Thread: LE5 Midrange driver question

LE5 Midrange driver question

What is the difference acoustically and application-wise between all the different 5" drivers? I know the LE5-2 was in several L-series cabinets. But what about the LE5-5? LE5-9? Are they roughly, but not exactly, interchangeable? Thanks.

While he's looking for the complete solution data, I will say... the LE5-2, LE5-5 and LE5-9 all share the SAME moving assembly and magnet strength. For all intents and purposes, they SOUND identical. Any difference is primarily "cosmetic"... if ANY, whatsoever.

Regards,
    Gordon.

RIP 2009
    Here's a copy of the LE-5 matrix that's been posted before:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW View Post
    While he's looking for the complete solution data, I will say... the LE5-2, LE5-5 and LE5-9 all share the SAME moving assembly and magnet strength. For all intents and purposes, they SOUND identical. Any difference is primarily "cosmetic"... if ANY, whatsoever.

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Forgive me all but I posted this question on the technical forum, but it seems you are answering.
    I thought the LE5-9 (in my 4411's) is different than the LE5-2 which are in L100's?
    They definitely are built different. I bought a replacement for my 4411's but realized after it is a LE5-2 with the concave voice coil and Alnico magnets.
    All this doesn't matter then?
    Thanks for your help...
    Lou

LE5-5, -9, and -11 seem to share the same specs:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5706

LE5-2 is round wire, and different....

I wonder why the ceramics have a weaker field. Is this driver the only case?

Quote Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
    ... it is a LE5-2 with the concave voice coil ...
    That would be an inverted, or concave dust cover.

The voice coil is beneath that, protected by it (hence the "dust" ), and quite ordinary...

Otherwise, please try the SEARCH function and innumerable strings - there is TONS of info on these cuties all through this place. You will learn a great deal.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    I wonder why the ceramics have a weaker field. Is this driver the only case?
    Less magnetic material, more area under the curve on the bottom, less of a rising response on the top. I remember a conversation way back then when JBL switched that driver from AlNiCo to ferrite and they were pleased to find that the conversion yielded smoother response as well as lower distortion. I was told these pleasant effects were "unexpected".

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    That would be an inverted, or concave dust cover.

The voice coil is beneath that, protected by it (hence the "dust" ), and quite ordinary...

Otherwise, please try the SEARCH function and innumerable strings - there is TONS of info on these cuties all through this place. You will learn a great deal.
    Actually I explained in another post that I had read through all the info I could find on the site, but I wasn't able to find the aural differences of the units. I had sent an email to a moderator to explain my error in posting in the technical area, but did not receive a reply.
    Sorry, yes I realize it is a dust cover for the voice coil.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Less magnetic material, more area under the curve on the bottom, less of a rising response on the top. I remember a conversation way back then when JBL switched that driver from AlNiCo to ferrite and they were pleased to find that the conversion yielded smoother response as well as lower distortion. I was told these pleasant effects were "unexpected".
    Giskard,

It is posts like yours above that make this site a place to enjoy and learn; simple and small pieces of trivia that ensure I learn more here by accident than by design (and in this case so did JBL )... ...
    Paying debt to Karma...

Actually I explained in another post that I had read through all the info I could find on the site, but I wasn't able to find the aural differences of the units. I had sent an email to a moderator to explain my error in posting in the technical area, but did not receive a reply.
    Don't fret the post location - that may or may not get remedied.

Your question is difficult, because the "aural" performance (if I understand what you mean...) is impacted by the application, i.e., crossover topology, placement on the baffle, cabinet and listening conditions (of the room and listener... ). There are many variables in prescribing acoustic response. These drivers are similar, but each have their own characteristics that have been variably described in a bunch of threads - it is nowhere compiled...

-----

A bit about the response of the LE-series from use of 3.5 mH inductor, here Acoustic isolation chamber for LE5-series...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    LE5-2 is round wire, and different....
    And there was a version with a ribbon wire voice coil.

The LE5-2 has a characteristic of rising response. A chart was posted - but without the siblings it alone won't be that impressive. I'll try and find it...

-----

Try LE5 Matrix by Techbot. The LE5-9, LE5H, LE5-11 and 2105 are identical.
    More pithy info in the Help upgrading L-88P...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Forgive me all but I posted this question on the technical forum, but it seems you are answering.
    I thought the LE5-9 (in my 4411's) is different than the LE5-2 which are in L100's?
    They definitely are built different. I bought a replacement for my 4411's but realized after it is a LE5-2 with the concave voice coil and Alnico magnets.
    All this doesn't matter then?
    Thanks for your help...
    Lou
    I think the answer you are looking for is that you will want to match the the two mid range drivers. Very desirable to have two of the same model drivers (as in each of the right and left systems) close in specs. The LE5-2 and the LE5-9 are not acoustically similar. You should continue looking for the LE5-9 or the the pro model number 2105H.

David F

Thread Information