Thread: Good forum, bad forum

Exclamation Good forum, bad forum

Even though we have our rare mountains-out-of-molehills flare ups once or twice a year, the relative placidity, good humor, and geniality of this site are definite reasons I keep coming back. From time to time we disagree about something, either humorously or seriously, but rarely with rancor or recrimination.

So this is a good forum.

A couple of days ago I posted a thread on my intention of buying a relatively expensive Sharpvision XV-Z12000u DLP projector over on AVS Forums. I also revealed my ultimate decision to stick with my CRT projector because of some deficiencies I felt in the Sharp that made it an imprudent purchase for me.

Wow! The reaction was unreal. Digital guys feeling indignant, CRT guys fighting back with unreasoned fervor, insults, innuendo, accusations, name calling---AND a few thoughtful posts. My thought: Why bother sharing anything with this group?

So that was a bad forum for me.

So here's a big THANK YOU to all of you who make this such a nice place to be.

Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    A couple of days ago I posted a thread on my intention of buying a relatively expensive Sharpvision XV-Z12000u DLP projector...
    I recently got a Marantz DLP projector with the same HD2+ chip set.... HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID AS TO STICK WITH CRTs!!!!

While the quality and convenience of these better DLPs is irrefutable, I am certainly under the impression that a properly set up CRT with a good scaler is still slightly better than the best DLPs. That said, I am quite pleased with my Marantz... the problem for me is the software. Most of the movies that I want to watch are not the big block buster movies so the DVD authoring sucks... I haven't looked at a CRT projector in years, but the artifacts of a poorly authored DVD on a DLP projector, even the Marantz with top of the line Faroudja scaler and associated electronics are quite annoying. I'd assume the CRT smoothes them out a bit better and of course has inherently superior blacks. All I can say is, "When the hell are they going to start selling HD DVDs?"

Anyway, not to turn this into an AVS Thread, I too enjoy the generally positive tone here. Especially when I am calling out a CRT loving moron...

Widget

clmrt
    Vive Le Laserdisque!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    Vive Le Laserdisque!
    Mais oui!

I'm driving over to Long Beach to pick up 60+ LDs I just bought to add to my collection. For less than I used to pay for three new discs, I now can get all of these. Many have AC-3 sound, which as uncompressed audio sounds pretty darm good. (That's darn plus d@mn.)

I also recently went to Huntington Beach to pick up a virtually new LD player to bolster my aging fleet. I paid maybe 10 cents on the dollar for this high end wonder.

This stuff looks great on a CRT PJ. It's a little less impressive on a digital, but still quite nice and better than some of the DVD quickie versions that have been put out.
    Out.

Unhappy ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

Anyway, not to turn this into an AVS Thread, I too enjoy the generally positive tone here. Especially when I am calling out a CRT loving moron...

Widget

What can I expect from someone who ostensibly would like stuff like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Lansing-Ico...QQcmdZViewItem

:dont-know
    Out.

What can I expect from someone who ostensibly would like stuff like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Lansing-Ico...QQcmdZViewItem

:dont-know
    Would you quit mentioning it. You're driving the price up!

Widget

This stuff looks great on a CRT PJ. It's a little less impressive on a digital, but still quite nice and better than some of the DVD quickie versions that have been put out.
    That is interesting... I have zero experience with laser discs.

I don't know about quickie DVDs though. I am talking about films like Rivers and Tides, the film about the art of Andy Goldsworthy. In the theater it was visually stunning... on my 10' screen through the Marantz it was just painful.

A lot of classic Hollywood films are also horrible looking. Mrs. Gadget loves musicals like My Fair Lady... just awful. Then you put up Finding Nemo, or a block buster like Seabiscuit and wow, they are just beautiful.

Widget

Smile "Quickies"

By quickie DVDs I'm referring to Mrs. Gadget-type material that gets the cynical treatment. It's the "Let's rip it and burn it to turn a quick buck" mentality that copyright holders practice on valuable intellectual property.

I got the West Side Story DVD, thinking it to be an improvement on the LD. No way! It's junk. It looks bad, it sounds bad, even the packaging is bad. What a disappointment. To me it says "Rip and burn" all the way.

We also wasted our money on the Roman Holiday DVD. What a tragic exploitation of what could have been a wonderful disc.

In addition to better care taken in the LD production of films like these, there are also some LDs that will never be duplicated on DVD, unless of course by illegal means. Since I don't make illegal copies or buy them, then LDs are the only source. (For me, anyway. )

Now, of course, there are some LD stinkers, too, but at a couple of bucks a pop these days, it's not much of a risk.

As an analog video medium, the LD gets along with the CRT very well, and the digital sound works well in two channel or with PLII or PLIIx. In DTS and AC-3, I'd have to say it often sounds better than DVDs.
    Out.

Titanium Dome

So this is a good forum.
    ````````````````````
    A couple of days ago I posted a thread

```````````````````````````````````````````

could you link to your postings?

Sure.
    Out.

Here it is.

In AVS land, the Ti Dome is known by the alias "filecat13."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=565303
    Out.

CRT orphan looking for a good home

I've got a customer tossing out an HD CRT projector (replaced it with a Marantz DLP, I think) and maybe a Faroudja doubler. I'm probably going to pass on it, anybody in the NYC/LI area interested? The screen was already binned.

je, with about 5 LD players and Al Roker's old LD collection. My office just threw out a working Marantz DP870 yesterday, too, so now I finally will get to hear AC3. More Omnimount speaker brackets today, too. Tomorrow I've got my eye on a couple of out-of-box mis-matched JBL Control Series monitors. Back up the truck...

post #55 in that thread seems to be of some value
    ````````````````````````````````````````````````
    this type of activity on that forum and others,
    like blind people bumping into each other,then
    bitchin about the other
    ``````````````````````````````````````````

ahhh..relif...

http://www.boohbah.com/zone.html

damn,don't work
    somebody gancked the boobahs

now just wating on the apocalypse...

Thread Information