Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1400 Nd

Hi Jim Henderson

Whatever happened with this project ?

Did you build up some 3.5 cu' subs, as per G.T.s directions to 10 Watt Street. ?

- just curious / also, I thought Guido might like to review this thread .

,> Earl K

jim henderson
    The project has morphed somewhat. I'm now running a pair of Sub 1500's for the low end, and my main speakers will be 2-ways with 1400ND's on the bottom and TAD 4001's on top. The horns are TBD but the Westlakes are the front runners.

I built 4.1 cf ported enclosures (a'la M9500's) for the 1400ND's and they work fine but I don't need the LF entension with the Sub 1500's in the system. So I will probably go with Greg's advice and build cabs with "around 3.5 cubic feet per woofer with a tuning in the 30 - 32 Hz area".

I wonder if sealed cabs would be a viable option. The advantage would be less distortion. The disadvantage would be no LF extension. Again, the Sub 1500's could pick up where a sealed 1400ND leaves off.
    As an aside, the reconed 1400ND's I got from Speaker City have come apart at the spiders a'la the Sub 1500's. Speaker City sent me some glue to repair them but that didn't hold. Of course we now know from the Sub 1500 thread which glues work properly.

Hi Jim

Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry to hear about the glue problem on your recones - but good to know that enough attention was previously paid to it in within the forum - so that a solution was at the ready.

If it was me, I'd build some smallish ( 2.8 cu' ?? ) test boxes ( a la the top portion of the M9500 - tuned to maybe 35hz ( or higher ) . You can always use your 4.1 cu' boxes for this - if you reduce/occupy some of the volume with sand bags ( etc. ). Sealed boxes , would also interest me - I'd try both variants to see what gives the best results.

regards <. Earl K

ohhh - I forgot to ask ; Did you ever "gap-out" those 1400nd(s) in those oversize ( 4.1 cu' ) boxes ?

Hi,
    I wonder how the parameter would change ( Fs? ) if replacing the cloth surround by foam on a 1400Pro.
    Someone did it in the past?
    Kind regards,
    Didier

Hi Didier,

The cones are very different, so who knows what kind of "bastard" you would get.

Why not recone them if you have the recones or find a nice pair of 1400Nd/LE1400H/LE14H-3 on the market and leave the PRO1400's as is. A Franken-woofer may work but it is not likely that it will exceed a fresh "original".

My 25 cents...

Kind regards
    //Rob
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

In my head I hear the incomparable Teri Garr saying "Frankenwoofer" every time someone uses that portmanteau.

Thread Information