View Poll Results: Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 77.94%
  • No

10 14.71%
  • Don't Know

5 7.35%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

Does the main forum need a DIY or Modifications subforum?

?

Well, I've really thought about it twice now, and I still can't decide, largely because it can easily spill over into Technical. I appreciate Ian's dilemma. "Here's what I did and how I did it. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, criticisms, alternative approaches, or etc., post 'em separately...."

I suppose if we could really restrict ourselves to simple exposition, formatted like a published article, perhaps, or several on the same specific subject: Building an N3134 crossover, Refoaming woofers, Cabinet refinishing, Upgrading L200, etc., as subforums, but for me, the other stuff is intimately intertwingled therewith. I just can't unwrap myself from the inherent technical issues, and the desire to explore them here.

However, I would also like to be able to find all the iterations of a particular project in a dedicated space. "Search" gets tougher every day.

Focus may be my problem: It's a POLL, and Zilchster the Incorrigible wants to DISCUSS it!

[Forgive me, Miss Orchid....]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Well, I've really thought about it twice now, and I still can't decide, largely because it can easily spill over into Technical.
    Not really. The header is Technical Help. The problem might be in the description - "Discussions on repairing, restoring or upgrading Lansing products".

I guess it would have been more tidy if the Technical Help subforum had been left as a place to answer Technical Help questions pertaining to repairing, restoring, or upgrading Lansing products. It now has a considerable number of threads devoted to modifications and projects in it that have nothing to do with providing technical help on repairing, restoring, or upgrading Lansing products.

dancing-dave
    I think that threads in this sub-section should be based on step-by-step guides approved by the administrators. Then each guide can have it's own thread limited only to technical comments/questions (e.g. no congradulatory messages). There has been some wonderful work already completed that qualifies for this section. Thus the only real task is consolodating this info into a guide format that the novice can use.

Well

My thoughts are the Technical section is restricted to JBL and Altec tech talk!

So a sub category for mods, DIY, and other tricks, not neccesarily for JBL products alone can be good!
    scottyj

Wink Let's test the faithful.

Perhaps we could simply rename the Technical Help to Orthodox JBL and call the new one Heterodox JBL?

My orthodoxy is your heterodoxy.
    Out.

Forgive me, Mz. Orchid....
    Miss Orchid. Thank you.

Perhaps we could simply rename the Technical Help to Orthodox JBL and call the new one Heterodox JBL?

I don't understand.

I have lots of dilema's which one are you talking about??

Ian

How do you know where to put a post about T/S for the 2235 if you intend to build boxes from scratch??

Technical Help or DIY

Are you going to have a Technical Help subforum in the DIY section??? Do we limit DIY to Non Heritage designs using JBL drivers?? Keep the 4344 4340 clones in the regular forum sections?? What do you see as guidelines we could post to keep things in the right home?? If you do I would split it up into enclosures and driver alignments, crossovers, drivers/compression drivers/horns, completed systems. The completed systems could be a catalog of the DIY systems that have been done by the members. Set it up in a way so someone could search for a driver and get all the systems that the driver was used in. Would be nice to have examples of what worked and what didn't. I would also come up with a syntax on the Threads that works well with the search engine we have and also will help down the road. Just some ideas.

Rob

Just about everything on this forum is a modification if not done exactly to factory specs. (per Jim Lansing design)

Perhaps Edgewound can elaborate!

Some of the best efforts here are the clones. They come with drawings and specs, right down to the paint color mix, not to mention construction techniques.

BUT, many of the departures have equal standing in my recollection: Pangea's MTM's and the interactive design process getting there, sebackman's HT ensemble, the super cool Sub 1500 packages. Everybody's got their favorites, no doubt.

L200's deserve their own forum, probably. 4430's and 434x's certainly do. Or, more generally, maybe, it's two-way, three-way, four-way? DIY crossovers need their own place, as well.

Then there's the "How To's," some of the most useful information here: Refoaming, grille replacement, diaphragms, refinishing, room treatment, testing....

I, too, am thinking about approaches to structure. Too hard to find this good stuff among 6000 threads and 50,000+ posts, and there's more coming all the time. Lotsa talent here....

Smile With respect...

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Orchid
    Forgive me, Mz. Orchid....
    Miss Orchid. Thank you.

I don't understand.
    Miss Orchid, beautiful flower of the East:

Othodox JBL would be all factory-spec'd JBL designs, factory-referenced modifications and substitutions, factory recommended procedures, and in-the-field, real-world experiences, tips, and tricks for keeping our JBLs orthodox (i.e., factory original and/or faithful to the factory designs).

Heterodox JBL would be all non-factory spec'd designs, non-factory-referenced modifications and substitutions, non-factory procedures, and in-the-field, real-world experiences, tips, and tricks for modifying our original factory designs or building our own original JBL component sourced designs (i.e., individual modifications or personal, original designs).

May the dripping dew of these humble thoughts bejewel the petals of your consciousness and refract the light of wisdom to your mind's embrace.
    Out.

Just for the record, I have no objections to modifing the current structure of the forum to address DIY issues. I just have one requirement that must be met. The new forum must have a definition that is unequivocal with minimal overlap on any other forum. I'm guessing that the Technical forum will have to be redefined as part of the process to acheive this, but so be it. The suggestions to date will need more work in my opinion to meet this objective.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Just about everything on this forum is a modification if not done exactly to factory specs. (per Jim Lansing design)

Perhaps Edgewound can elaborate!
    I believe that restorations/factory recommended substitutions should be just that. I've noticed that what used to be privy information to Authorized Sevice Centers can now be found at JBL Pro's website. Many studio monitor crossover schematics are online. All the values of the components are right there for the taking. Granted, the factory manual doesn't give tolerances, but if a guy wants to use a better cap or coil but it's the same value, I think that qualifies as a restore. On the other hand, when you change a crossover point to eg. 1200hz from 800hz, etc., that should go in DIY modifications, because obviously it's not restoring to factory original specs.

So I guess I agree that a new category would be good for DIY/Modifications.

Edgewound

well, it is certanly obvious now...

Miss Orchid is Giskard re-incarnated!
    ``````````````````````````````````````
    setting computers encoding to,

'chinese simplified'

Thread Information