View Poll Results: Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 77.94%
  • No

10 14.71%
  • Don't Know

5 7.35%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I have no problem with your post. I think it's a good and creative approach to a solution. Do not take this personally:

We're having a discussion about the implications of the newly defined R&R forum. I cited that thread as an example for discussion. The presumption is that it would be in R&R, hypothetically, and the question was, what there might not comply with the new definition.

I suggested that the entire thread would appropriately be moved to M&DIY. You seem to agree with that. Do you believe your post would appropriately remain in an R&R thread under the proposed definition?
    No...I was just proposing a solution to ressurect a 2203, from recycled 2235 parts, provided the VC and cone thickness are close donor matches. It was never intended as a "restore"....as it is currently, 2203's cannot be restored with factory intended parts. Thanks for your "creative approach" comment.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Let's stop pounding the shit out of this rather simple idea, and move on to something more productive. On the subject of the 2203... JBL does have a history of keeping track on their wish list. If enough people contact JBL looking for recone kits for their 2203s it is always possible that they will do "one last run" of kits. It is always a good idea to ask, and be patient rather than to write off the driver and cannibalize it when there might be an alternative down the road.

Widget

I said as much in post 72.

Would it not be a good idea to close the discussion at this point unless someone can bring new and fresh ideas to the table.

regards

Ian

And upgrades?

Formerly part of R&R, do we presume they are a "Mod" unless explicitly sanctioned by JBL?

And upgrades?

Formerly part of R&R, do we presume they are a "Mod" unless explicitly sanctioned by JBL?
    Absolutely!

"Would it not be a good idea to close the discussion at this point...
    "

I agree with you Ian, but I am hoping that Don will pop in...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Absolutely!
    Fine.

I'm ready to vote now....

Let's keep it going for another 20 posts or so and really beat it to death!

Rob

Yeah before someone chews all the paint off the Cott!,

Otis has already made an executive decision! Just do it.

Ian

Absolutely!

"Would it not be a good idea to close the discussion at this point..."

I agree with you Ian, but I am hoping that Don will pop in...

Widget

Let's stop pounding the shit out of this rather simple idea, and move on to something more productive. On the subject of the 2203... JBL does have a history of keeping track on their wish list. If enough people contact JBL looking for recone kits for their 2203s it is always possible that they will do "one last run" of kits. It is always a good idea to ask, and be patient rather than to write off the driver and cannibalize it when there might be an alternative down the road.

Widget
    Sorry to beat this to death...but....I can't always afford to be patient...I have a business to run, and if I can come up with a feasible solution, I'll do it.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Maybe a fresh idea...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I said as much in post 72.

Would it not be a good idea to close the discussion at this point unless someone can bring new and fresh ideas to the table.

regards

Ian

Someone start a separate DIY web site linked from this site.

Simple (??) as that ?

Maybe has already been suggested?

I am REALLY trying to be helpful here.

Bob S.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Bob,

That is not what this thread is about (but thanks for the thought).

What some are trying to turn it into is a somewhat defensive stance on what they see as their own ideals and they represent the minority.

This is not a personal statement but a fact. People are creature of habbit,those habbits ad attitudes become their ideals and a way of doing things and its natural they will resist change even for the benefit of the majority.

Quite frankly I find that rather selfish.

Some of the best efforts here are the clones. They come with drawings and specs, right down to the paint color mix, not to mention construction techniques.

BUT, many of the departures have equal standing in my recollection: Pangea's MTM's and the interactive design process getting there, sebackman's HT ensemble, the super cool Sub 1500 packages. Everybody's got their favorites, no doubt.

L200's deserve their own forum, probably. 4430's and 434x's certainly do. Or, more generally, maybe, it's two-way, three-way, four-way? DIY crossovers need their own place, as well.

Then there's the "How To's," some of the most useful information here: Refoaming, grille replacement, diaphragms, refinishing, room treatment, testing....

I, too, am thinking about approaches to structure. Too hard to find this good stuff among 6000 threads and 50,000+ posts, and there's more coming all the time. Lotsa talent here....
    Zilch is right on spot. And if I may add, this is coming from my I 'n S (Identify and Solve) method of thinking. The problem is too much useful information getting lost. The best way out is to organize that information. How, is the next logical question. A possible solution could be to force members to post/create threads that are VERY specific to the designated areas created for specific threads. How you 'force' that is beyoud me. Zilch, one of the admins here may know how to use the technology to do that. The problem I see with that though is that the discussions here are mostly organic and so are the ever growing topics/areas/projects. Therefore, containing them cannot be expected to be an easy enterprise.The particular problem with also is how many areas do you create that would accomodate topics yet to be discussed. Despite the extensive areas convered here, it cannot be said that all matters on the focus of this forum have been discussed. Perhaps the way around this is to get propective threads submitted to admins, who would create the thread in a particular colum, e.g "DIY Subs" or "New Project". I may have convolute the matter. My thought process is clear. I think. I offer my time now to help put all information/post to enable those present and those that are to come, to be able to access information here efficiently. Why you ask. Well I'm a new member here, and from my experience, I know how much help it would be to someone else. Also, it's a way of giving back to all the kind people here who've helped and are helping my presently stalled project.
    Music, I say, is the first love I will miss, when I die.

Zilch is right on spot?

Not with statements like "L200's deserve their own forum, probably."

I just decided to look through the titles in the Technical Help forum. What a mess...

Zilch is right on spot.

This thread has gotten strangely personal...

I don't think Zilch is against the ideas put forth by lfh and endorsed by myself and others as much as he doesn't seem to think it will work... or at least that's how I interpret his responses... other responses on this thread are all over the map.

Assuming we make these changes I am confident it will not clear up the mud completely, but it should help dilute it a bit and make the Technical area a bit more useful for all of us.

Widget

"I don't think Zilch is against the ideas put forth by lfh and endorsed by myself and others as much as he doesn't seem to think it will work... or at least that's how I interpret his responses... other responses on this thread are all over the map."

Hello Widget

I think the bottom line is it will be better than we have now. Nothings ever going to be perfect or make everyone happy. We need to get something done before we have another 1000 posts and another 1000 members. We can always pilot run it and make changes as we go. We just have to make it happen.

Rob

Thread Information