Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 435BE vs 2435HPL

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    now that they've moved up to "Honorable Mention" here....
    Good grief...

Is anyone sure that differences men in there 40's and 50's hear has any thing to do with response around 18k. I'm not trying to say I know more but I'm doubtful if response up there has anything to do with anything but bragging rights or perhaps marriage depending on the age and interest of your wife. I can remember televisions that emitted noises that really bothered women and men didn't hear them and I think that was around 15K. Again, I'm just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    [URL] . . . . now that they've moved up to "Honorable Mention" here . . . .
    Not sure who's opinion you are referring to here. I've been listening to the 2450 with powdered diaphragm (on the round exponential with diffuser) for many months. I have yet to compare it to the new Al 2421 diaphragms, but it is well above honorable mention, in my opinion, though not a contender for Grand Prix, and I think the 2452SL on the right horn could only be better.

As I recall reading, the titanium starts rattling at about 3-3.5 kHz, so I should think the dusted titanium diaphragms would be a desireable upgrade for any kind of SR work, cheap and merciful to ticket buyers, who, if they are like me, are merely tolerating the sound system most of the time. Downside is that it may call out for a tweeter added to two-ways.

David

Here's some food for thought. Take a look at how smooth the decay is after the Aquaplas. They sound really nice as well. The second plot is coated.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nice work Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Take a look at how smooth the decay is after the Aquaplas. They sound really nice as well.
    Thanks Rob... I agree with your earlier comment about the proof being in the listening, but these plots do seem to be a nice visual to back it up.

Widget

Yeah!

That's what is audible.

SMOOOOTH

Only goes to show that response curve ain't everything. Very good job!

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by RobH
    Here's some food for thought. Take a look at how smooth the decay is after the Aquaplas. They sound really nice as well. The second plot is coated.
    Real Nice Work Rob !

As a side note ,,,

(i) Are you able to colorize CLIOs' CSD "waterfall plots" , similar to what's seen in the following 2 pics ?
    - Due to the use of colors, I find it easier to follow ARTAs' plots ( these are borrowed pics ) when needing to establish a comparitive reference, say "halfway down a waterfall" .

(ii) Also, will CLIO display CSD plots which are measured in "Periods" , and are triggered from a gated Tone Burst ( as displayed in the last pic ) ?

??? -This second CSD seems to better highlight ( than the first CSD ) some unusual time domain behaviors ( within this particular transducers' decay signature ). This visualization ( info/behavior ) appears to be lost due ( in the first CSD ), most likely to the algorithm used to patch together the sinusoidal sweep ( or so I've read ) .

Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks Guys

Earl I don't think you can. I will give it a look when I get home but I don't remember color as an option. It's a nice one and it does make it much easier to read them.

The time slices are equal divisions of the sample time. You can select how many slices you want and it just divides them up. You can then go in and look at the levels of each slice anywhere along the frequency axis. Geez I hope I am explaining this right

I have to get back to you on the rest

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobH
    I have to get back to you on the rest
    Okay, Thanks <>

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Only goes to show that response curve ain't everything.
    Well, I'll stand up for FR here; we'd kinda like not to trash that in the process, I would presume.

Let's see 435Be for comparison.

And 275nd, which, contrary to assumption, is not the same diaphragm as 2425, I don't believe....

It has been asserted numerous times here that there was no impact upon FR, rather merely a 1 dB drop in sensitivity. I believe that's possible, if the diaphragm is operating pistonically out to 18 kHz and not relying upon "spurious" resonances for enhanced HF response. Verification with 435Be would clairify the issue.

I bring up 275nd because that was the first application of the Aquaplas damping technique to these diaphragms, to my knowledge, and my own evaluation of it revealed a smoother sound, but significant response changes requiring rework of passive filters in existing designs.

Hi Zilch,

if you have a look at the 4344mk11 schematic you can see some impediance compensation on the HF filter right behind the driver.

Ian

Will edit and delete later.

deleted
    Last edited by Guido; 09-24-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Text deleted as this discussion does not benefit from it

Thread Information