Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion Thread JBL 4343 to 4344 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Ian, I hope you keep the 2121 in place. Ripping out nice cones and replace with 2122 kits is not everyones thing.
    Good point.

While out upgrade steps will be clear, concise and distinct.

he individul can of course decide on the degree of enhancement to his/her 4343 system

Be aware however that it will not be a 4344 (spec) and some juggling of the crossover will be necessary if you mix some of the drivers and not others.

Part 9 of the upgrade will also discuss use of modern drivers!

Ian

Here is the Project Framework.

We spent a while listing all the possible combinations and then rationalised it into these steps.

While not set in stone, the scope of any project has to be clearing defined from the outset, but in any case I think we have most of the bases covered here.

By the way porschedpm wrote the script, no doubt he will come in soon.

Feel free to comment.

Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    With respect to the photo above - What a mess!

Common guys, I know you all can come up with a better baffle layout than that!

Apply everything we've gone over on this forum the past five years and build something killer.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
    Hey that's what was intended on a previous attempt to out do JBL, lets please not have an open ended situation...we all know where that can end up..

Lancer you've just been promoted to Head of Special Projects

- Part 9 Discussion on upgrading to modern drivers

I really look forward to the development here.

Maybe get some ideas to improving my DIY's.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

A couple of photo's to compare the baffle layouts. It looks like the 4343 top baffle and bottom baffle could be redone to change the layout. Just set them up off center so the spacing is not the same edge to edge. Take a look at this pirated photo from another thread. Not to sure about the recess for the 2420?? If there is a plate it could be repositioned. Looks to me like the hardest part would be finding someone to mix the JBL Blue. At least with this method you would not have to rebuild the cabinets for a layout change. Just food for thought.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Ah ,

Bo's in charge on The JBL Blue Paint Mixing and Jean is The Sand Man.

Ian

Seriously i don't think it would be that difficult to make a new upper baffle, with accurate dimensions and a router jig it could be done.

The entire baffle would need to be re painted.

Heck, why don't we mass produce new baffles....The Widget...where are you!

Ian

IMHO it should be relatively straightforward constructing a new top baffle and deserves to be added as one of the modifications. Blue paint should not be a problem thanks to Bo's successful quest for the correct mix and his community outreach program for teenage paint store employees. I think one of the bigger challenges, though, would be getting a 4344 vertical foilcal produced. Unless your willing to go nude in this respect.

I'd be inclined to leave the bottom baffle as-is since it's permanently affixed to the cabinet and the risk of damaging the cabinet outweighs the benefit that might be gained. IMHO anyway. One of the parameters Ian and I set forth in our framework for this project was that any modifications could be easily un-done or reversed to bring a modded 4343's back to original spec or at least original appearance, due to the relative rarity and rising values of original condition 43xx monitors. Not that any of us are willing to part with our babies, but being these large format monitors are an integral part of the JBL heritage, I feel it is somewhat our responsibility to promote keeping these close to original. I think we're all looking for that next tweak that will bring us closer to musical nirvana but I also think when you're hot rodding a pair of 30+ yr old speakers you can reach a point of diminishing returns where it may be better to start with clean sheet of paper.

Hi Ian: If you need someone to make a pair of modified upper 4343 baffles, let me know. I have some left over 1" P.B. from my recent 4351 project. Send me a layout with desired dimensions. Would also need the dimensions of the mid-base box. Regards - Rick

4344's

Hello Ian: Thanx for getting this thread started - I'll be following it closely and will contribute what I can to your effort however I have no experience with the 4344. I do have a few questions.

Does anyone have the factory dimensions for the 4344 cabinet??? The 4343 cabinet is 41 3/8" H x 25" W x 15 1/8" D w/o grille. The 4344 MKII is the same. Can I assume that the 4344 is the same too? Is the mid base box for the 2122 the same volume as that for the 2121? What is the diameter of the two ports and the duct tube length? Those are easy questions, right !!

I started to cut wood for a pair of 4344's some time back but then put the project on hold. I was planning on starting up again and got a bad report on the factory baffle layout from Giskard. I have since layed out a new baffle resembling the one posted by Ian in an earlier thread, with 2235H non-equadistant to the cabinet sides. I'll hopefully build the cabinets this fall.

I'll be able to follow this discussion thread during my cabinet construction and throughout my hunt for components. I will no doubt end up with a better pair of 4344's as a result.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    Hi Ian: If you need someone to make a pair of modified upper 4343 baffles, let me know. I have some left over 1" P.B. from my recent 4351 project. Send me a layout with desired dimensions. Would also need the dimensions of the mid-base box. Regards - Rick
    Thanks,

That will be great!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by riessen
    Hello Ian: Thanx for getting this thread started - I'll be following it closely and will contribute what I can to your effort however I have no experience with the 4344. I do have a few questions.

Does anyone have the factory dimensions for the 4344 cabinet??? The 4343 cabinet is 41 3/8" H x 25" W x 15 1/8" D w/o grille. The 4344 MKII is the same. Can I assume that the 4344 is the same too? Is the mid base box for the 2122 the same volume as that for the 2121? What is the diameter of the two ports and the duct tube length? Those are easy questions, right !!

Hi ,

We will need to check that out, let me come back to you, I think the mid enclosure is identical VB

I started to cut wood for a pair of 4344's some time back but then put the project on hold. I was planning on starting up again and got a bad report on the factory baffle layout from Giskard. I have since layed out a new baffle resembling the one posted by Ian in an earlier thread, with 2235H non-equadistant to the cabinet sides. I'll hopefully build the cabinets this fall.

Yes, good idea

I'll be able to follow this discussion thread during my cabinet construction and throughout my hunt for components. I will no doubt end up with a better pair of 4344's as a result.

Absolutely

Rick
    Lets just look into this fine detail,

Thanks for your input and enthusiasm

regards

Ian

We also plan to look at the whole biamping scene.

There are pros and cons for both conventional passive and bi amping.

In fact I intend to subjectively compare the JBL 5235 very shortly to a hi quality discrete class A crossover and conventional passive mode.

Ed will also describe no doubt his intitial impressions of a full passive crossover after using an Ashly active crossover in his system.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    In fact I intend to subjectively compare the JBL 5235 very shortly to a hi quality discrete class A crossover and conventional passive mode.
    Ouch!
    We've discussed the 5234A and 5235 before along with how to improve them. One can easily hear why JBL used passive high pass filters in the BX63 and DX-1 once they hear a 5234A or 5235.

this is a good thread because, having no experience with this monitor, (except lusting after a pair) i have imagined how i would line up various combinations of drivers and positioning. i would go totally in line, perfectly symetrical if space allows. i always imagined a 2441 in place of the 1". the great thing about JBL, that i'm sure you can all relate to, is that each series of driver has an identifiable aural signature with a common heritage...they share similar acoustic properties that can be molded into a musical instrument...a work of art really. the wife is having a hard time with the 'art' part. i look forward to following this thread.

p.s. for the sake of new members who are starting to discover this site, it would help if those of you who have been around for a while not spoil it for us with comments like, "we've discussed this so many times before." it's dissappointing when a thread is prematurely ended...it's all new to me.

Thread Information