Alex Lancaster

Question

Scott:

What is mortite?

Alex.

rgrjit8
    Mortite is the reason I live in Korea.

Mortite

You see in Niklas Nord,s picture where you see the 2242 woofer face down, and hes putting that grey putty around the backside of the speaker rim, that mounts to the cabinets baffle? That is Mortite. Its a sealing putty that comes in a roll from any hardware store, and I use that stuff instead of the cork gaskets for my 2240 loaded scoops!

Not only is it an airtight seal, but when you go to take a woofer out, you need a screwdriver to pry the woofer off! We have been using this stuff since the 70,s!

Alex Lancaster

Question

Finally I´ll have some time to finish this project, some of my Audiofiend friends told me NEVER to use fiberglass, instead a 1/2" felt type material, that is used -get this- for saddles where they meet the horse, as the best; I think they ate too much of the felt, but I need Your opinions.

Alex.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Hi:

No replies, maybe the thread gotmarked "read", with the move?

Alex.

Hi Alex

Somewhere in this forums archives is a thread with a discussion about the use of different damping materials inside a cabinet. I don't think that thread ever discussed the use of felt . Some audio parts stores sell damping pads ( some soaked in a permanently viscous goop ) . These pads reportedly work well - I've never used them . The horse-blanket felt, sounds like the basis for one of these hitech pads.

If horse-blanket felt is available to you - then , try it and measure its ability to change Fb vs the more tradional 1 to 2" fiberglass AND most importantly - listen to its effects .

If I was in your place , I'd try it tightup against the cabinets walls ( maybe glue it ) with another layer of Dacron right up against the felt. Dacron ( polyester stuffing ) isn't as effective for Fb lowering as plain old fiberglass - but used in conjuction with something else ( horse-felt ), one should likely extract good performance ( with some tinkering about ).

It would be nice to find a cost effective creation, just as effective as fiberglass .

Just my best guess .

<. Earl K

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Thanks Earl:

Since the 18" boxes are 280L each, what about 1" fiberglass, glued with silicone, and then stapled with card stock; I expect to cut them off at 200Hz, and of course try higher frequencies, I want to get as close to 20Hz as possible.

For the sealed 2202H boxes, I guess the other combinations would be worth a try, I already have boards made to try other CD´s and tweeters.

Suggestions are very welcome.

Alex.

Thread Information