Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Discussion Thread JBL 4343 to 4344 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Have you tried switching back and forth between the 2420s and the 2425s?
    If your 2420s were up to spec, I'd expect you'd find them a bit less aggressive sounding yet retaining all of the detail.

Widget
    All JBL's are aggressive one way or another.

I've never been one for Black Art but I think that aspect was exploited with the 4430/35 and the whole diamond surround thing. JBL wanted something exciting and different with more zing . I am told the Alnico 2405 is also different to the 2405H. I dont know the details but the alnico's would appear to have more 2nd harmonic distortion but low 3rd.

I use 2420's myself and I quite liked the titaniums brilliance, I also use the alnico 2405. The coated acquaplas titanium is more mellow and refined. Great for classical and acoustic but if you are rock freak you might prefer plain titanium. With the more linear systems like the 4344 it tends to be a mute point because you can massage the overall balance..unlike a 2 or 3 way.

The 2307/308 assembly tends concentrate the luminous nature of the titanium. Because of this any noise or distortion artifacts can get muddled with the diaphragms natural resonances above 3000 hz and this is why crossover component and amplifier selection is more critical. The symptom is the sea shell effect. Aquaplas coating effectively damps and controls the diaphragm so this becomes much less of an issue.

I might buy some 2425 and try my plain titanium just for grins.

Ian

Active crossover pics

As promised here's a pictures of the active crossover, built by Ian. The second picture shows the rest of the components which make up my main system, from bottom: Pass Labs x250 amp; Pass Labs x150.5 amp; McIntosh C42 preamp; Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD player; Sony RDR-GX7 DVD recorder; Ian's Pass DIY v2005 Active Crossover; Sony SAT-T60 satellite receiver/Tivo.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Here's pictures of the entire system including the outboard passive crossovers Ian built specifically for the 4344 driver set, which I've converted my 4343's to. These crossovers usually are tucked out of sight behind the speakers. Also seen is a Velodyne ULD-15 subwoofer and its servocontroller.

Ed,

Thanks for the pics. Awesome. Talk about the house of JBL & Pass!

I really like the cabinet too, nice.

As I understand it this is your main system.

Can you comment on how it compares with your other JBLs now that you have had the system back running for a little while given your impressions posted earlier.

Is that Nature channel?...tell me they aren't kangaroos!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    ......As I understand it this is your main system.

Can you comment on how it compares with your other JBLs please?

Is that Nature channel?...tell me they aren't kangaroos!

Ian
    No, those aren't kangaroos, they're Meerkats. From the series on Animal Planet called "Meerkat Manor".

It's really not fair to compare this system to any of my others because this is the system I've strived to make my reference system. This system is much better than my others at filling the entire room with rich, detailed and full-bodied music. And it does it with authority. But at the same time these are probably the warmest sounding solid state amps I've heard, especially with acoustic instruments and female voices.

The closest comparison I have is a Home Theater system set up in the living room using a Tag pre-pro, a Bryston 150w x 5ch amp, a McIntosh MC-300 amp, Performance Series PT-800/PS1400 combos for the fronts, two XPL200's for the sides, two XPL90's for the rears, a S3HC for the center and a PS1400 for the sub. The power to fill the room with sound is there, without a doubt. And it all sounds very good but it's just a bit dryer and more analytical. Don't get me wrong though, if I didn't have my 4344 system, I would be very content with this system.

In my Apt/Home Office in the Bay Area, I have a pair of 240Ti's hooked up to a Cary 15w/ch tube integrated amp. This system is set up more as a lower volume, near field system with the 240Ti's about 15 ft apart, elevated and both pointing towards my desk and office chair in the middle. In this configuration they sound phenomenal. But they wouldn't be able to keep up with the 4344's in terms of filling the room with music. If I hooked up the 240Ti's to the Pass Labs X250 though, they'd probably put up a good fight. But in the end their lack of a horn and a mid-bass speaker would put them at a disadvantage.

My other systems are comprised of various combinations of 4412's, 120Ti's, and 18Ti's, all of which sound great for their intended purposes (bedroom, garage, RV, etc.) but none of which even come close in comparison to the 4344's.

Quote Originally Posted by porschedpm
    The closest comparison I have is a Home Theater system set up in the living room using a Tag pre-pro, a Bryston 150w x 5ch amp, a McIntosh MC-300 amp, Performance Series PT-800/PS1400 combos for the fronts, two XPL200's for the sides, two XPL90's for the rears, a S3HC for the center and a PS1400 for the sub. The power to fill the room with sound is there, without a doubt. And it all sounds very good but it's just a bit dryer and more analytical. Don't get me wrong though, if I didn't have my 4344 system, I would be very content with this system.

In my Apt/Home Office in the Bay Area, I have a pair of 240Ti's hooked up to a Cary 15w/ch tube integrated amp. This system is set up more as a lower volume, near field system with the 240Ti's about 15 ft apart, elevated and both pointing towards my desk and office chair in the middle. In this configuration they sound phenomenal. But they wouldn't be able to keep up with the 4344's in terms of filling the room with music. If I hooked up the 240Ti's to the Pass Labs X250 though, they'd probably put up a good fight. But in the end their lack of a horn and a mid-bass speaker would put them at a disadvantage.

My other systems are comprised of various combinations of 4412's, 120Ti's, and 18Ti's, all of which sound great for their intended purposes (bedroom, garage, RV, etc.) but none of which even come close in comparison to the 4344's.
    Ed,

Thanks for the elaboration on the finer points your system(s) but your making the rest of us feel poor! That's probably because we are!

I am intrigued with your comments about the rich, detailed and full bodied presentation of the main system.

I think that is certainly a desirable quality on a powerful system as you can turn it up and enjoy it!

In my experience I have found Passlabs Aleph series certainly quite engaging and warm while my X250.5 is quite neutral and tonally revealing of the source and more dynamic in my own system. I imagine the voicing of your X150.5 is very similar being a somewhat scaled down version of the X250.5

The way the X250.5 renders the natural timbre of instruments is the most spectacular aspect of the improved X0.5 Series to my ears.

Getting back to your impressions when I was tuning the system down here it became apparent that there was a certain detailed, yet rich palpable quality and the harder you drive it the better it gets.

Every system has a sweet spot and these loudspeakers and amps like to be driven to realistic levels. That is when they really sing and sound their best.

I would suggest the JFets in the active crossover have if anything a certain natural detail but sweet quality and the Auricaps in the crossovers are anything but cold and tend to be regarded as a paper and oil capacitor in smoothness and naturalness but without the colourations of paper and oil capacitors. This is why they are an industry reference.

But as we have said before its the blend and melting together of the whole system that makes it work but I am pleased it has worked out the way it has.

Ed, it would seem you have chosen your systems well and each has its own special quality. We appreciate the time you have taken in your busy schedule to post the above paragraphs.

Enjoy.

Ian

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...73&postcount=8

An interesting upgrade of a stock JBL crossover.

In another thread someone posted why are there so any discussions about upgrading the 4343 and so few about the 4344.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...46&postcount=1
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...48&postcount=2

It woud be nice to hear from more 4344 original owners but I think most of those systems reside in Japan.

I still think they are one of the most fun and satisfying JBL Classics. If you don't have the space for the larger JBL 4345 the 4343-4344 is right there.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...550#post178550

There has also been a lot of discussion recently about upgrading diaphragms and alternative compression drivers. That suggests to me there is a lot of untapped mileage left in these vintage systems.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 07-29-2007 at 05:41 AM. Reason: updated threads reference

Auricaps

I have to agree with Ian. The Auricaps are by far the most natural sounding capacitors I have run into. I have been working on my 4344/4345 passive crossover off and on for 2 years. Originally used Solens but in the passive they were too analytical with a loss of timbre and natural tone. The Auricaps for me have a great natural sound to them. I have just about got all the prototyping finished and will start constructing the final version of my hybrid 4344s soon.

Hi Al,

Thank for the report. Please post some pictures when you are ready. Juicy crossovers always make great pictures

Ian

Hi 43xx members! Could I join to the CLUB?

I have bought 6 hours before, I have loaded my drivers ( the originals must repair first)

Quote Originally Posted by OLDGEN View Post
    I have bought 6 hours before, I have loaded my drivers ( the originals must repair first)
    Looks like you're in, baby!

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by OLDGEN View Post
    Anyone that uses a pair of Tannoy's as JBL 4435 speaker stands has earned their place..

Name:  P1020929.jpg
Views: 3321
Size:  24.5 KB

4343 Club Membership

Welcome aboard. Since you've got these speakers on rolling carts (it'll be easy to move them) and having them in such close proximity to each other you definitely want to exchange the positions so that the 2405 "slot" super-tweeter is on the "outside" of the speaker configuration.

Texas... it's just not a state... it's a state of mind.

4344/45 Crossovers

Per Ian's request, attached are pics of the 4344/45 crossovers. The LF and MF are based on the original 4345 schematic using Air Coils with Solen caps with .01 audiocaps in tow. The HF and UHF are based on one of the equivalent designs that Giskard came up with. The Auricaps on the upper end make a world of diffirence to me in tonality, and timbre. The Solens I originally used in the HF and UHF sounded way too sterile for my tastes.

Regards
    AL

Thread Information