Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RARE ALTEC FIND ?

vinyldog

RARE ALTEC FIND ?

Hello folks,
    I'm new to this forum, but now I have something to talk about so i thought what the hey,,, Yesterday I picked up a pair of old Altec Lido Speakers,, I believe that's what they're called, anyway they have a 755 c driver and a Horn tweeter, the cabinets look mint with 4 legs on each and so do the speakers. Any ideal as to how rare these are ?

i've no idea how rare

how they sound?
    and what you got hooked up to them?

vinyldog
    they sounds great, but i'm not a big audiophile so they are just hooked up to a sony receiver. nothing special.

pelly3s
    how much did you pay for them. here is a little info on something similar to what i believe the lido is http://members.myactv.net/~je245/755sonic.htm the ones on the site are home made but they have 755s in them. That is a great driver

would be nice to see some pictures
    you might not want to turn these up too loud
    15 watt speaker you know

airflex5100...oozing...dripping... thrilling...
    http://wec5.jp/Catalog/Speaker/altec-755c.html

vinyldog
    I hope you'll can see them this way , i can't figure out how to post the pictures.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mingod.../ph//my_photos

vinyldog
    They will be going on ebay soon

pelly3s
    do yourself a favor and dont sell them... get yourself a nice little tube amp and enjoy them

actually no dont they are garbage and i will take them off your hands

hey it was worth the shot

vinyldog
    some people have told me that those are really nice, but how nice is nice ?? I 'm not into tubes yet and know that when i finally do get into them i will regret ever selling them. But i think that people like you guys would appricate them more then i can right now .

pelly3s
    ive only heard a 755 once. may i ask how you came across them. I fell in love with them that one time i heard them. I wish I had the money to buy them off you.

vinyldog
    If i tell you it will only make you sick. I got them at a goodwill auction. As you can imagine i didn't pay much for them.. the only problem with them is that on of the legs is missing, so there are only seven. I know that they are worth a good penny, i'm not trying to sell them here but i just wanted to see if you guys could give me some insights as to how nice they are. All the ones that i've seen on the internet all have those gray beat up boxes, these are really nice as a piece of furniture. I do not want to part them out because of the fine cabinets.

pelly3s
    even if you arent into tubes get yourself a nice low power solid state amp and a good turntable and enjoy those. thats a killer score, a leg isnt that tough though im sure just about anyone can make one up for you.

there are a few parts missing or at least 1 part besides the leg

why did i have the 'ebay feeling?'

too bad as these the'c's' don't really need a tube amp

you might want to listen to these for a while before you
    throw them away for just money

even with a sony receiver

vinyldog
    what part do you see that is missing ? i know that there is another cut out for anther driver but there is no screw holes showing that it was once there, an email friend told me that back then you could order them with one one driver. Now is that even the part you are talking about ?

Thread Information