View Poll Results: Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 77.94%
  • No

10 14.71%
  • Don't Know

5 7.35%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

Quote Originally Posted by lfh
    That said, I would not personally be annoyed if the thread would continue within the proposed R&R forum. The objective is still "repair", and sometimes unorthodox repair methods are called for. This is so to speak "modification by necessity" rather than "modification by desire". (To make such posting practice tolerable to the structure-purist, the definition could be relaxed to e.g. "...primarily to factory specifications.")
    Fine. Here's the actual thread. You be moderator and decide which posts to delete:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=8038

I'd be using my trusty Sawzall to install LE14A, a factory option, actually.

Or, would we prefer: "$300? Yer DREAMIN', dude...."

Having reread the initial post, it's clear that the thread does not even belong in the proposed R&R forum, though the originator might have thought it did, since he wants to install "what originally came in it," yet proposes a non-standard driver complement.

As moderator, I think I'd avoid the entire hassle and just move it over to the M&DIY forum.

Too messy....

lfh

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Having reread the initial post, it's clear that the thread does not even belong in the proposed R&R forum, though the originator might have thought it did, since he wants to install "what originally came in it," yet proposes a non-standard driver complement.

As moderator, I'd avoid the entire hassle and just move it over to the M&DIY forum.
    Given that it's about cabinets from the JBL Enclosure Series about which one can read the following in the posted literature

"OR DESIGN YOUR OWN

Blank uncut baffles are also available, should you want to challenge your ingenuity and develop your own system."

I'd say either forum is fine in this particular case. This is orthodox DIY, folks!

(Besides I know where to get some 2203A:s. PM me if interested. )

Someone wake me up when something actually happens

send beer
    then i`ll liven up the place
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Don and I exchanged PMs about an unrelated issue recently... he has been swamped at work. Hopefully he'll get some daylight and be able to cruise this thread and make some recommendations.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I specifically cited that example because it illustrates the issues you have raised over the past couple of weeks, i.e., unsupported Franken-stuff.

SO, this is illusory? I'm only IMAGINING there's an issue here? Lfh says, "No problem, let it be...."

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I specifically cited that example because it's full of the issues you have raised over the past couple of weeks, i.e., unsupported Franken-stuff.

SO, this is illusory? I'm only IMAGINING there's an issue here? Lfh says, "No problem, let it be...."
    Hey Zilch,

I have no idea what you are saying. Are you suggesting that Ian and the rest are trying to fix something that isn't broken. Are you saying that this proposed fix won't deal with certain complexities?

If you don't mind, please reiterate you point. Thanks,

Widget

To reiterate: I think the idea of separating repair and restoration from DIY and mods is likely a good step, however, it's clear R&R will frequently (if not nearly always) incorporate mods, thus obscuring the distinction. Not a big problem, since the primary R&R objective is retained.

Ian, likely representing others as well, has recently emphasized a secondary distinction, that R&R must be pure and "correct," i.e., "to original specifications," and anyone with any other suggestions or ideas not fully supported by the "official" literature should not post them as a response in R&R. Lfh would apparently allow diluting this, somewhat, to "substantially" to original specifications, or, perhaps, "somewhat" to original specifications, on a case by case basis.

My point: While the addition of a M&DIY forum may, indeed, be a good step forward, the imposition of restrictions to circumvent "pollution" of R&R by any material which is not "pure and correct" by some arbitrary definition (or, by some moderator's opinion,) will unduly restrict the exposition of available, often viable, options.

It seems there is a desire to restrict R&R to some perceived "official" limitations upon correctness. Instead, if someone posts a bad suggestion, let others step up and say so: "Now, Zilch, that's a REALLY stupid approach...."

If I may...and I will ...I'd like to add to the "Repair/Restoration" vs. "Mod/DIY" dilemma. Some parts original to a given model are no longer available/supported by the factory, but usually there is a factory recommended "last resort" substitution available per the factory pointed out
    in some service lit. I do think there should be some lattitude tolerated in the R&R section so long as it follows the spirit of OEM-ness. When something crosses the line such as Akira's well-executed L100(?)/4311+2405(077) mod....that should go into Mod/DIY territory....as well as...e.g....replacing a NLA 044 with a Morel tweeter. I'm confident that most members would agree that when starting with an existing vintage JBL model system, the first inclination would be to restore it. If you're piecing together a system to clone or make custom...then it's Mod/DIY.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

"My point: While the addition of a M&DIY forum may, indeed, be a good step forward, the imposition of restrictions to circumvent "pollution" of R&R by any material which is not "pure and correct" by some arbitrary definition (or, by some moderator's opinion,) will unduly restrict the exposition of available, often viable, options."

Hello Zilch

I don't think this is really all that difficult. What's pure and correct is what the JBL engineering staff put's it stamp of approval on. The 4344, 4430, L26, L100 or what have you. Any stock system falls into this. If you want to restore a pair of L26's, where the woofers were changed due to foam rot or what have you the correct replacement would be the 125A as an example. Could you use a 127A's?? Sure!! same T/S parameters. Would it be correct??? No. The L26 was never built with 127A the L40's were. We don't want arbitrary decissions just something that is factual and will bring the speaker back to it's as design response and function.

I have several clones 4344, 811C, XPL-200A. If I need information on them to build them stock I would go to Tech Help or R+R. To show the build history or explore non stock changes DIY. Nothing is ever cut and dry we will always have some thread that are hard to place but you do the best you can and leave it at that.

If you wanted to build/restore completely original 4343's today you would have a very hard time as the 2231 kits are long gone. There are times when you have no choice when doing R+R simply because you must use what's available and supported by JBL. If you went into the R+R forum with what drivers do I need to restore a 4343 you would be told a 2231A 2121 2420 and a 2405. It would then be acceptable to then point out that the 2231A drivers only have 2235 kits available for recone. The 2420 has a 2425 or 2421 diaphrams as options as well not the original 2420 diaphram which is no longer available.

Rob

How many...

angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Oh, and also...

"My point : While the addition of a M&DIY forum may, indeed, be a good step forward, the imposition of restrictions to circumvent "pollution" of R&R by any material which is not "pure and correct" by some arbitrary definition (or, by some moderator's opinion,) will unduly restrict the exposition of available, often viable, options."

Indubitably, BUT...

Are you speaking of in sub-atomic or hyper-dimensional space-time?

Well are ya...punk!

Go ahead....

make

my

DAYYYYYY!!!!!!!
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Before or after you pull their wings off?

Not me...YOU pull 'em off!
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun
    Are you speaking of in sub-atomic or hyper-dimensional space-time?
    By the proposed definition, any suggestion to upgrade using foam grilles on a speaker that didn't originally come with them might be deemed "unwelcome."

[If we didn't just happen to LIKE you and your product so much.... ]

Thread Information