Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L112 re-veneer

L112 re-veneer

I recently purchased a pair of L112 speakers that had a few problems. The woofers needed re-foamed, one of the LE5-12s was bad, and the cases were a little rough to say the least. One of the speakers had 2inch hole punched in the side. Either it was dropped on something sharp, or someone pounded the side with a hammer.

I don’t mind woofers that need re-foamed because when I do this job myself I am assured that corners aren’t cut in the process. I was able to source a new pair of LE5-12s from a nice member of the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I decided to repair and re-veneer the cases. I started with purchasing a 4x8 sheet of quarter sawn walnut paperback veneer from www.oakwoodveneer.com. This is a great source. The sheet is about $100 with shipping, but is enough for 2 pairs of L112 size models.

I then removed the drivers and re-glued what hole pieces remained back into side of the case and added a 1/4 backing panel around the whole. The rest was filled in with bondo polyester putty. I used this to restore the dented corners as well. The cabinets also looked like they were dragged across some nails at one time. These gouges were filled in with some spot putty and sanded smooth. I then sanded the entire cabinets well. Most imperfections will show through the veneer, so they need to be flat. I then painted the fronts and back with Krylon semi-flat black. This is a very good match to the JBL original. In fact, on another pair of L36 speakers someone had scratched their SSN in the front baffle and then before they sold them to me, went back and gouged out the numbers. I was able to fill and sand these etchings and paint just part of the baffle with this paint and you can't tell where the original paint ends and the new paint starts.

Once that was done I cut and numbered the veneer pieces. It is best if you edge match the veneer. Think of one long strip of veneer. You start the veneer at the bottom wrap it up one side, across the top and down the other side, making cuts at the corners. This way when you look at a corner, the grain of the veneer flows right along. Cut the pieces about 3/16 larger on each side, so you have wiggle room to position them on the speakers.

There are a number of ways to glue veneer, but the one I like best is using water based contact cement from Weldwood. The water based cement is lower order, and the lack of solvents seems to be a plus for finishing. Follow the directions on the can.

Once the glue is dry and the veneer is ready to be applied, I like to use a piece of baking parchment paper in between the veneer and the speaker. This makes it easy to get things into position, and the parchment doesn’t stick at all. Make very sure that the piece is positioned properly and then slowly pull out the parchment and press the veneer down.

Trimming is best done in two ways. With the grain from the back, using a sharp utility knife cutting through to a hard surface. If you go from the back against the grain the grain tears. I like to go from the top down. This takes a little practice, but gives you the best edge. The front baffle on the L112 sticks out about 1/4 inch so it made it a little tricky in the front. I needed to cut out a little ways and trim up the edge with a rabbet plane.

Clean up the corners, sand the veneer with 220 grit paper, apply some finish and your done. I used an oil finish, followed up with paste wax

Oh, and they sound really fine too.

source of the walnut veneer you used was??

www.partsexpress.com ????

Where did you get your veneer??

Larry
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Nice! Thanks for posting.

Veneer

Those look very nice! It's nice to see these things brought back to life!

I like these guys... great selection and reasonable prices, though you have to buy full 4' by 8' sheets at a time. For someone like me that tends to build speakers bigger than sanity, that's not a problem.

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/

Widget

RickL166
    Yep, very very nice!!!

Regis

Talking

Beautiful work! Very nice photo's and accompanying instructions. Thanks for showing us your fine speaks!

Regis

Talking

Very nice work! Many people would've just plain gave up on a heavily damaged pair of speakers like what you've started with. The photo's and instructions were great too. Thanks for sharing.

pelly3s
    John they look beautiful. I have to find the time to do that to my 4430's. Great job on those though, they look like new again.

Hey they look great!! I think you just showed me the way to restore a pair of L100T cabinets I got off Ebay. Never thought of veneer over the existing veneer.

Rob

I would encourage you to give it a try. Though a little nerve wracking at times, the process isn't that complicated.

Beautiful job! There is a cabinet tool for veneering that works great on veneers with no chance of making a mistake. You can get it from the same place you got your veneer. It's a small tool used on formica cabinet finishes but works great on lighter and thinner materials like the wood veneers, Did your veneer have a paper backing on it?

Yes, it is 10 Mil Paperbackedveneer.
    I think I know the kind of tool you are talking about. It would probably be a good idea, though I haven't tried it.
    http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=1289

Thread Information