Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL-NOT!! - DIY 4351 Studio Monitor

Tom Loizeaux

Rick

Those look great!
    I had the same thoughts on the 4350...why didn't JBL ever make a tall version...and, if I were to get 4350s, I would want to make new vertical cabinets for them. You did it!
    (I assume the other vertical is a mirror image of the one shown)

One reason I went for the 4343s was that they were able to be set up in the vertical position. I love them to death, but I suspect a second 15", and changing to a 2" throat driver, and a 12" mid (to match the larger driver), could only improve on the 4343.
    Since you're bi-amping these, you could use an upgraded crossover for the 4345 (from Ian) and make these "state of the art"!
    Congratulations!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Since you're bi-amping these, you could use an upgraded crossover for the 4345 (from Ian) and make these "state of the art"!
    Use the 4355 network.

I recall there is a new equivalent of the 4355 crossover somewhere.

Ian

Tom Loizeaux
    Hey, you guys are right!
    With the 12" and 2" throat compression driver, you'll need, not a crossover for the 4344, but a crossover that is optimized for the 4350/4355 componants.

Sorry, my mistake.

Tom

Well those are nice!!
    Curious to see what you think compared to the stock 4350. You did a great job!

Rob

Regis
    Very nice work Rick! Amazing what you pulled off with the simple tools you had. The results look like you had a whole woodshop at your disposal. Looking forward to the A/B comparison. I'd almost be willing to bet that you'll like the vertical format better, as the midrange and the horn is higher up vs. the lower position of the horizontal position. Congrats on a job well done!

Alex Lancaster
    They look really good; How do they sound?, just Your opinion, no fancy testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    Very nice work Rick! Amazing what you pulled off with the simple tools you had.
    I cheated a bit as I did use my table saw and joiner at my shop to cut the face trim and internal braces. But - to all interested in taking on a project like this - don't let the lack of fancy tools scare you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    I'd almost be willing to bet that you'll like the vertical format better, as the midrange and the horn is higher up vs. the lower position of the horizontal position. Congrats on a job well done!
    I'm betting they will sound better. My first JBL's (1974) were my Sovereigns and I always thought they were great sounding. One day a few years ago I got the bug to put the S8R system into a vertical configuration. I built two tall towers with the same internal volume as the sovs and populated them with varying components (S7R, S8R, etc.). Getting the 075 and 375 up off the floor created a totally different sound stage. JBL was certainly aware of the problem as the Sovereign and Olympus baffles are slanted back. Just not enough to make the difference. Getting the mid/high components up to ear level made a big difference. Thanx for your comments. Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lancaster
    They look really good; How do they sound?, just Your opinion, no fancy testing.
    The second cabinet is still in pieces but I'll soon start working on it and will let you know when I have a finished pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Those look great!
    I had the same thoughts on the 4350...why didn't JBL ever make a tall version...and, if I were to get 4350s, I would want to make new vertical cabinets for them. You did it!
    (I assume the other vertical is a mirror image of the one shown)

One reason I went for the 4343s was that they were able to be set up in the vertical position. I love them to death, but I suspect a second 15", and changing to a 2" throat driver, and a 12" mid (to match the larger driver), could only improve on the 4343.
    Congratulations!

Tom
    Hi Tom and thanx for your comments. I hope to make some improvements in these monitors as time goes on. I spoke to Giskard some time back about building custom 4355 x-overs with these speakers in mind. Now that they're coming to life I will start to rethink that goal. I hope to end up with 2235H's in them along with 2441's and tailor the x-overs accordingly. I'm with you on the 4343's. I loved mine too but had an opportunity some time back to pick up a mint pair of 4350's. I unfortunately had to let my 4343's go to fund the new ones; Tough choice. If we were to keep all the toys we ever owned, we'de have no place to sleep and if we did, we'de be sleeping alone.
    Rick P.S. How about 6 channel 4350 Surround ?? How's that for a sick thought ?? My wife would no doubt say I've gone too far.

Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    Tough choice. If we were to keep all the toys we ever owned, we'd have no place to sleep and if we did, we'd be sleeping alone.

So true!

Are these using original 4350 dimensions so they are approximately 48" tall?
    How far from the floor is the center of the 2202?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Nice work!

You've obviously come to a point where you know the sound you like...
    Wig: Thanx for your "very correct" statement. I am in my own groove for sure with my JBL's, big horn loaded enclosures. I got into this groove over 30 years ago and have just stayed there. What scares me about my association with this forum is all of the other systems and options that are being discussed regularly. I'd be in real big trouble if I deviated off into some of these big $$$ exotic systems. My JBL's have kept me happy and so far I've not gone over to "The Dark Side". I did once own a big pair of Polk reference series towers. All they did was suck the life out of my 250 wpc mac power amp.

Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    I'd be in real big trouble if I deviated off into some of these big $$$ exotic systems.
    Bigger??? More exotic???

You are already deep in the trouble zone! Keep it up!

Widget

4351 Monitors

Found some pics of the cabinet under construction. Although the end result looks good, one of my primary goals with these monitors was to have a finished baffle, kinda like the Westies. Something that looked real nice when the grilles were off. I decided to have an oak baffle finished in blue stain and satin polyeurethane. That way all of the grain would be highlighted, instead of the traditional JBL blue paint.

I intended to veneer either baltic birch or particle board in oak veneer. Was about to do that when I found some 1" oak plywood. Plywood would not be my first choice but since it was 1" thick and I braced it to the hilt I suspect there will be no problem. Anyway, I went to all this effort and then had no end of problems getting an even stain coverage on the baffle. Spots and irregularities everywhere. I finally gave up and painted it blue. BIG dissappointment since the stained blue baffle was a major goal. Will try again when I build the second cabinet. If I pull it off I'll take on the nasty job of stripping the blue paint on the first baffle.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

4351 Monitors

A couple more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information