Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL-NOT!! - DIY 4351 Studio Monitor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL-NOT 4351 Studio Monitor

For some of you guys that have been following my current project, here's an update on my new 4351 Studio Monitor. Had to call it something. The project grew out of lack of acceptable space for my 4350's. They're currently sitting next to my big screen with a mere 1/2" gap between wall/speaker/TV/speaker/wall. Am affraid at full tilt that they might degause my TV???

Since JBL never found their way clear to make a verticle version of the 4350 I decided to give it a try. They take up less floor space than my Sovereigns and when the second cabinet is done, they'll sit on either side of the big screen with noticeable space left over. They kinda look like 4345's on steroids but the cabinet dimensions are identical to the horizontal sitting 4350. Since the baffle arrangement of the 4350 does not lend itself to placing them upright I had to come up with another idea. The jury is out right now as to how they will sound. Will keep you all posted.

The high freq drivers are up higher in these cabinets and should help solve a common complaint of the 4350 in home environments. Although my wife has never complained about my 4350's she will surely notice the difference when they're both in place. These are as close to livingroom friendly 4350's as you can get. For you guys that are thinking of building 4350's, you might give some thought of going higher instead of wider. More later when I get them both done and grilles made - any news on the blue cloth??? Regards - Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    Any news on the blue cloth???
    Hi, Rick.

No word yet. Time for me to call and "expedite," probably....

[Gonna take plenty to cover the fronts of THOSE beauties!]

Hi Zilch: Thanx for the update. I figured there was some delay but I didn't want to bug you. I will still commit to buying one BFC (big freakin chunk), 30 yards, when it comes along. Regards - Rick

RIP 2009
    Wow!

John

Holy shit! A 4345 Wanna Be...

But we've had the debate before - my memory is VERY clear on one 2245H toasting two measly 2235's....

Just kidding - that is a really cool idea. Incredible design, actually. Wonderful attention to a mere re-orientation of orginal. I think this might be one of the coolest DIY'ers, ever. No kidding.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

pelly3s
    those look beautiful. I wish I had a pair

Thanx Bo: You're surely right on the 2245H, it's a serious driver and I don't currently own anything using them. I did have some surplus 4350 components though and that's what got this project going. That and the fact that I love making big wood into little wood and then making it back into big wood. After finishing my rosewood 4350B's I needed a project. Made a mess out of the garage for a few weeks putting this one together. I came up with the idea and couldn't leave it alone.

I've got some pics of the internals but can't find them right now. Will post them when they surface. Baffles are left/right mirror immaged like the 4344/4345. Baffle and all sides are 1" stock, more like the 4355 than the 4350. Empty cabinets weigh about 180 lbs. My son and I nearly killed out selves bringing the empty cab down the stairs. Put the components in afterwards.

Currently populated with 2231A'a, 2202H, 2440, 2405. 3107. I'd like to end up with 2235H's and 2441's with modified x-overs but need to correct my neg cash flow. Am spent out on all of my big monitor projects. Will give them a real good A/B comparison to my 4350's and decide which ones to keep. Sitting next to the 4350's they seem huge. Will have to get used to them and keep remembering that they take up 15" less floor space.

Since JBL never found their way clear to make a verticle version of the 4350 I decided to give it a try. They take up less floor space than my Sovereigns and when the second cabinet is done, they'll sit on either side of the big screen with noticeable space left over. They kinda look like 4345's on steroids but the cabinet dimensions are identical to the horizontal sitting 4350. Since the baffle arrangement of the 4350 does not lend itself to placing them upright I had to come up with another idea.
    Nice work!

You've obviously come to a point where you know the sound you like...

If I were going the 43XX+ route I think I'd go with a 4345 but swap out the 2421 with a 2441 and a Westlake horn... just my take on it. As for tower configurations, this is what Westlake did. It is a real monster with dual 18" woofers!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Nice work!

If I were going the 43XX+ route I think I'd go with a 4345 but swap out the 2421 with a 2441 and a Westlake horn... just my take on it. As for tower configurations, this is what Westlake did. It is a real monster with dual 18" woofers!

Widget
    The one thing you forgot about the Tower SM1's was the 110K+ price tag. By the way the MRX-2 and HR-X active crossovers are about 25K extra. Hmm now what 5 amps should we use to drive them?

One can dream though

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    One can dream though
    I would call it more of a nightmare! The damn thing is 6' tall and weighs 950lbs!

I just pointed it out as a different vertical option... I certainly wasn't advocating that direction. I do like the significantly more tame 4345s however.

Widget

Good job!

Looks terrific. Well done.

On the mirror-imaged twin did you simply take an identical baffle and turn it 180 degrees when you installed it?
    Out.

Gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Nice work!

Wig: Thanx for your "very correct" statement. I am in my own groove for sure with my JBL's, big horn loaded enclosures. I got into this groove over 30 years ago and have just stayed there. What scares me about my association with this forum is all of the other systems and options that are being discussed regularly. I'd be in real big trouble if I deviated off into some of these big $$$ exotic systems. My JBL's have kept me happy and so far I've not gone over to "The Dark Side". I did once own a big pair of Polk reference series towers. All they did was suck the life out of my 250 wpc mac power amp.

I'd be in real big trouble if I deviated off into some of these big $$$ exotic systems.
    Bigger??? More exotic???

You are already deep in the trouble zone! Keep it up!

Widget

4351 Monitors

Found some pics of the cabinet under construction. Although the end result looks good, one of my primary goals with these monitors was to have a finished baffle, kinda like the Westies. Something that looked real nice when the grilles were off. I decided to have an oak baffle finished in blue stain and satin polyeurethane. That way all of the grain would be highlighted, instead of the traditional JBL blue paint.

I intended to veneer either baltic birch or particle board in oak veneer. Was about to do that when I found some 1" oak plywood. Plywood would not be my first choice but since it was 1" thick and I braced it to the hilt I suspect there will be no problem. Anyway, I went to all this effort and then had no end of problems getting an even stain coverage on the baffle. Spots and irregularities everywhere. I finally gave up and painted it blue. BIG dissappointment since the stained blue baffle was a major goal. Will try again when I build the second cabinet. If I pull it off I'll take on the nasty job of stripping the blue paint on the first baffle.

Thread Information