Thread: Sonic Impact T-amp

pelly3s

Sonic Impact T-amp

Has anyone used the Sonic Impact T-amp or any other T-class amp. I was thinking of buying a couple since you can find them for around $20. All the reveiws I read were great.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

dancing-dave
    Got one here for powering some Adire HE10.1 speakers. They are good amps for the money, so long as your speakers have high enough sensitivity.

pelly3s
    my plan was to use is on a pair of little full range fostex speakers in maybe a lowther design horn

clmrt
    I have one, added a 1.3ah SLA since I get paranoid with batteries - I like to keep it topped off. Used it with my Sevilles and now occasionally with my 4628's. Great detail and all that, the reviews are true. It'll play quite loud. Sooner or later I'll have a tube thingy to compare it to.

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    my plan was to use is on a pair of little full range fostex speakers in maybe a lowther design horn
    Have you listened to any of the Fostex/Lowther type systems?

I have heard several and they have quite the sonic signature... actually hearing them was quite a cathartic experience for me. Having heard their praises for years, when I finally heard one I was surprised. After I had auditioned several designs from several manufacturers, I came to the realization that we audiophiles, music lovers, gear heads, whatever have quite a range of sonic tastes. Before hearing them I naively assumed that a speaker that I thought was great, you would too... far from true. There seem to be several distinct audio flavors out there with avid followers of each. Those "full range" Fostex and Lowther designs are real temples for the midrange. They will make an L100 sound laid back.

Along those lines, if the L100 or Altec 604 is a favorite of yours you owe it to yourself to audition some Fostex or Lowther speakers... you may really hear audio nirvana.

Widget

There is a very interesting new entrant in the Lowther/Fostex full range driver world.

The CSS FR125S is a variant of the Adire WR125S XBL. It would seem to be a very useful driver in many situations.

http://www.creativesound.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Along those lines, if the L100 or Altec 604 is a favorite of yours you owe it to yourself to audition some Fostex or Lowther speakers... you may really hear audio nirvana.
    It's on my agenda, but I already know I could never have that alone. I have a Lowther TP-1 sitting in the garage under a drop cloth waiting to be reconed, etc. Someday it will be part of a mono system. I expect that cabinet will help the bass.

David

For most it would need augmentation. Worth a try for nearfield or small 5.1.

pelly3s
    I have heard a couple of lowther systems, and i have messed around with some cheaper full range drivers. there are times when single driver boxes are great to listen to. i like to keep all different styles of speakers around to suite my taste for the day

I have several of the Sonic Impact amps and like them a lot. On my front loaded horn systems the power seems almost unlimited, and their sound quality is just amazing for the almost-free selling price. They are hum free even powered by a wall wart, have very good bass, and a very pleasant and smooth sound for a solid state amp. They don't offer quite the transient speed and overall believability of my SE 45 amp, but whaddya want for $30? I highly recommend the T amp.

You guys might want to ready up on the First Watt amps .

The appear very well suited to driving the Fostex and Lowthers.

Being current source amplifiers they are easily adaptable to equalising the response of the hi sensitivity full range drivers. They may well also be appropriate for compression drivers.

http://www.firstwatt.com/articles.htm

Ian

I've got a sonic impact on the way...

Now I just need to restore my L19a speakers.

TNT recently posted a shoot out of 4 tripath amplifiers.

I think I'll get on the wait list for a Charlize.

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    Has anyone used the Sonic Impact T-amp or any other T-class amp. I was thinking of buying a couple since you can find them for around $20. All the reveiws I read were great.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

I bought my first SI-5066 from buy.com for ~$26 shipped. Got it home hooked it up and was shocked at how good it was, for what it was. It is in daily use now on a set of mini speakers in my study.

Based on my favorable first impression, I bought a second one even though I didn't have a use for it right away. (buy.com has since raised their prices by $5.)

Thread Information