Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 435BE vs 2435HPL

In my experience 2435HPL does not "push" gracefully, perhaps because of the inherent stiffness of Be. The literature suggests it operates pistonic up to 17 kHz, anyway, plenty high enough. Aquaplas would add significant mass to that diaphragm, which I wouldn't consider advantageous.

I'm now just letting them roll off above there on 2352 horns, and it's the best sounding two-way combination running here....

norealtalent
    [quote=Guido]I want to re-fresh this thread as I own two 2435 Drivers now and think about aquaplasing or non-aquaplasing the diaphragms.

The question is now
    2435 = pure Be dia plus Ferrofluid
    435Be = aquaplased coated Be dia w/o Ferrofluid

[quote]

The stock 435's that I have seen have ferrofluid from the factory. I have pairs of both and personally compared 2435's to 435be's side by each on Smith horns. The 2435 is wonderful but has what I call a hot spot for frequencies around 10k. They're not harsh, just louder. I imagine it could be eq'ed to satisfaction. The 435be has tamed that hot spot but lost a little of the sizzle on the top end, perfect for a 3 or 4 way. Some day I'll RTA them but just haven't taken the time. There's a whole lot more to consider than these simple words, ie: what's the equipment driving them (tube or ss), what's the crossover system (2, 3 or 4 way) being used, what's the desired spl requirements. Ultimately you need to try it for yourself. At the price of used 2435's on ebay, I'd buy a pair and have them coated just for the fun of it. They are the way of the future...

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Aquaplas would add significant mass to that diaphragm, which I wouldn't consider advantageous.
    Wrong! You aren't supposed to dump a gallon of the stuff on diaphragms. The Be diaphragms also benefit from a coat of aquaplas.
    Last edited by 4313B; 05-24-2006 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Removed second half of post due to new product unavailability

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Wrong! You aren't supposed to dump a gallon of the stuff on diaphragms. The Be diaphragms also benefit from a coat of aquaplas.
    Fortunately, I don't have any Aquaplas to mess with....

Going to Mylar, are we?

[30 kHz....]

I'm still curious at what point a UHF (audio terminology) xdcr could also be considered a VLF (radio terminology) directional antenna? I know what the books say, just wonder if anyone has considered the practical implications, or have just chosen to 'wait and see' instead? Audio program material contains both FM and AM components, even though usually brief in duration, and the FCC regulates even fractional-wattage xmtrs.......

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy
    I'm still curious at what point a UHF (audio terminology) xdcr could also be considered a VLF (radio terminology) directional antenna? I know what the books say, just wonder if anyone has considered the practical implications, or have just chosen to 'wait and see' instead? Audio program material contains both FM and AM components, even though usually brief in duration, and the FCC regulates even fractional-wattage xmtrs.......
    Here is a chart from NASA. Of course soundwaves are not part of the electromagnetic spectrum... but I think you were joking about the FCC and all that...

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    No.

BTW - I had to edit my post so you guys will have to follow suit.

Most people can't afford JBL's latest and greatest because they do not offer it or at least for a reasonable price that most people can afford. The 2435 is OUTSTANDING and can be had for an affordable price on ebay.
    435 IS the 375 of the future, WATCH...

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    435 IS the 375 of the future, WATCH...
    Nice try.... but no, you are wrong... the future hasn't happened yet... the 435 has.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Here is a chart from NASA. Of course soundwaves are not part of the electromagnetic spectrum...Widget
    Then how come there's a band labeled "audio" on the NASA "electromagnetic spectrum"?:dont-know

Yeah, I was joking about the FCC....sort of.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Going to Mylar, are we?
    No.

BTW - I had to edit my post so you guys will have to follow suit.

norealtalent
    Nice try.... but no, you are wrong... the future hasn't happened yet... the 435 has.

Widget
    You are so right Widget. Please excuse me, I had a momentary lapse and almost took my own experience seriously. I'll go read the 4345 club thread for a dose of reality and do 10 hail mary's before posting anymore illegitimate thoughts based on actual experience. . .

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    You are so right Widget. Please excuse me, I had a momentary lapse and almost took my own experience seriously. I'll go read the 4345 club thread for a dose of reality and do 10 hail mary's before posting anymore illegitimate thoughts based on actual experience. . .
    You sarcastic so and so... my point is that who knows what the future may bring.... we may see a resurgence in ion tweeters or something...

I know you are in love with the 435Be, and it is indeed a fine piece, but I expect it will be superseded.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers
    The plain and simple reason for the existence of the 045Be and 045Ti is that the 435Be and 435Al (2430 and 2435 are similar) have a substantial response problem around 10 kHz...
    So unless you have a crystal ball and aren't telling us something... I wouldn't speculate what the future will be.

Widget

norealtalent
    You sarcastic so and so... I know you are in love with the 435Be, and it is indeed a fine piece, but I expect it will be superseded.

Widget
    As I said, you are so right... the 375/2440 HAS been superceded and IS still the benchmark JBL driver by which ALL others are compared...

Sarcasm? :dont-know Not from me...

Looking again for the anomaly:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...4744#post54744

It's for sure I could do with a little tweak in that area:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Moderator ????

Ok guys, time for a Chill-Pill.
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Thread Information