Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever ????? Horn question

JBLGUY

Have you ever ????? Horn question

All right all you madmen out here in JBL heaven.

Have anyone here ever attached a 2 inch exit driver to a 1 inch style horn using an adapter to make it downsize to a smaller horn ? What does this sound like ? To me it seems that it may actually be pretty sweet. but sometimes I dream weird things so I'm asking the boys who would probably know. I heard Widget refer to this the other day, but he was mysterious about his thoughts and didn't elaborate.
    I was thinking of putting my 2441 on to my 2344 cheeks to see what it would sound like. Unfortunatley I don't have those 1 inch to 2 inch adapter and I don't think scotch tape will work.
    So have you guys tried this and what did you think ?

I would not go the other way from 2" to 1". You are asking for problems. The drivers are designed to load into a suitable horn and the impedance it presents. Going through the adaptor the wrong way is going to mess that up as well as give you reflections back down the throat into the 2441. You could always give it a try but intuitively it doesn't sound like a good idea.

Rob

JBLGUY
    Where's the " Widget "

If you look in the JBL Lansing Heritage Library the earlier JBL Pro Catalogue makes reference to using the adapter in reverse.

Ian

JBLGUY
    Lets face it boys. some of this stuff is pure " Voodoo " as the Widget say's. Sometimes you need to just try it when it comes to speaker design. I'm not really the measurement type. I have found sometimes that the stuff that " measures " really good..... sounds really bad. I believe when I hear not when I read specs usually in relation to speakers anyway.

Some of the highest end I have heard has actually sounded pretty low end when actually played and compared to so called " it will never work stuff "

This can be a surprising hobby at times.

As Ian hinted at... the catalogs say that it "can be used in reverse with some high frequency loss above 8KHz."

I have a pair of 2327s ...never tried them around backwards... I hated them the correct way though. I found them very megaphone sounding. I guess they would sound different backwards.

Widget

If you look at the catalog Ian is refering to it say in reverse with some loss above 8k. If you intend to use it with the 2344 are you going to use the 4430/35 network compensation????

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page11.jpg

I hear what you are saying about trying it but there are actual limitations when certain things are done that simply will compromise performance and increase distortion. In a 3 way in may not matter as a 2 way there is only one way to find out.

Rob

JBLGUY
    Actually I didn't have a system planned for this little idea....just was wondering if anybody had thoughts on this hare brained sceme.

After hearing about the loss of highs... i would use some tweets then if it was worth putting this weird convertion to some use.

I thought maybe it might make for a very snappy midrange or something my mind seems to think may work.

Come on Widget put it together and sell it on Ebay as some Mega Super headphones to a teenager who can't get loud enough. He would need to purchase an opional neck brace to support the 60lb's of drivers.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLGUY
    .... put it together and sell it on Ebay as some Mega Super headphones to a teenager who can't get loud enough. He would need to purchase an opional neck brace to support the 60lb's of drivers.

you crazy...... the headphones would obviously need to be mounted to the neck brace.......

Quote Originally Posted by JBLGUY
    All right all you madmen out here in JBL heaven.

Have anyone here ever attached a 2 inch exit driver to a 1 inch style horn using an adapter to make it downsize to a smaller horn ? What does this sound like ? To me it seems that it may actually be pretty sweet. but sometimes I dream weird things so I'm asking the boys who would probably know. I heard Widget refer to this the other day, but he was mysterious about his thoughts and didn't elaborate.
    I was thinking of putting my 2441 on to my 2344 cheeks to see what it would sound like. Unfortunatley I don't have those 1 inch to 2 inch adapter and I don't think scotch tape will work.
    So have you guys tried this and what did you think ?
    Thinking about it some more I think its a really dumb idea.

It would make more sense I you bought some JBL one inch drivers for the 2344 and did the job properly, or alteratively looked around for a good two inch hron, we have at least two excellent threads on diy 2397's.

Hey Ian,

Remember my ugly big theater horns? I turned those into three ways and at one point had adapters with TAD 4001's mounted up on Altec 511's. At domestic volumes, it seemed to work quite well up to 10kHz.... which worked out quite well considering they were crossed over to Audax PR-120's at 8kHz. Point in fact it allowed for a rather simple filter on the TAD 4001. Sounded quite a bit better than when you heard them..... for what that's worth.

Cheers,
    Cyclotronguy

Wow...just think what those 4001s would have sounded like on a proper 2" horn that isn't a good cow bell substitute?

The Evil Widget as opposed to the sometimes benevolent one..

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Wow...just think what those 4001s would have sounded like on a proper 2" horn that isn't a good cow bell substitute?

The Evil Widget as opposed to the sometimes benevolent one..
    Widget, how do you feel about the altec cowbells after dampening....
    either with the sand/latex paint method or with something like cascade dampening spray?

I agree that there is quite the ring on those horns without treatment.....

Oh, why do you have to make it difficult.

OK, a well dampened cow bell can make a decent horn... They certainly are readily available and relatively cheap.

Widget

Yeah...from my experience the bare altec horns light up at around 1KHz...they sound alot more tolerable when dampened.

Edgewound

Thread Information