I heard the US and State Gov'ts didn't order this hurricane...but these people need to accept the help to get the help...I've been through earthquake clean-up....and those hit with NO warning... civilized people actually help EACH OTHER get through it....not try to kill the rescuers.

There I said it...probably get alot of flak for it...so be it.
    in talking (web chatting) to a lot ppl in Houma, Baton Rouge, lafayette, etc (SE louisiana); seems that some of the reporting has been hyped up a bit -- yes there are bad ppl there, yes there has been violence & looting, etc --
    (if you don't know that is kinda business as usual, admittedly not on this kind of scale -- NOLA is not known for being the safest city around, even in the best conditions -- anyone from there had seen the mayhem comming..... unfortunately.)

but it does seem as if some of the stuff being reported on national/local news is (unintentional) mis-information..... I have been following the storm and aftermath on the NOLA area club BBSs, including www.louisianaclubscene.com ,and like I said, seems as if at least some of the reporting is exaggerated.....

still not a place I would want to be right now, even though I am very sad about what is going on in my hometown..... makes me

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Those that stayed in the hurricane ravaged areas were told what was coming, and were told to get out.
    Here's my point again: 27% of the population, most of these living below poverty levels, had no means to leave. That's about 130,000 people. It would have taken 2000+ busses to do it. If the City had an emergency evacuation plan, it didn't work.

And then what? Where would they have gone? Look at the logistics of what is required to accomplish it now. The Astrodome is already at capacity and not taking any more....

paragon

Terrible

All that is terrible (sorry about my english).
    I look every day TV what`s going on there, but what i see is
    there is no help for this people, they are dying.. and..nobody
    where is the help of Mr. Bush ??
    This is a great desaster !!

Thread Information