Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

paragon

Worst !!

This is a very worst thing. Whish all people and members very well.
    We don`t have such things in our region. So we are happy.

Eckhard

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    Donate cash

American Red Cross (800) HELP NOW (435-7669) English; (800) 257-7575 Spanish

Salvation Army (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769)
    I bumped up my weekly paycheck deduction by a factor of two about a month ago. 50% goes to the American Red Cross and 50% goes to the Salvation Army. While $8 a week doesn't sound like much, it adds up to over $400 a year and the little bite it takes out of my check doesn't hurt all that much. I highly encourage everybody to make a weekly donation, year-round, year after year as opposed to the occasional influx of cash. Thanks Lancer for providing the info.

paragon

Sorry,

But there is so much money gone in the irak war,
    Why he donīt spend so much money in this things ?
    So much people died !
    There is no electric power because the power lines are
    over the street and all damaged !
    Change this !

Iīm dead, Eckhard

paragon

Keine Antwort ??, No answer ??

Was ist los, Jungs ??, What`s going on ??

Eckhard

Sorry, time difference !!

There will be a "total evacuation of the city. We have to. The city will not be functional for two or three months," Nagin said.

Functional for two or three months!? Are they all on crack? They would actually try to rebuild New Orleans knowing full well it is unsustainable long term? Are they not looking at the amount of water around them that I'm looking at?

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    There will be a "total evacuation of the city. We have to. The city will not be functional for two or three months," Nagin said.

Functional for two or three months!? Are they all on crack? They would actually try to rebuild New Orleans knowing full well it is unsustainable long term? Are they not looking at the amount of water around them that I'm looking at?
    regardless of how the city looks now, the port of New Orleans is still one of the most strategic ports/points in all of the world.... IIRC about 80% of US export goods pass through New Orleans on their way to foreign markets.... many import goods also come in to the US via NOLA --

I don't believe the city is unsustainable long term.... the engineers need to brainfunk the protection of the city from future flooding AND sustain the coastal wetlands, hopefully they will get it right this time....

being surrounded with water is a way of life down there.....

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    being surrounded with water is a way of life down there.....
    and death apparently.

This picture spells only one thing to me F-U-C-T.

Maybe they'll get out the dump trucks and fill that really big depression with some dirt. Maybe they will put the pumps where they won't be overrun by water. Who knows...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

[QUOTE=Regis]I bumped up my weekly paycheck deduction by a factor of two about a month ago. 50% goes to the American Red Cross and 50% goes to the Salvation Army. /QUOTE]
    Bravo. Two of the better outfits.

This picture spells only one thing to me F-U-C-T.
    And - worse.

Lake Pontchartrain is +5 ft MSL; NOLA is avg. -5 ft MSL. That lake will simply continue to drain, as Newton would argue. NOLA is a natural bowl, a shape exaggerated by years of not allowing the overflowing Mississippi to re-fill the basin with sediments, and the Army Corp dutifully shoring-up the levees. Sure, the Army Corp of Engineers did their best to keep the Mississippi navigable, but the unintended consequence was an ever increasing risk to the Crescent City - a risk that would eventually be overrun by nature. They knew it, we knew it, but all were complicit in denial of the eventuality of the situation. Call me Darwin, but the planet wins every time. This terrible outcome will take years to rectify, if it even is (or should be...).

In the mean-while, there will be terribly long hours, days and weeks of incredible human tragedy - separated from functioning civilization my a mere few miles in places. Ths situation will worsen for days to come. It has to stop getting bad before it can start to get better. And the whole scene is peppered by atrocious looting and societally disrespectful behavior. All races must be shamed by what we can see...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

President Bush warned against price-gouging of gasoline Thursday in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and said looters should be treated with zero tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    And the whole scene is peppered by atrocious looting and societally disrespectful behavior.
    I personally don't distinguish between looters and price gougers...

President Bush, in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America," said that their should be "zero tolerance of people breaking the law during an emergency such as this."

Well... one could argue that there should be "zero tolerance" for presidents invading foreign countries to topple their form of government too.
    I assume that's what's behind the joint military exercises between Russia and China.

Didn't we see all this play out in Iraq when law and order broke down there too?

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Wednesday that she was "just furious" about the lawlessness.

"We'll do what it takes to bring law and order to our region," she said.

Yeah, just shoot all the insurgents. Call in a couple of airstrikes and deal with it. Better yet, vaporize the whole mess so you don't have to clean any of it up. Nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure...

Alex Lancaster
    So, is it possible to rebuild 15' higher?.

Anything is possible when you have to destroy virtually everything that's there.

If you've ever travelled there, you know how dreadful the parking used to be. They could start by building reinforced concrete parking lots at ground level, then putting businesses, streets, and residences on top of them at +10 ft. above the Lake. Then if another hurricane comes, they can ride it out in the garages, then move above water level after the levees break.

Plus, they could pull a page from Atlanta, and have New Orleans underground for any parts of the old city that actually could be salvaged.

Or they could bulldoze everything and rebuild below seal level using wood frame construction and beef up the levees. Which is the moron's solution, and probably the one that will happen.
    Out.

Not that I actually KNOW anything, but I heard yesterday that much of the old city, including the French Quarter, is above sea level, according to Cokie Roberts, of all people, on "Nightline."

I recall the tax they charged coming in from the airport. $9.00 a head, wasn't it, for the maintenance of levees?

Good job.

[I think the Dutch know how to do this, actually....]

Dumb question maybe but why rebuild let alone live below sea level..in a region prone to such weather conditions.... .

I think Maslow's model basically take's over when ever there is an event like this.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Dumb question maybe but why rebuild let alone live below sea level..in a region prone to such weather conditions.... .

I think Maslow's model basically take's over when ever there is an event like this.

Ian
    Simple answer, maybe, is that just happend to be where ships met barge and wagon. All the sudden you look around and there is a city! I think when the blame-game get's started, the perpetual cost of trying to out-muscle nature will be be part of the debate. But the levees will be rebuilt and in time people will again be casual about life behind the levee.

David F

Thread Information