Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baffle layout

Baffle layout

Anybody got issues with this proposed baffle lay-out?

Last night I got to thinking I should align the axes of the 075 and LE5-9, and mirror-image same-same in left cabinet.

Would I be better off trying to center/align the LE5-9 with the LE14A, and leave the 075 in the outer/upper corner for imaging?

Thanks!

(apologies for image quality - it was a very light pencil drawing on tracing grid paper...)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    "(apologies for image quality - it was a very light pencil drawing on tracing grid paper...)"

I'll send you over some bar napkins and a felt tipped pen.

"Would I be better off trying to center/align the LE5-9 with the LE14A"

No.

Try to get the LE14 at least an inch off axis as well. In other words, make sure no dimensions of the LE14 mounting hole are the same distance from any edge. e.g. The 240Ti has a nice baffle arrangement.
    Last edited by 4313B; 08-31-2003 at 09:55 AM.

Just the guy I was looking for...

Thanks, dude!
    "make sure no dimensions of the LE14 mounting hole are the same distance from any edge"
    Got it. Glad I asked before cranking-up the plunge router...

Is the 240Ti ported out the back? Should I consider same? Pluses/Minuses...???

Here's a close-up of the 240Ti, for completeness of the Thread:
    Last edited by boputnam; 08-31-2003 at 10:05 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    "Is the 240Ti ported out the back?"

Yes.

"Should I consider same?"

If you want.

"Pluses/Minuses...???"

I won't go there. Someone posted in another thread about mounting ports on backs of enclosures...

Hi Bo

I much prefer vertical axis alignments for my 2way MTM stuff .

I can't offer easy answers for your question for 3 way designs . You might want to try putting the centre of your mid on a line drawn between the tweeters centre of axis and the vertical "edge" of the le14a(s)' 4" dustcap - this of course builds in a slight offset ) .

I suggest an extra ( perhaps intrusive ) step that I feel every project should be going through. I do believe that the perennial DIYer should invest the time and energy into the crafting of at least 3 different sizes of paired test boxes. The sizes would be chosen to accomodate ones' most likely utilized component types. Removable baffle boards with different ports and speaker hole sizes - is an added option.

In your specific situation, a pair of small enclosures for the le5(s) would likely suffice - just sitting on the chosen woofer box - with a 075 perched on top of the mid box. I sometimes use "road-case" foam to create additional adhoc baffle boards ( between odd size components ) to investigate the effects of having ( or not ) continuous surfaces between components.

Once one has these test enclosures in place - then the DIYer can move the parts around like a jig-saw looking for a "best- match" between crossover slope-types and that specific crossovers' interaction with the real distances between drivers.

As a "for instance"; if one designed the crossover with pure 12 db butterworth slope, then one may discouver that adding a measured distance between components might mitigate some of the expected (? db ) summing bump. Finding a distance ( that offers the smoothest transition ) between components is best done in an empirical fashion - thus the project boxes . The smooth transition between components certainly seems to have been accomplished in the 43?? 4-ways. When looking at the distance between its components - it looks to me that spacings are quite calculated. So, "tight-packing" components isn't necessarily the "way to go" when using butterworth slopes. An LR slope would be my first choice when tight-packing (flange to flange) - as in my MTM setups .

regards <> Earl K

"Someone posted in another thread about mounting ports on backs of enclosures..."
    Yea, I remember that - thunderous rush of air sounds and all that. I don't know - I sure cannot hear a thing with the 4345's, and if front ports are noisy, I be staring at the butt-end of a 747-400!!

Only hesitation is, that Ti series has Greg Timbers all over it, and he's got more port knowledge than I!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    "Only hesitation is, that Ti series has Greg Timbers all over it"

I know, I asked him when the Ti series first rolled off the assembly line "why is the port on the back?" I won't post the response
    Last edited by 4313B; 08-31-2003 at 10:42 AM.

Hey, Earl K...
    "You might want to try putting the centre of your mid on a line drawn between the tweeters centre of axis and the vertical "edge" of the le14a(s)' 4" dustcap - this of course builds in a slight offset."
    That was the "B" option I thought of, too. The Ti series effectively did just that in the 250Ti. And, it looks like even in the 240Ti the MF and HF are not exactly on-axis. Maybe I seek too much with too little..

"I suggest an extra ( perhaps intrusive ) step that I feel every project should be going through. I do believe that the perennial DIYer should invest the time and energy into the crafting of at least 3 different sizes of paired test boxes."
    That, is almost possible - at least I can swap-in different baffle configurations. This project is based around a re-fit for the Altec ModelNine cabinets, so I cut-out the old baffle leaving a 0.75-in lip to secure the new baffle to. This gives me the chance to try googles of splendiferous configurations - if my plunge router holds out...

Thanks!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    "it looks like even in the 240Ti the MF and HF are not exactly on-axis."

They are on-axis, I have a pair.

We used to build quite a few custom 3-way systems using the 2235H, 2105H, and 2405 with the N65. They came out remarkably well. Better than hoped for.
    Last edited by 4313B; 08-31-2003 at 10:59 AM.

"They are on-axis, I have a pair."
    Thanks.

"We used to build quite a few custom 3-way systems using the 2235H, 2105H, and 2405 with the N65. They came out remarkably well. Better than hoped for."
    Nice! Well, the benefit to starting with the 075 is, the baffle-cut is the same for the 2405's, a pristine pair which is also sitting on the bench! So, if the lads decide they can do without those great looking bullets, we can do the right thing...

Oh - and I too am a fan of your avatar (Guido beat me too it!). I was wondering what you might choose - quite fitting for the JBL techbot...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    "Oh - and I too am a fan of your avatar (Guido beat me too it!). I was wondering what you might choose - quite fitting for the JBL techbot... "

Well thanks... it was either that or this
    Last edited by 4313B; 08-31-2003 at 11:28 AM.

Thumbs up

Er, ah, uhm, a WOW Baby!

I have always pictured you a man!

Please, oh please drop-by and enjoy my 4345's whenever you need...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hey Bo,

My only concern with your layout is that if your cabinet has a lip around the baffle as your sketch indicates there may be early reflection issues.

Just a thought...

Giskard, no comment.

Obsolete
    "I have always pictured you a man!"

Well, that's why I didn't use the pic as my avatar
    She is an avatar but not my avatar.

"Giskard, no comment."

k

Hey thanks, Widget!

The old cabinet did have a lip, but by adding the new baffle thickness on-top of the old, it's nearly flush (well, not flush by Widget standards, but close enough for an old cowboy... )

But say, Widget - what do YOU look like, huh?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information