Thread: Aquarius IV. Now what? Surrounds?

VOTT

Aquarius IV. Now what? Surrounds?

Just got a pair home. Somebody must have put one down on a road upside down due to the dings on the top side! However, I am thinking of putting these in the back to make a JBL surround setup (L110's in the front going strong).

One has four small holes (ports) on the bottom, one has one large one. I guess that is due to the wide separation of serial numbers (11448, 15585) though the drivers are the same with that coveted LE8T-2 (alum cap).

Anyone else using these with success as surrounds? Or are they better off parted and scrapped?

BTW, if I keep them, I need a new dispersion cone for one tweeter.

Thanks.

Omnidirectional JBL's

I have a pair in similar condition. I too had thought to use them for rears in an HT setup, but it may be that was just my explanation to the wife for getting them since, "I was just curious and wanted to see what they were like," never seems to be explanation enough.

The LE8t-2 is the domestic version of the 2115 and is still reconeable! though expensive, and I too will attempt to restore with a refoam, although FAR will change and may not ever get down to where it should be. It's not the chrome dome that sets it apart, but rather it's the non-aquaplassed cone. That is, much lighter.

My cabinets are OK except for corner dings. Haven't decided yet if I will attempt to make those lightly smashed corners right.

The tweeter is the LE20. The dispersion deflector is sometimes obtainable on ebay when these are parted out.

David

VOTT
    Apart from the one blemished top, the cabs are fine. I am considering putting them to use with other drivers and xovers with new tops. That JBL walnut is now priceless!

I have read a little about the LE8T-2 being collectible. I may just part these pups out (ebay) and reuse the cabs with other drivers, like, maybe, some leftover EPI drivers. For what I paid for these, I will not lose any money regardless of what I do with them.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by VOTT
    I have read a little about the LE8T-2 being collectible.
    Uh, I wouldn't do that.

The LE8T-2 is a very unique application. I cannot imagine an alternative in that cabinet that would fill the duty. That transducer and that cabinet are carefully acoustically mated. Restore them to their factory condition, if need-be, and love their unique sound (IMO...).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Can't remember what the dispersion cone looks like... can you post a pic? I'm wondering if I might have one (from a Fisher "Wide Surround" speaker) that looks very similar, if I remember right at all. If nothing else, it might be modifiable to work...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Uh, I wouldn't do that.

The LE8T-2 is a very unique application. I cannot imagine an alternative in that cabinet that would fill the duty. That transducer and that cabinet are carefully acoustically mated. Restore them to their factory condition, if need-be, and love their unique sound (IMO...).
    Bob is right on here....the LE8T-2 has dense pieces of foam glued to the back of the centerdome which adds mass and dampening, relegating it to it's specific duties as a woofer/midrange. The enclosure is tuned for this driver. Bass frequencies exit the ports on the bottom, mids through the radial refraction slots separating the both sections, and the LE20's through dispersion panels to the rear. They are quite unique in JBL's lineup.

I have one in each corner of my office and although it takes a little more gain than most JBL's, they fill the room with sound.

Parts are available on eBay from time to time and are worth the effort to restore them....besides, most women find them attractive
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    OPUS POCUS

Actually, the Fisher dispersion cone I have attaches in a completely different fashion. No go on that one, unfortunately...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information