Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home theater question...

Home theater question...

Hi folks, I just found this forum on Google and immediately signed up. I bought my first JBL's in 1970 - four D140F's while playing bass guitar (wish I had them back.... ) and have owned some kind of JBL ever since.

Anyway, I just got a plasma tv and a Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver and now want to work on the speakers. I presently have two 4430's I bought new in the mid 80's and would like to continue using those. I also just bought an LSR6312SP sub-woofer that I'm very pleased with.

What should I look for in a center speaker, and the surrounds? I was looking at the HT4Hs.....but I'm not sure. (I have no problem building cabs, if nec) I also have two 2404H's on order (not here yet) that we could use.

BTW, I've been a musician for 40+ years and my ears are extremely "hammered", therefore I like a brighter sound to compensate.

Thanks a million,
    Hamilton
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Hello Hamilton, I'm in the same situation. I will be using 4430 for lt & Rt, 2 4313Bs for the centers and 4313Bs on the other channels. Still haven't decided on the sub. It will be interesting to see what the other 4430 owners are doing......oh yes and former owners.

Hi Hamilton...BTW really cool amp collection you have .

Since you seem to be handy with tools...why not clone or otherwise acquire a 4430 for the center channel? The ideal surround setup is identical speakers for all channels, just like in the sound designers studio. Everything would be voiced the same, and you have something closer to what the movie studio intended...unless of course space is a consideration...and it usually is .

Good luck and welcome...

Edgewound
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

clmrt
    4612 rebuilt as a center - baby butt-cheek would at least look like it matched, cab size would be small enough, and tune it to about 70 hz and run it as small...

That's what I'm going to do when I find one rough, local and cheap!

Center Channel

...or how about a 2344A with one or perhaps a pair of 10" or 12 woofers oriented laterally.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard!

Widget

clmrt
    At least you're lucky enough to not have to worry about magnetic interference.

I'd be looking at making a horizontal MTM mid with 4425 components or equal.

OR, PT waveguide in the Synthesis sK2-1000DG configuration:

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products...=US&Region=USA

For HT, look to Synthesis for ideas....

I just sold my 4430's to audiobeer last week ( sigh)..however, i used them a lot for HT. If you really want some special and are willing to think outside the box try this. ( your mouth will drop) it goes well with the 4430's
    1. don't use just one speaker for center channel , split the signal and use two speakers, one on each side of the screen.

Since 90% of everything really comes thru the center speaker then we up the size of the center channel speakers ( most the time center channel is about the smallest speaker) and since center speakers usually don't go below 80 to 70 then using a speaker like the E-130 is really good. I converted my Dad's old C-35's with new stuff ( E-130, 2425, 2202) and used both for center speakers and the 4430's as the left and right.

just a suggestion. It's so radial that I'm sure no one would do it. But if you ever heard it, you'll wonder how you could live with out it.

Talking you'd lose if it were a bet

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959

just a suggestion. It's so radial that I'm sure no one would do it.

I've tried it both ways with two centers. One on each side AND one above and one below. As far as imaging and the soundstage, the above and below (A&B) has it all over one on either side (O&O) in my personal experience.

The O&O works great when you're in the sweet spot, but if you move left or right, the soundstage compresses with your movement rather than staying put. That's because you've moving away from half the center's output.

OTOH, the A&B keeps the soundstage pretty much right in the middle of the screen, regardless of where you move on a horizontal plane, and it tends to put the apparent sound source right in the middle of the screen.
    Now, if you were moving up and down, like riding an elevator or climbing a ladder in front of your HT, then there's be some issues with the A&B, too.

The biggest problem with A&B is that you need a high wall, so there's space both below and above the screen. Most of us don't have that much room.

My old house had ceilings rising to 17 feet, so this was not a problem. My current digs with 8' ceilings can't handle this. That is, unless I put in a smaller screen, and that's not happening.

Anyway, I'm prety pleased with the output of the PC600 as a solo center, but once I get that fourth PS1400, who knows? Another PC600 might be in the cards.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The O&O works great when you're in the sweet spot, but if you move left or right, the soundstage compresses with your movement rather than staying put. That's because you've moving away from half the center's output.
    you didn't have speakers BIGGGG enough , seriously... I'm not talking about regular speakers here. I'm talking about BIG, F**KING monsters designed just for mid-range and above. I'm sure with regular speakers I'd lose the bet, BUT, with what I'm talking about I think I'll win. You're correct with regular speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    just a suggestion. It's so radial that I'm sure no one would do it. But if you ever heard it, you'll wonder how you could live with out it.
    I was refering to the big speakers and not the O&O, that's done a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Anyway, I'm prety pleased with the output of the PC600 as a solo center, but once I get that fourth PS1400, who knows? Another PC600 might be in the cards.
    I was wondering how long you could holdout without mentioning the PS speakers

dougle post! double post!

That's some kind of foul isn't it? Or maybe it's a clever way to make your point?
    Out.

Opps, I had three windows open to the LH, so I could cut and paste the quotes easier, Lost track of "who's on first"

seriously, after I had my HT hooked up I had some friends ( 5 ) over for a listen. I ONLY had the centers operating( they didn't know that), after the first part of the matrix ( where the truck crashes into the phone), I stopped the movie and said what do you think? everyone went crazy, then I said "OK, let's hear it with the left and right and rears now.

No one believed me until I hooked them all up. But seriously whatever someone wants.

I use some Home Brewed stuff with the 2344a/2426 and 2235s among a few others per side. I ended up making a horizontal MTM with 2-2123s and a 2342/2416. I have a projector on a 108" screen and it had to fit below it in an 8' ceiling room. It keeps up with my stuff pretty well.

I didn't think it was all that necessary to have a good center channel but it realy made a diference. I had been using a Consumer JBL center and the improvement was striking.

I would suggest getting another 4430 . The closer the sound the better. (I almost said TIMBRE but I don't want to sound like a "Golden Ear" wonk).

I listen to music on a Yamaha RX-V1400 with Dolby ProLogic II. The center channel pulls it all together and it has a fairly even transition when the action pans across the screen during films.

Welcome aboard and good luck with what ever you decide,

Don M
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Centre channel for the hammered of hearing

Hi
    Here is my two cents worth,If you have a space problem and the ears have had better days try to find(For fear of being a Philistine) a Klipsch model KV4 it consisted of 2 X 8'' woffers and a tractrix horn with a 2''compression driver hanging off the back of it, 99db a1wpm so it has plenty of go ,I have used it with 4430s and it sounds great.With the Yamaha 2500 you can eq the centre to suit yourself.If you think that stinks, Widgets idea is a good one,Depending on the size of the plasma you really only need one centre speaker for 42'' -50'' as it is nicer to have a central focal point for voice.
    I have also run 3 X 4430s and that was great ,but with the 4430 as centre sitting on the floor I had troubles getting the highs at ear levels,I looked at the possibility of flying it and that went down like a cast iron kite,If that isn't a problem then fly the three of them That would cool and a pair of subs to suit,now that would be wicked
    Regards
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali
    (I almost said TIMBRE but I don't want to sound like a "Golden Ear" wonk).
    Gosh, I do... unfortunately sound like it or not, I still have the training ears I was born with. At least they aren't tin ears.

Widget

Thread Information