Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
Have you tried switching back and forth between the 2420s and the 2425s?
If your 2420s were up to spec, I'd expect you'd find them a bit less aggressive sounding yet retaining all of the detail.

Widget
All JBL's are aggressive one way or another.

I've never been one for Black Art but I think that aspect was exploited with the 4430/35 and the whole diamond surround thing. JBL wanted something exciting and different with more zing . I am told the Alnico 2405 is also different to the 2405H. I dont know the details but the alnico's would appear to have more 2nd harmonic distortion but low 3rd.

I use 2420's myself and I quite liked the titaniums brilliance, I also use the alnico 2405. The coated acquaplas titanium is more mellow and refined. Great for classical and acoustic but if you are rock freak you might prefer plain titanium. With the more linear systems like the 4344 it tends to be a mute point because you can massage the overall balance..unlike a 2 or 3 way.

The 2307/308 assembly tends concentrate the luminous nature of the titanium. Because of this any noise or distortion artifacts can get muddled with the diaphragms natural resonances above 3000 hz and this is why crossover component and amplifier selection is more critical. The symptom is the sea shell effect. Aquaplas coating effectively damps and controls the diaphragm so this becomes much less of an issue.

I might buy some 2425 and try my plain titanium just for grins.

Ian