Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion Thread JBL 4343 to 4344 upgrade

I think you mis interpreted my meaning.

I many posts for example 4343 owners have concerns about making change. Some prefer to hang on to a bit of the past also.

We are feeling our way with 4345 owners..I see the bulk of these updated being applicable to 4343 owners wishing to go to the 4344 because of the size of the 4345.

Bo and I have also discussed about updating the current original 3145 original network in his 4345, parts sizes ect and skill of doing it. Do I put in a network ect, bypassing the switch etc.

That can be seen as a potential barrier to change.

And then putting it all down in a post for someone to follow ain't that easy.

Hello Ian

Why don't you do a How To like Menu??? The basic crossover mods should not be done to the originals anyway. Those get removed or left in the box as is. The new networks can be done inside or out. The basic charge coupled topology is really quite simple with an explanation and example. The only open issue is the skill of the person doing the mods. Asside from soldering, and understanding a basic crossover schematic these skills should not be beyond most members. It may not be a bad idea to list the skill sets required for the modifications and recomendations to threads or other sites to build on these skills.

Rob

Hmm.

I took me a long time to understand let along build my 1st network.

But then again I am a slow learner......

I can see a benefit in people getting there feet wet though

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Perhap you can arrange for some of these updates to be copied as a pdr in a reference update area or a sticky?
    Absolutely. However you want to put it all together. I had asked Greg to do the 4345 and 250Ti thing with the intent of putting it in the same format as David's article. While it's easier on the both of us that he simply posted it in the forum it will get buried if left alone so I will have to rectify that. I wasn't terribly specific in my intent. Besides, the personal post has considerably more impact.

Tom Loizeaux
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    ... I had asked Greg to do the 4345 and 250Ti thing with the intent of putting it in the same format as David's article... Besides, the personal post has considerably more impact.
    Yes, and hearing about suggested mods from Greg makes some of us a little more comfortable with the idea of digging in to our factory crossovers.

Thanks Giskard for getting Greg to contribute that teriffic posting.

Tom

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Yes, and hearing about suggested mods from Greg makes some of us a little more comfortable with the idea.

And that's understandable. JBL has put, what I consider to be, alot of time into me over the last 30 years. Greg is one of those people who has so graciously given his time over those years. Going forward I will no longer be championing this forum so this forum will have to get their input some other way. I would imagine Don, Greg and others will need to contribute more. However I think everyone should keep this post in mind with respect to Greg - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...t.php?p=109441

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Thanks Giskard for getting Greg to contribute that teriffic posting.
    Tom
    Oh yes!!

the first hand information is all the time better, especially from the first master ingeneer JBL... thanks Mr. Timber.

Many juice in few words, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    As the forums grow in size an complexity we all need to adopt smarter ways of managing our valuable information.

Yes, I'm working on that.
    The many 4343/4344/4345 build/update/modification threads in these forums comprise a daunting challenge for anyone interested in actually doing anything, and the several attempts at organizing them to date don't seem to have helped much.

"Quick & Dirty Contents" has worked out well as a roadmap through my 4430-inspired project thread(s); it shows up in any searches for the specific subject matters covered, and, with highlights, then links to the specific positions in the threads where they are discussed.

Let me humbly suggest this as a workable approach to bringing order to chaos. Someone familiar with the material could put it together with just a few days' effort, and with continuing access, could build/update it over time....

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9901

Be my guest,

I really don't have time to be involved in any of this in the next few weeks.

Speaking of upgrades something is coming over the Big Pond to the West Coast of the U.S.A.

When it arrives it will make a bigger (massive) improvement for one member at least than everything else that has been discussed on this topic to date.

Watch this thread for more details.

Ian

jandregg

4345 crossover

This is a little spread out but it allows trying different caps without cutting the leads.

jandregg

I could be wrong ( it's hard to see exactly in your picture) but are those mundorf caps?? if so which ones and how do they sound??

can you tell us a little more about your crossover.....

jandregg

4345 crossover

Nothing new there. They are Solen metalized film. There is a big difference in the 077 sound. Very clean and clear. I do not hear a big difference in the compression driver, but I am replacing bypassed metalized daystons in a copy of the 4343 crossover that already sound very good. Before I can say for sure I think I need to build one for the other side and hear it in stereo.

John

Hi John:

Thanks for the reply...interesting....

I know what you mean about being sure of a sound. Takes time. Let us know what you come up with.

it takes me awhile to tell if a new sound is better or just "different"

By the way..what part of Ga are you in, I have family in Gainsville.

rick

On the sound thing I would like to point out that many components types do exhibit different tonality, sometimes subtle for audible variations. The differences can be expressed technically as distortions of one sort or another.

I have been conducting a lot of investigations into use of different brand parts and types of recent months and what is clear is that it may be worse, the same or different.

The key is to find parts that offer complimentry tonality that is pleasing to your ear.

Getting the right blend can be quite a chore but satisfying in the end.

Ian

Thread Information