View Poll Results: Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 77.94%
  • No

10 14.71%
  • Don't Know

5 7.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

?

Well, I've really thought about it twice now, and I still can't decide, largely because it can easily spill over into Technical. I appreciate Ian's dilemma. "Here's what I did and how I did it. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, criticisms, alternative approaches, or etc., post 'em separately...."

I suppose if we could really restrict ourselves to simple exposition, formatted like a published article, perhaps, or several on the same specific subject: Building an N3134 crossover, Refoaming woofers, Cabinet refinishing, Upgrading L200, etc., as subforums, but for me, the other stuff is intimately intertwingled therewith. I just can't unwrap myself from the inherent technical issues, and the desire to explore them here.

However, I would also like to be able to find all the iterations of a particular project in a dedicated space. "Search" gets tougher every day.

Focus may be my problem: It's a POLL, and Zilchster the Incorrigible wants to DISCUSS it!

[Forgive me, Miss Orchid....]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Well, I've really thought about it twice now, and I still can't decide, largely because it can easily spill over into Technical.
    Not really. The header is Technical Help. The problem might be in the description - "Discussions on repairing, restoring or upgrading Lansing products".

I guess it would have been more tidy if the Technical Help subforum had been left as a place to answer Technical Help questions pertaining to repairing, restoring, or upgrading Lansing products. It now has a considerable number of threads devoted to modifications and projects in it that have nothing to do with providing technical help on repairing, restoring, or upgrading Lansing products.

dancing-dave
    I think that threads in this sub-section should be based on step-by-step guides approved by the administrators. Then each guide can have it's own thread limited only to technical comments/questions (e.g. no congradulatory messages). There has been some wonderful work already completed that qualifies for this section. Thus the only real task is consolodating this info into a guide format that the novice can use.

Well

My thoughts are the Technical section is restricted to JBL and Altec tech talk!

So a sub category for mods, DIY, and other tricks, not neccesarily for JBL products alone can be good!
    scottyj

Wink Let's test the faithful.

Perhaps we could simply rename the Technical Help to Orthodox JBL and call the new one Heterodox JBL?

My orthodoxy is your heterodoxy.
    Out.

Forgive me, Mz. Orchid....
    Miss Orchid. Thank you.

Perhaps we could simply rename the Technical Help to Orthodox JBL and call the new one Heterodox JBL?

I don't understand.

lfh

Issue #1

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Yes there are problems but we need to be unified about what the issues are so a strategy and action plan and resources can be put in place.
    Yep, let's start to this end. I suggest we all post our #1 concern.

Personally I consider the lack of simple means to collect reference type of information an order of magnitude more troublesome than occasional misplaced posts or interleaved OT in "serious" threads.

By "simple means" I mean a database and/or hierarchy with distinct "nodes" for every relevant Lansing product, for all major projects undertaken by forumites, as well as for other frequently discussed topics, whereupon we can collect the important bits and pieces on the fly and also tidy up the information as time allows.

In short: The forum is excellent for discussions, but conclusions and results belong elsewhere IMO.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by lfh
    Yep, let's start to this end. I suggest we all post our #1 concern.

Personally I consider the lack of simple means to collect reference type of information an order of magnitude more troublesome than occasional misplaced posts or interleaved OT in "serious" threads.

By "simple means" I mean a database and/or hierarchy with distinct "nodes" for every relevant Lansing product, for all major projects undertaken by forumites, as well as for other frequently discussed topics, whereupon we can collect the important bits and pieces on the fly and also tidy up the information as time allows.

In short: The forum is excellent for discussions, but conclusions and results belong elsewhere IMO.
    Going back to some earlier comments, let's get things organized before we restructure. The critical issues here are the how and the who.

Clearly there has to be a method that's consistent with the forum's current software, and clearly it's more than a one-man job. The job certainly can't fall to Don or John while everyone sits back and waits.
    Out.

Repair & Restoration (was Technical Help)
    Discussions on repairing, restoring or upgrading Lansing products to factory specifications

Modification & DIY (new)
    Discussions on modifications, "hybrids", "clones" and new designs using Lansing components
    I think this is a very good starting point. It may not be the absolutely ideal scenario, but it is easily implemented and gets us closer to our goal of lessening the confusion. It would also add a level of control we don't currently have while performing searches.

It would also be possible to weed through the legacy threads and populate the new areas with threads that are clearly useful and the remainder of the old threads that meander about could simply be put in a read only (Old Technical Threads) area.

By "simple means" I mean a database and/or hierarchy with distinct "nodes" for every relevant Lansing product, for all major projects undertaken by forumites, as well as for other frequently discussed topics...
    The moderators and administrators of the forum have discussed this and while we are all in agreement that we would like this functionality, it appears that we have certain technical and man power issues that make it impractical at this time.

Widget

Arrow Ti Dome goes wild

Even though I run a nonprofit corporation and don't spend money when I don't have to, I've always subscribed to the idea that you get what you pay for. When I need expertise or personpower that's outside the ken of my staff, I outsource.

I think one solution might be to pay someone to go through this site under Don's and John's supervision and make the needed fixes once and for all. The the only question is cost.

Yes, cost is a difficult question to answer, but it pales in comparison to all the ambiguity that we'll have if we try to cobble this effort together ourselves. For me in a situation like this, the cost of buying expertise is always more efficient than trying to create it (often with dubious results).

In this case the questions become, "Who will do it?" and "How much will it cost,?" followed by "How will we raise the money?"

I think Don, John, and the moderators can tackle the first and second questions. The rest of us could work on the last one.

I'm sure I've got a nice pair of JBLs and maybe an amp, receiver, or pre/pro that could factor into a fundraising effort. Anyone else? Maybe some of us can just cough up some $$ or tap a well-heeled acquaintance (personal or corporate) on the shoulder. Does Harman/JBL have somebody they'd loan us for a couple of weeks? I have a staff IT guy who could do this in a couple of weeks, no problem, but of course, I need him to work for me.

Don, do we have a 501(c)(3) from the Feds? If not, I can help us get one. This helps with tax breaks for donors.

Yes, yes, I know I'm being a bit pushy with ideas. But I'm into finding solutions to this impediment to our success. If you guys think it's too much, then simply push back.
    Out.

How many...

angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Oh, and also...

"My point : While the addition of a M&DIY forum may, indeed, be a good step forward, the imposition of restrictions to circumvent "pollution" of R&R by any material which is not "pure and correct" by some arbitrary definition (or, by some moderator's opinion,) will unduly restrict the exposition of available, often viable, options."

Indubitably, BUT...

Are you speaking of in sub-atomic or hyper-dimensional space-time?

Well are ya...punk!

Go ahead....

make

my

DAYYYYYY!!!!!!!
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Before or after you pull their wings off?

Not me...YOU pull 'em off!
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Thread Information