Thread: Inductor values for Crossovers

Regis

Inductor values for Crossovers

I couldn't help but notice the similarity between the L-150A crossover and the L-112. They are totally identical in all values. But JBL equipped many of the L-150A's and the L-112 crossovers with the wimpy iron core inductor for L1, which has a value of 2.5 Mh, the same as the beefier air coil supplied on my L-112 X-over. Giskard mentioned that the air coil is less likely to saturate (I'll assume this to mean it's better, and it makes sense to me).

I've got a pair of the L-150A X-overs that I want to convert to the 3113b configuration, but they've got the iron core L1. If I order a 2.5 mh air-core coil from a secondary source, would this to the job?
    http://www.meniscusaudio.com/Inductors/inductors.cfm

Secondly, the wiring on the L-150A X-over has to go too! It's the wimpiest thing I've ever seen. Single strand of #7 pencil lead stuff.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regis

Obsolete
    The DCR range in stock JBL networks is generally 0.4 to 0.6 ohms. So looking at your link, use a 16 AWG or 14 AWG air core.

Regis

Da' man comes through again!

Thanks again for verifying this. I kind of had the feeling that's what it was, but knowing the gauge sure helps too! My buddy and I passed on a pair of L-112 X-overs on Ebay last night with the well-used cabs for free (this was a local sale here in SoCal). We passed because we couldn't see the LF coil in the picture and then I dug out the L-150A x-overs that I pulled from my brothers speakers and started thinking. By the way, the x-overs got sold to a non-local, so the L-112 cabs are free and we're driving down to rescue them. I hate to see a pair of even scratched, dirty JBL cabs going to the curbside for the trash pickup.

Regis

Thread Information