Thread: 4412 thoughts ,please.....

4412 thoughts ,please.....

i have been reading info on the forum for several months.thanks to one and all for all the wonderful info i have been trying to take in. about a month ago i bought a pair of little used 4412's. the 12's are being refoamed and then they should be ready to go. one note of intrest to me was that one of the control display facing areas still has its plastic seal from the factory on it. aside from the refoam issue about four of the plastic grill posts are broken on the pair and that is it. i am open to all thoughts on these from any and all here,thanks to one and all........

RIP 2009
    Just be sure your refoamer mounts the foam to the BACK of the cone, the same way it comes from the factory. Some people take the easy way out and incorrectly glue it to the front of the cone, thereby substantially decreasing its value...

4412's?

True Studio Monitors, it doesn't come any nicer than those in bookshelf three-ways. They're the culmination of years of development and evolution at JBL.

The broken pins are common, and new grilles are likely still available direct from JBL Pro Parts at a resonable price. Enjoy them immensely....

I concur with Zilch, and john...the 4412 are great monitors. Just make sure the refoamer does as john said and mount the new surround to the back of the cone. It takes a bit more prep work but the end result is much more satisfying.

Have fun with 'em

Edgewound

New grilles are available under prt number 66961, and retail at $37.65/ea. through JBL. Refoam kits are available from Rick Cobb (do a search on this site for his Email). From my own experience, his refoam kits work really well.
    R Beardsley (BEAR)

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    True Studio Monitors, it doesn't come any nicer than those in bookshelf three-ways. They're the culmination of years of development and evolution at JBL.

The broken pins are common, and new grilles are likely still available direct from JBL Pro Parts at a resonable price. Enjoy them immensely....
    My experience agrees with the Zilch assessment. The 4412 is astounding. It's the first "horn less" 3 way I've liked since the L100. I wonder if I'd still even like the L100 if I would have put them side by side? The guy who bought my 4412's drove from NH to NY to pick them up. He said he had a pair before and basically regretted ever parting with them. That says a lot to me...

Has anyone here ever done a direct comparison betwen the 4412 and the LSR6332 (or variants)? I'm real curious to know how they differ in sound because I'd like to pick up a pair for my den. Anyone ever hear the Century Gold speakers either? The drivers look very similar to the LSR32.

well guys,the refoamed 12"s got here today!!!!!!! first,johnace thanks for the mounting tip on the foam,zilch thanks for the good words,the info,and the good wishes toward my enjoyment.edgewound,thanks to you as well for good words. bear,i will be ordering some new grills because of your helpfulness,many thanks.norealtalent ,thanks for you input as well.steven,i am interested in the century golds as well.i have seen pictures of a pair,and read at least one review on them . the reviewer seemed to be blown away by them. but then again they are JBL at about 8pm the 4311b's came down and the 44112's went up .for my ears i noiticed a difference right away and after about 15 minutes for my ears to adjust,MAN DO THESE THINGS SOUND GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm on my fourth cd now,i need to go to bed ,but how can i??????????thanks guys,JBL forwever!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billyboyJBL

at about 8pm the 4311b's came down and the 44112's went up .for my ears i noiticed a difference right away and after about 15 minutes for my ears to adjust,MAN DO THESE THINGS SOUND GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm on my fourth cd now,i need to go to bed ,but how can i??????????thanks guys,JBL forwever!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have fun......( they are great, aren't they)

Oh, what are they hooked up to??

sorry it took me so long to get back to you JBLnsince 1959 i have been up in the northern part of the state visiting an aunt,my dad's only sister,she is 81 ,with no internet access. i have a marantz 2275 hooked to the 44121's at this time,they are on at this very moment deep bass,i must say! what are you running on yours? hey,while we are on the subject,i was looking at a macintosh 4100 the other day for purchase, have you ever given one an ear? thanks ,bill.

Quote Originally Posted by billyboyJBL
    sorry it took me so long to get back to you JBLnsince 1959 i have been up in the northern part of the state visiting an aunt,my dad's only sister,she is 81 ,with no internet access. i have a marantz 2275 hooked to the 44121's at this time,they are on at this very moment deep bass,i must say! what are you running on yours? hey,while we are on the subject,i was looking at a macintosh 4100 the other day for purchase, have you ever given one an ear? thanks ,bill.
    I sold mind about a little over 2 years ago ( big mistake).. I was planning on getting the LSR32 at a store called MARS ( they were going out of business). They had a pair that had been reconed ( I know the guy who did the work), the price was really sweet and when I got there I realized that I got the wrong checkbook, went home ...bottle-line I missed getting those puppies and after I had already sold my 4412's

as far as the 4100 well, depends.....
    1. on what you think it sounds like in your setup
    2. How you plan to use them.

I used mine mostly in a near-field (or semi-near-field) setup and had them hooked up to a MAC 4280 ( 75 watts like the 4100) for casual listening..... it was nice.... Couldn't handle really big bass stuff, but then I didn't need loud or powerful bass ( near-field)

However, if I were to listen to them as a main room speaker then I would ( IMHO) get a bigger amp somewhere around 150 ( at least to mostly a 200 ). That would give a little better bass control and transients.

Bottom-line tho is if you like it. Try first before buying...

hope this helps
    PS
    Still looking for a good pair of LSR32's

Thread Information