Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BIC Venturi Formula 6

BIC Venturi Formula 6

Hi can anybody tell me anything about these speakers? I snapped them up for $50 on craigslist.

Thanks

When sighted walk swiftly away. These speakers were marketed to people who had somehow figured out that they were not supposed to buy Magnavox consoles.

David

Dood!! Great call!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mshaffer
    Hi can anybody tell me anything about these speakers? I snapped them up for $50 on craigslist.
    I have the full line BIC Venturi catalog buried somewhere. If you are really interested I'll dig it up.

The Formula 6 was their top of the line and as I recall from listening to them more than a quarter of a century ago, they were "boom-tizz" boxes. They were trying to cut into the L100 market but never were much of a threat to the JBLs.

I am sure you can double your money or better on ebay... or, if you like 'em, keep 'em.

Widget

Years ago, I made and sold some replacement foam grille fronts for these.

Where're you from MShaffer? We might be related.

BShaffer

pelly3s
    gotta love piezos lol jk

some xover work might clean some (much) of the sizzle

cap swap you know

Well, OK. I don't really mean to slash and burn. I'll try to be a little more articulate.

Following some of the above suggestions you could learn a lot working with these speakers. Still, I think Widget's suggestion to turn them over is the best. Set that money aside and wait for a good deal on better speakers. It happens. If money's an issue, any money spent on trying to upgrade these would likely be a loss. If you want good sound, I just think you need to start further up the line.

One of my over-riding concerns is that distortion in music reproduction adds to stress. Speakers like these induce what is known as listener fatigue. One of the symptoms is irritability. If that's what you want in your home, then keep the speakers.

The simple truth is that there is a lot of crap being made that never should have been made. Creating and selling terrible speakers to ostensibly provide someone the means of enjoying the beauty of music is like creating high-sugar soft drinks to quench thirst. They have exactly the opposite effect. It is morally equivalent to giving someone a stone who has asked for bread. It's not OK.

(In my family this is called "getting on your high horse," but there it is.)

David

Thanks, I'll just put them on ebay.

and keep the altecs

pianis
    Quote Originally Posted by mshaffer
    I apologise that it's been a while since this thread was started, but I wanted to chime in to give a positive word about the Formula 6's for others who may be searching for info on them.

Firstly, I have read that there were apparently 3 revisions - 2 of them had 6 drivers and the last revision had 4. It might be worthwhile noting which revisions people are complaining about

I have had the 6 driver version for about 15 years. Contrary to speakerdave's experience, I have found them to have the opposite effect of listener fatigue - I am constantly drawn to listen to them (as are my guests!). And at least with classical music, particularly solo piano, the sound is extremely natural.

Of course they don't excel with every recording technique or music style, and just like any speaker I wouldn't imagine them to sound the same on other people's equipment. In fact I can remember not liking the sound when I hooked them up to someone's Harmon Kardon system (they had been storing the speakers for me).

The only other speakers I've heard that have a similar sound are the various "Reference Series" Klipsch floorstanding speakers. I'm not intending to compare the 2, but they are the only speakers I've heard that I intend to replace my Formula 6's when they eventually die.

Formula 6

Great idea to sell them.
    With the $50 you may get back go and buy wine to that value ,that would be a better and far more enjoyable to way to get a headache
    Michael

pianis
    Not meaning to annoy anyone who doesn't like these speakers, I ran across a posting regarding the value of these speakers which may or may not be useful for someone searching for information on them. Below is the link and I have quoted it in case the link dies in the future:

http://f16.parsimony.net/forum27133/messages/3926.htm

"The BIC Venturi Formula Six and Formula Seven are rare collector's items if they are complete and all original. The exception being the foam grill covers, which all disentigrated many years ago. If you have a complete original set, it's worth finding a woodworker and having custom fronts made for them. Even if they have pushed in cones on the UPPER range speakers (quite common, and does not effect the value much) or are generally even not in great shape. Woofer damage of any type will have a very serious effect on the value of the speakers. Keep in mind that unless you come across an extremely rare original replacement, placing reproduction upgrades in your boxes will devalue the speakers overall. A set with all original speakers - pushed in cones and all - is worth 2-3 time what a set loaded full of brand new reproduction components.

The prices and applications quoted above are essentially correct. The Formula Six and Seven indeed were most popular in the club scene due to their high SPL output, clarity, and relative efficiency, As to the original question, the Formula Six originally sold for 580.00 on the common market. Complete, all original sets go anywhere from 400.00 to 2000.00. 400.00 being complete and working, but in poor condition; 2000.00 being pristine new and unused with all original materials - minus the original covers."

Boy this is an old thread..I know they made at least 2 versions of these. I had the first version with 6 drivers which I bought used back in the early 80's and I first ran them with a tube Sherwood amplifier. They have an incredible sound...very smooth and quite efficient. I would compare them soundwise with a set of JBL L65 Jubals I once owned. Never felt fatigued when I used them.The earlier posts may have heard the 2nd version with 4 drivers. When I first heard the second version I thought they were one of the worst speakers I had ever heard.These were suppost to be improved over the first version and I could never figure out what happened.I never really liked any of their other products. Sometimes speakers just seem to work like the Dahlquist DQ10's. If you look at the crappy quality of some of the componients they should sound horrible but they don't (except for that cheap Motorola peizo)....I sold the BIC's about 3 years ago only because of the lack of room. They brought quite a bit of money on Epay so others must like them as well. I've also found that just because a vintage speaker has a great name on it doesn't mean it sounds good. Last year I bought a very nice pair of L100's at a garage sale and couldn't listen to them for very long. If I hadn't remembered that I disliked L100's the first time I heard them I would think there was problems with the crossover or one of the drivers. I do know that many people like them and I made the guy that bought them very happy. I'm not putting the L100's down ...they just don't sound good to me.The fact that everyone hears speakers differently is one of the things that makes this an interesting hobby...... I do love my L-300's and would never sell them no matter what anyone says!

Greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    When sighted walk swiftly away. These speakers were marketed to people who had somehow figured out that they were not supposed to buy Magnavox consoles.

David
    Walk away? These are worth $400 in crappy shape. $2000 if perfect. Seems like the market may disagree with you.
    Greedy
    The BIC Venturi Formula Six and Formula Seven are rare collector's items if they are complete and all original. The exception being the foam grill covers, which all disentigrated many years ago. If you have a complete original set, it's worth finding a woodworker and having custom fronts made for them. Even if they have pushed in cones on the UPPER range speakers (quite common, and does not effect the value much) or are generally even not in great shape. Woofer damage of any type will have a very serious effect on the value of the speakers. Keep in mind that unless you come across an extremely rare original replacement, placing reproduction upgrades in your boxes will devalue the speakers overall. A set with all original speakers - pushed in cones and all - is worth 2-3 time what a set loaded full of brand new reproduction components.
    The prices and applications quoted above are essentially correct. The Formula Six and Seven indeed were most popular in the club scene due to their high SPL output, clarity, and relative efficiency, As to the original question, the Formula Six originally sold for 580.00 on the common market. Complete, all original sets go anywhere from 400.00 to 2000.00. 400.00 being complete and working, but in poor condition; 2000.00 being pristine new and unused with all original materials - minus the original covers.ome research.

Thread Information