Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150-4C with D130 Cones?

Question 150-4C with D130 Cones?

Hi all,

It was suggested I post this here as the 150-4C's I recently purchased (or are they D130's?) are weird.

Pics will follow and maybe someone here can tell me more. I bought them from the family of the original owner in stunning cabinets. Also in the package was a Fisher 100t preamp/tuner and SA-100 (7189's) in a cabinet that matches in most ways the JBL cabinets made by Acousti-craft. I believe the stuff was made/originally sold around 1960.

The seller told me that they are original with the exception of one of the 075 bullet tweeters being replaced. I know him outside the sale and considering the simplicity of the transaction have no reason to believe he would intentionally deceive me.

However, when I posted about them on another forum, some smarter than I were quick to point out the 150-4C's had an aluminum dustcap which is not known to the 150-4C. Further research suggests the cones are indeed D130 or some similar model.

So, only two logical conclusions come to mind:

1. They were reconed without the sellers knowledge by a sibling or whatever. It's possible.

2. They were made this way for some reason. Probably not but Don suggested if anyone would know you guys would.

If nothing else take a look at the cabinets, They are so cool looking and a work of art.
    They sound great. I have been using a pair of Tannoy DMT 15's and really like the Tannoys. These, with their ancient crossover and minimal time for room placement already do some things better. Not everything, the Tannoy's are impressive but these are already giving them a run for their money.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this subject.

More and larger photos available here for anyone interested.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Dingusboy; 08-20-2005 at 06:31 AM. Reason: fixed name of cabinets (they aren't a phono stage!)

Well,After taking a gander at all the pics on this and your link"s site,I"m still not sure what you have??

I will offer these observations.They are definatly recones and old recones at that.

In the pics there is a brown substance (bostic adhesive,long since dried) shown dripping thru the mounting screw holes.This adhesive appeared to be applied on the frame in a pretty heavy amount.Factory installed cone kits don"t exhibit that much excess adhesive upon installation.It is the correct adhesive supplied in an authentic JBL recone kit.

The number on the cone also signifies an original JBL cone kit was used although these numbers can be faked.I"m sure it is an authentic JBL kit.

So somebody reconed the frame with an original JBL 130 kit.

The frame and its foilcal identification tag is the real puzzler!

Original 150 frames had an extension ring bolted to the front of the frame using 4 screws from the rear accomidating the deeper 150 cone.

The 4 screw holes thru the frame attaching the front extension ring were each recessed.You could see this when viewing the frame from the rear.This recessed allowed the 4 screw heads to be flush with the rest of the rear section of the frame.

It is possible that the extension ring was removed on your frames and a recone kit installed.What I question is that your pics don"t show the recess of the screw holes.

This makes me question if it is an original 150 frame.
    The dripped thru bostic glue on the screw holes may be hiding the recess on the rear of the frame.Its hard to tell from the supplied pics.

If there are no recessed screw holes and its got 150 foilcals-I got "NO" idea what you got there.

Hope this long winded explanation helps.

Oldmics

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics
    much very helpful long winded explaining.

If there are no recessed screw holes and its got 150 foilcals-I got "NO" idea what you got there.

Oldmics
    That's what I got. No recessed screw holes. I looked at one of the one's on Ebay and the recess was obvious. No such deal on this one.

Finally got around to opening the second cabinet. No mystery here. A D130 foilcal.

Maybe the 150 foilcal is wrong on the other? Could they have screwed up and mislabeled it?

Umm

Quote Originally Posted by Dingusboy
    Finally got around to opening the second cabinet. No mystery here. A D130 foilcal.

Maybe the 150 foilcal is wrong on the other? Could they have screwed up and mislabeled it?
    You have D-130,s and one has the wrong foilcal, Im sorry to say!
    scottyj

My guess is that since 150-4Cs have been going for so much on eBay, people are making reproduction foilcals and sticking them on 130As and in this case a D130.

It looks like those D130 cones have a few cracks in them and will likely need to be reconed anyway.

Widget

It'd be interesting to see what the foilcal alone would sell for on eBay....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    It'd be interesting to see what the foilcal alone would sell for on eBay....

we're not here to promote that kind of thing... but I bet it'd help pay for a recone.

Widget

My guess is that this D130 was mislabeled at the factory. There has been some 150-4C forgery happening, but I don't believe this D130 is an example of that.

I have an early pipe pot magnet D130 that is clearly identified on its cut-corners label as a D208. I asked John Edwards about this. He explained that he had most likely typed the label as he did most of them in those days, but that he was not responsible for applying it to the speaker!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    My guess is that this D130 was mislabeled at the factory. There has been some 150-4C forgery happening, but I don't believe this D130 is an example of that.
    That's my guess too. The family I bought them from are original owners and not exactly obessesed like some people I am/know.

While I would be interested in seeing what the foilcal might bring, The chance that it ends up in the hands of some Ba$#@rd that puts it on something else is too great.

Oh well, the whole package was still a hell of a bargain. The matching Fisher stuff is very cool too. I love the look of the cabs and D130 or 150-4C, they sound very good.

BTW, you guys are great. I show up, never posted here before and get this kinda friendly response. I really appreciate it.

Plus, I learned how to use foilcal in a sentence.

I agree!

That's my guess too. The family I bought them from are original owners and not exactly obessesed like some people I am/know.

While I would be interested in seeing what the foilcal might bring, The chance that it ends up in the hands of some Ba$#@rd that puts it on something else is too great.

Oh well, the whole package was still a hell of a bargain. The matching Fisher stuff is very cool too. I love the look of the cabs and D130 or 150-4C, they sound very good.

BTW, you guys are great. I show up, never posted here before and get this kinda friendly response. I really appreciate it.

I think your speakers just got mislabeled at the factory! It has happened, and is possible!

I agree you shouldnt sell the 150-4C foilcal, it will only be used to rip someone off for big bucks, not cool!

As long as your happy with the vintage JBL speakers, forget about what model woofer they have, and enjoy them for the classics they truly are!

scottyj

Cool... enjoy that stuff, that's what it's all about.

...and by the way, Welcome aboard!

Widget

. . . . and not exactly obessesed like some people I am/know.
    Names come easily to mind.

You could offer that foilcal to one of those guys who is really into this old stuff and would handle it honestly. (Names come easily to mind.)

"You could offer that foilcal to one of those guys who is really into this old stuff and would handle it honestly. (Names come easily to mind.)"

Hey,Count me in! I need two foilcals.I"ll swap you a 130 foilcal if interested.

P.M. me

Oldmics

Hi Dingusboy...

I think what you have there is truly unique and should be left as is. The whole system you aquired is very retro-beautiful. It could also be that a genuine Factory guffaw in mis-labeling could make it even worth more to a fanatical collector.

Do the system justice to your friends while they are still around and just enjoy it. Simply beautiful furniture with a nice stereo inside.

Welcome,
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information