Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what's an everest sound like ..??

Who really cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Wolf
    As for the soundstage being diffuse and having no obvious sound source, I have no notion of where you could have got that impression from. I mean, the whole raison d'etre for the DD horn in both the Everest and 3100 is specific image placement and it does work incredibly well. Soundstage width, depth and imaging is superb.
    I wouldn't let another person's opinion of a loudspeaker bother you too much. Everyone knows that everyone else has bubblegum stuck in their ears so it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about how something sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrjit8
    I heard them a few years ago. I recall being disappointed by their lack of bass.

The high end was very good, an enveloping picture of sound which both impressed me and caused consternation by having no obvious point source. I suppose this is good but it messed with my head during critical listenig.

Had I wanted the pair I auditioned, it would have cost about 6500 dollars PLUS the cost of a good subwoofer.
    On the other hand, a pair of 4344s would have run half that and no subwoofer needed.

Maybe it's sour grapes, but The Everests didn't strike me as a good value soundwise. I also feared that their interesting "sound signature" would become cloying in time.
    The bass for everest is very impressive! the concert live sound ! better of bass reproduction. "lack of bass"??? yes, different of "car sound boum boum".

Hervé
    everest diy, 4333a, 4406,3310....

Everest and more

For all you horn freaks, check this link and scroll down, down, down to the images. You'll find the Everest there twice, once mislabeled as a K2. The Everest looks quite conservative compared to many of the other designs.

All in all, I'd have to say that anything that requires as many bizarre design features as some of these...oh, what's the point?. :dont-know They must have been a blast to design, and they're certainly conversation starters for the owners.

Plus, if you're a horn lover, I'm sure they sound first rate.
    Out.

Product of the Year

Also, don't forget that the Everest was selected as Product of the Year by Stereo Sound in Japan in 1985. Gosh, was it really 20 years ago? Guess so.
    Out.

clmrt
    Link?

I don't think the off center imaging works as well as advertised, but it does work....
    That's my experience thus far with the Everest horns, as well. There's a precise balance essential to getting it right, apparently, and I haven't achieved that. The instructions caution that only very minor changes in alignment are involved in tuning the soundstage.

I'm looking critically at the S3100 design and finding several key elements of Everest absent, in particular the 30° rotation of the woofer, and the precedence compensation provided by the 90° off-axis UHF driver. My S2600 horns came without throats, of course, so I'm dead in the water until that is resolved.

Regarding Everest bass, let the record reflect that Everest was sold with an optional subwoofer. I have no clue what that was, or if any were ever actually sold with them. 1985? B380?

Everest (4660, actually, 27-1/4" x 22-1/4") and S2600/S3100 (17-3/16" x 13-1/2") horns:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Also, don't forget that the Everest was selected as Product of the Year by Stereo Sound in Japan in 1985. Gosh, was it really 20 years ago? Guess so.
    And the S/3100 was awarded the same inabouts 1996.. thats when I first heard of them and fell for them just on looks alone.. don't ask why ... and BTW Titanium, we are not all "horn freaks" , as a matter of fact I have owned horns that I hated and got rid of - Lowther TP1 - the 3100's don't make you think horn when you hear them. I bet if you owned the Everest you would love em' .

Bernard

Red face Ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    Link?
    Do I have to do everything?

http://www.dayton-wright.com/LINKS-DW.html
    Out.

Smile

... and BTW Titanium, we are not all "horn freaks"
    Bernard

Of course, Bernard, I didn't mean you , and even if I did, I'd mean it in the most affirming, complimentary, and robust sense.

Even I like a good horn in its place:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...20&postcount=1

And if two are good, four has to be TWICE as good. Wait 'til the neighbors hear!
    Out.

Thread Information