Thread: L100 Grille Peg question

L100 Grille Peg question

Did all L100's use the plastic/nylon grille pegs, or did some early ones use wood dowels? (I've run across two pair of the original inline driver-style L100's with identical wood dowels for grille pegs; figured they were just cheap replacements but thought I'd check before I rip them out and replace with plastic.) Thanks.

Cool wood

My L100's (purchased 1971) came with wooden pegs to hold the grille frames on.

They never worked very well as the air movement through the bass port kept blowing off the grille frame until they were ruined by falling 3' to the concrete basement floor.

I did use some adhesive strips of Velcro (with limited success) to hold the frames on, until abandoning the frames completely after the foam deteriorated in the mid-late 80's.

I just purchased a "brand new, never used" set of frames with new replacement foam installed from Scott McCoy ([email protected]) of "sculpted-foam-innovations" e-pay (no affiliation). They were expensive but after ~30 years without them, I must admit, "Looking pretty Fine”

Unfortunately, I’m again suffering from the wooden pegs and their original “gripping” issue. I’ll either look for some on e-pay (too expensive), make some new ones from wooden dowels, or go to some sort of grill attachment system from "Simply Speakers".

These are the pegs I bought for my L-36s, my B-380 sub, and some other JBLs that use the peg style grills. They did NOT have wood pegs.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Grill-Pe...item3ccbe1ea30
    They seem to be an exact match for the factory pegs.
    Over the years I have seen eBay vendor sign--shop has sold them in black or white ... These are black.

Quote Originally Posted by standuffer View Post
    My L100's (purchased 1971) came with wooden pegs to hold the grille frames on.

They never worked very well as the air movement through the bass port kept blowing off the grille frame until they were ruined by falling 3' to the concrete basement floor.

I did use some adhesive strips of Velcro (with limited success) to hold the frames on, until abandoning the frames completely after the foam deteriorated in the mid-late 80's.

I just purchased a "brand new, never used" set of frames with new replacement foam installed from Scott McCoy ([email protected]) of "sculpted-foam-innovations" e-pay (no affiliation). They were expensive but after ~30 years without them, I must admit, "Looking pretty Fine”

Unfortunately, I’m again suffering from the wooden pegs and their original “gripping” issue. I’ll either look for some on e-pay (too expensive), make some new ones from wooden dowels, or go to some sort of grill attachment system from "Simply Speakers".

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information