Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4320 update w/2405

Re: 4320

Originally posted by Dave G
    I have a D50SM which is the same box with 375 mid and 075 bullet. The vents should be in the front in the form of ports no rear venting on these?
    Hey, Dave G...

That is a beauty! Do you know what the network is? And, is it passive, or are you biamping?

Nice!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete

Re: Re: 077 & 2405

Originally posted by boputnam
    Or confuse...

So, they don't even sell an 8R diaphram for the 2405H (the nominal 8-ohm copy)... ??
    Never have to my knowledge. I've owned 077's, 2405's, and 2405H's and there isn't any electrical difference. JBL Engineering treats the 077/2405/2405H as a 10 ohm load.

From my post in the last forum:

"Ok, so we have been around the block on this one with the LE15A and LE85.

Is there such a thing as an 8 ohm 2405H? JBL only sells a D16R2405 diaphragm.

With the 2421 where there was an 8 and 16 ohm version sold, they have both diaphragms available."

JBL basically treats the 077/2405 as a 10 ohm transducer. That's all it's ever been regardless of what they stamp on the outside to appease hi-fi consumers or Pros.

The LE85/2420/2421B is usually treated as a 12 ohm transducer.

The LE15A is usually treated as a 10 ohm transducer.

Re: Re: Re: 077 & 2405

Originally posted by Giskard
    JBL Engineering treats the 077/2405/2405H as a 10 ohm load.
    Got it. Thanks.

Oh, and I tried to preserve that groovy royalblue - ya dig?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

dkorn
    Originally posted by Dave G
    Hello dkorn

Thats makes 2 known pairs of speakers of this vintage and type in the UK.

I can help with info and beware of who you deal with for parts and advice as I was ripped off by 'experts' in this country.

I have a D50SM which is the same box with 375 mid and 075 bullet. The vents should be in the front in the form of ports no rear venting on these?
    I'm in Paris, France, actually !
    The enclosures are branded "4502WX". There are four pegs sticking out a 1/2 inch in the rear panel. Broker had a pair way back and told me they were vents that had been filled. Looks more to me like distance holders, installed to insure a certain distance between the rear panel and a mounting wall, whatever. Anyone care to confirm? I could chisel them out if that's the case
    I'll take a pic when I have a minute. They are in pretty good condition, but they probably weren't in a smoke free environment !

Dave G

Holes in rear.

Mine had large hanging hooks in rear. As they would have been hung in front of the desk from the wall. Of course I filled the holes with dowels.

My cabs have 4502 with no letter prefix on the metal badge.

These came and were designed passive. The combination of these drivers and crossovers was known as a 'S8' option. The other blank in the rear is filled with a N7000 type crossover. These are rare to say the least in europe. You might find some friendly forum members willing to sell you some as they are considered slightly below par compared to latter designs. Oh the other is a 500 hz crossover compared to yours which is likely to crossover at about 1200 hz as the bigger format drivers work down lower.

Is everything else on these working and sounding good?

dkorn
    Hanging hooks... That sounds logical. Mine have prolly been soffited at some point, or hung, and then those pegs were put in the holes.
    The WX refers to them being walnut instead of "white". The crossover is probably the 3110 (it's not mentioned outside), that crossovers at 800Hz according to the 4320 brochure.
    Apart from that, yes, they sound absolutely great. I feared that they wouldn't without some room tuning, EQ, change of amplifier, etc. Also, I had bought a pair of Quad 405 before getting them, in case more power would be needed to move those 2215 (and possibly bi-amp them if needed).
    Well, I just hooked them to my Denon PMA 2000 (big, heavy 2 x 80W preamp/amp) and it just... works. Actually, I can't set the volume over a quarter of its range. I live in central Paris, and I can actually walk to the end of the street and still hear the music. Better than a Walkman!
    They sound really good, even at low level --lots of space. At higher levels, Mids are a little hard/harsh (part of the JBL sound, I guess, it's also the case on the 4310), which is why I want to fit 2405s, thinking it may somewhat help by offloading the HF driver. Of course, the crossover frequency wil be @ 8K, way above "mids", but I hope to be able to achieve a smoother overall balance in the sound without resorting to EQ. If not, well it can't hurt to have an extended frequency range, or?

Dave G

All good!

A lot of forum members do experiment with different amps and preamps. You might be able to reduce apparent midrange harshness by using a valve nice valve amp. I amp using a old accuphase transistor amp and a old pioneer valve thing. The quads are quite good, my friend has one. He also has 4312 so I know exactly why you are keen on this equipment!

The bottom line is that these are still good even today, many will not understand of course. I don't even consider them that big!

Look foward to the pictures!

Tom Loizeaux
    After doing some more reading and research recently, I think my "4320s" may actually be 4331s! Check my photo to the left and see the cabinet in the lower right. They came with 2215 B woofers, 2420 compression drivers w/ 2307 horns and 2308 lenses and had no crossovers. I added the 2405s in new holes centered above the lenses and installed two pair of banana plugs and a 3106 in each cabinet. So now they are bi-amped with the 2405s running passively from the 3106 crossovers.
    I have discovered that JBL made a few variations of the 4320 that hade a same cabinet, but used different port numbers and lengths depending on the woofers used. Some were passivly crossed over, some were bi-amped, some were 2-way, while some were 3-way. In any case, they were the beginning of JBL's studio monitor line.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 09-21-2003 at 07:08 PM.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

4333B's had a different cabinet, one port, 2 holes for the 2405, so You could get less or more separation, 2312 horns (800Hz), and 2231 woofers, just like the L300's, also they had a 3 way xcover not 2 2-ways.

Alex.

dkorn
    Speaking of which, if anybody has a pair of 3106 to spare, give me a whistle. I just found a pair or 2405 for my little UHF project...

biamp

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux View Post
    After doing some more reading and research recently, I think my "4320s" may actually be 4331s! Check my photo to the left and see the cabinet in the lower right. They came with 2215 B woofers, 2420 compression drivers w/ 2307 horns and 2308 lenses and had no crossovers. I added the 2405s in new holes centered above the lenses and installed two pair of banana plugs and a 3106 in each cabinet. So now they are bi-amped with the 2405s running passively from the 3106 crossovers.
    I have discovered that JBL made a few variations of the 4320 that hade a same cabinet, but used different port numbers and lengths depending on the woofers used. Some were passivly crossed over, some were bi-amped, some were 2-way, while some were 3-way. In any case, they were the beginning of JBL's studio monitor line.

Tom
    sorry mister tom but i know ,how i biamp in passive mode 3110e n7000 cross,thank and i wait your gentle aswer,i,dont speak well english.grazie vito.

Thread Information