Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4341 - Back To Life

4341 - Back To Life

Here's a few pics of one of my 4341's. Just finished a restoration and put the components back into the cabinet so I could see what they are supposed to look like. Will wait to install the baffle foil-cal until I have had a chance to test everything out. I'll start work on the second cabinet in the near future and hopefully have them up and running this fall.

The pair came to me in nasty condition but how often do you see 4340's or 4341's ??? They are quite rare and are worth the effort it takes to bring them back to life. The cabinets had chunks out of almost every edge, corners smashed, veneer stained, bases trashed, baffles painted black, etc., etc. Although it was a major overhaul the total man-hours invested was not even 20; well worth the time.

I've been sitting on a pair of White Aquaplas 15" cone kits for a long time and finally found them a home. Components are otherwise the same as the 4343 that the 4341 preceeded.

I'll post some more pics after the second cab is done and they have grills with some of the new blue cloth from Zilch (it's on the way).

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images    

A couple more pics

A couple more pics

jtgyn

Very Nice

Great work Rick!

Regards Scott

RIP 2009
    Is that "JBL Blue" from Bo's formulation? 'Looks great!

John

JBL Baffle Blue

John: Yes - it's little bo blue's baffle blue. Opened a fresh can for this project. It looks real bright in the pics but maybe due to the overhead lights and the flash on the camera. I mixed up a couple of quarts recently to give it a try. It's a real real real close match to the blue used on the later pro monitors. I've found since using his formula that the hue changes a bit as the paint sets up/cures. The end result looks real good. I'm still fooling around trying to get a lighter shade to match earlier monitors. Both my 4350's and 4315's are noticeably lighter and I need to do some slight touchup around some of the screw holes. Thanx - Rick

Beautiful work.

Ian

Those look great!! Like the white cones. Didn't realize that they were the same vintage as an original 4350. Lucky you had the kits.

Rob

Beautiful work, as allways.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Nice Restoration Rick !

- Is the 4341 enclosure a bit shorter than the 4343/4 type ?

<> Earl K

Hi Earl and thanks for your comments. Yes - the 4341 is shorter than the 4343, a little over 5" and an inch narrower. Depth is about the same. It took some thought to pack the components into this cabinet for sure. The removable panel on the back was mandatory. Regards - Rick

Thumbs up Looks great.

How's the sound with that driver combo?
    Out.

4341's

Hi T.D. - Don't know how they sound yet. Will give you a report when the other one is done and I get wires to them. With the same driver compliment as the 4343's I am hoping they will sound the same as 4343's. These cabinets are about 15%-20% smaller inside than are the 4343's yet they have the same port surface area and duct tube length as the 4343's. You would think that there might be some audible difference. Sold my 4343's some time back so I won't be able to A/B the two. I may build a different base that will angle/tilt them back a bit so the high freq. drivers project better into the listening area. Like the 4350's and other pro monitors, these monitors were built so they could be suspended from the ceiling and they have the factory installed eye-bolts on the bottom to allow this. Either way, they're keepers for a while.

Rick

RIP 2009
    Are all those pics of the same cabinet? Is the other mirror imaged, or do they only allow for changing the position of the HF?

John

Dang it,

Heard a virgin pair in 76 Sez I ,

You do realize I will be comin all the way over like a dang moth to day light to hear em,

Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    Hi T.D. - Don't know how they sound yet. Will give you a report when the other one is done and I get wires to them. With the same driver compliment as the 4343's I am hoping they will sound the same as 4343's. These cabinets are about 15%-20% smaller inside than are the 4343's yet they have the same port surface area and duct tube length as the 4343's. You would think that there might be some audible difference. Sold my 4343's some time back so I won't be able to A/B the two. I may build a different base that will angle/tilt them back a bit so the high freq. drivers project better into the listening area. Like the 4350's and other pro monitors, these monitors were built so they could be suspended from the ceiling and they have the factory installed eye-bolts on the bottom to allow this. Either way, they're keepers for a while.

Macka
    Rick

Thread Information