Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec Valencia Help Needed

Sorry....

I was too busy being a resident expert before I looked again and see that you mentioned "806A", That is not a Tangerine, but a nice driver, 2db less efficient than a 802/902, but sounds good to me still.

Duh!!!

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the replies. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to Altec, but from my understanding the 806A and 802/902 are the same dimensions? Except for the phase plug and alnico or ferrite magnet correct? I do love the way these sound, detail is amazing. Not at all fatiguing bright, at least with my setup. I'm amazed how low the horn goes, I'm curious what a 500hz horn sounds like. Funny after 30 years how well these hold up to modern stuff.

Dan

The 802 driver is longer than the 806 and has a larger magnet. Otherwise they're mechanically the same.

Tom Loizeaux
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTana
    Tom,
    ...That's a great idea about the copper mesh, where would I go and what do I ask for and would you have any pics to show how it looks?...
    Dan, I don't have any photos at the moment but I used a heavy #4 "wire cloth" made from copper. My house is Arts & Crafts style and the copper mesh seemed to fit in nicely. Almost any screen will work, but remember to keep it as open (mostly spaces) as you can. If you go back in this thread and look at the link for perferated metal, you can go to "wire cloth" and find these heavy mesh screens in many materials.
    Anyway, your Valencias look nice - and I'm sure sounds good as well. Be sure to protect the woofer cones from damage with at least a fine screen, regardless of what front grille you choose.

Tom

Thread Information