Thread: Warren Zevon died today...

Warren Zevon died today...

It was one of those things that was inevitable, but that doesn't make it suck any less.

Today Warren Zevon finished his fight with lung cancer. Last October, he was diagnosed, and given a prognosis of being dead in 3 months... instead, he not only lived nearly 4 times that long, but during that time, actually managed to record and release an album.

Here's a bunch of links and other messages, both remembering Warren and containing reviews of his albums:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2003/09/08/081857.php

Dammit. My cynical side asks, why do the talented ones die so quickly, and all the talentless hacks seem to live forever?

Regards,
    Gordon.

JBL Dog

"His hair was perfect"

GordonW:

I share your sentiments with the passing of Warren Zevon. I was exposed to his music while working at a 10 watt college radio station some 25 years ago. "Excitable Boy" was just released. Elecktra/Asylum was one of the few companies that would send us a good supply of promo records. The good ones were got, we played the grooves off of.

He left us way too young at 56. However, he had a sense of humor until the end.... summing up his life as the first half "living like Jim Morrison", the second half "living like Ward Cleaver."

R.I.P.

This message comes from JBL Dog

Speakertown

VH1 did bio. already.

Just caught an hour-long program on Vh1. It was great, with
    lot's of studio film, other famous musicians helping out on
    the last album. I'm sure it will be repeated, so try to catch it.

JBL Dog

I hope so!

I was out grocery shopping, etc. and missed it!

I sure hope they repeat it!

This message comes from JBL Dog

Re: Warren Zevon died today...

Originally posted by GordonW
    ...why do the talented ones die so quickly ... ?
    He was a long-term, "terminal", I guess you could say, chain smoker. He made the choice and stuck with it. Too bad for us who enjoy his music. Too bad for others closer to him than most of us are.

I know the Grateful Dead too must've enjoyed his stuff, because he was one of the few opening acts they ever had - and believe me I saw sufficient shows for decades nationwide to know. It was at their Anniversary Shows at the University of Colorado - Boulder. Some great shows by the Grateful Dead.

IMHO his best was his last. His cover of Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door - certainly timely - is indeed poignant. Right up there with the great covers, Cocker style.

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information