Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: When JBL was JBL...Your first Encounter

Morning, All,

I thought I'd already tossed in my two cents in this thread, but I guess not. Someplace here at LH, I have mentioned this before, but I'll have another go at it, just for grins!

First contact with JBL's came with our band, "Finger Lickin' Good", went on the road in 1969. We needed a better rig for our bass player, and so got hold of three brand new JBL 15" woofers (don't even know what they were.... maybe D130's, or D140's..), and built a box the size of Manhattan in which to house them!! We didn't know squat about either speaker building, or impedance matching to amps, and so couldn't understand why we kept blowing up the Fender Bassman head that our bass man used!!

Later, I got to enjoy a custom built system that my girlfriend's Dad, who was a local surgeon, had installed in the walls of their home, and fell in love with it! I know it was either JBL, or Altec, but never found out more about it. Still later, that same fellow allowed me to enjoy his "new" JBL's when I delivered his Jag up to Palm Desert, CA. They were L300's, and Doc G. played some outstanding music for my enjoyment that day! We listened to Dave Grusin, Miles Davis, Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare For The Common Man", and many other great things, and I was hooked for life on JBL, and in particular, those wonderful L300's!!

Tried to build something like them, later, but they never sounded as good as the "real thing". Now, we finally own a fantastic pair of L300's, and are even more in love with them, than I was way back when I first heard a pair!! Yes, I know that other JBL systems have eclipsed them, in many ways, but to my ears, and also to Sweet Bride's, our L300's are still simply stunning, and we both dearly love them!! If you've already had to wade through similar BS from me on our fantastic L300's, I apologize! But, to us, they are still a wonderful set of speakers, and we enjoy them every single day! Is it possible that, someday, we might end up with something more new from JBL, like the 250Ti's? Sure. But, very probably not anytime soon! Until then, we'll happily "make do" with our beloved L300's!! Now, I have to remove the drivers to see if 3db down's #12 stamp is on any of them!! Cool!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

yeahh, it's an old thread, so what ?

my formative years (hs & above) were in Santa Barbara, I remember it as an audio desert. Not an audio store to be had , that I ever found (1964-8).

Tho Dad was a respected doctor, he had a tube Sherwood receiver, dual TT , Uher R2R, and no name speakers. Not fine, but got me started.

When I first had real money (in the USN) , the exchange offered good deals on gear that was new to me. Bought a big Pioneer receiver, Pioneer CS-77a speakers, Teac R2R and a Garrard () TT.

Kinda outgrew that system quickly, tho it stuck around for a while. After my time with The Canoe Club, family had moved to Oregon and I relocated here (as nowhere else to go) . Many more audio stores . Hawthorne Stereo was the biggie JBL retailer. So it would have been late '72 that I heard my first L100's. Dealer even gave me a free JBL record (Sessions) to reward my demo.

They were such a fuller sound than the Pioneers. WOW. I also had a demo at a different store for Ohm Walsh F's. Retraining and new job in the mids 70's put both those outstanding speakers out of reach.

Grabbed some used AR-3's and they sufficed for a while.

Finally, early 80's, scored my first JBL L100's , then later the F's.
    Many JBL's later (20,30 ??), the Centurys are gone* , but replaced with a better 3 way-12 incher (IMHO) .. 120Ti's. I like the "Ti" series and also have 18's & 250's. Besides the sound, I admire the engineering and cabinetry. Pure class.

*L100's are in Chicago with my son and wowing his friends.

still have L15,L19, projects to work on.
    it's easier to try,
    than to prove it can't be done

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    my formative years (hs & above) were in Santa Barbara, I remember it as an audio desert. Not an audio store to be had , that I ever found (1964-8).

Tho Dad was a respected doctor, he had a tube Sherwood receiver, dual TT , Uher R2R, and no name speakers. Not fine, but got me started.

When I first had real money (in the USN) , the exchange offered good deals on gear that was new to me. Bought a big Pioneer receiver, Pioneer CS-77a speakers, Teac R2R and a Garrard () TT.

Kinda outgrew that system quickly, tho it stuck around for a while. After my time with The Canoe Club, family had moved to Oregon and I relocated here (as nowhere else to go) . Many more audio stores . Hawthorne Stereo was the biggie JBL retailer. So it would have been late '72 that I heard my first L100's. Dealer even gave me a free JBL record (Sessions) to reward my demo.

They were such a fuller sound than the Pioneers. WOW. I also had a demo at a different store for Ohm Walsh F's. Retraining and new job in the mids 70's put both those outstanding speakers out of reach.

Many JBL's later (20,30 ??), the Centurys are gone* , but replaced with a better 3 way-12 incher (IMHO) .. 120Ti's. I like the "Ti" series and also have 18's & 250's. Besides the sound, I admire the engineering and cabinetry. Pure class.

I like this old thread,I like all these first JBL stories,Mr.Bond
    I first knew JBL was early 80s,when i have read a audiophile magazine which have a top speaker list,JBL 4208 on it,it is called big belly, so i looked for 4208 in every audio shop all over the city,4208 sounded so bright when playing Kenny G saxophone,so i like it very much,my next JBL is L80(euro),very smooth and punchy
    46 lover

WOW, >>Santa Barbarian= Silver Spoon Surfer Dudes&HOT Chicks ...yes & yes2
    Plus Doctor's Spoiled Brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    Plus Doctor's Spoiled Brat.
    Spoiled ? NO - $200 car after HS, he ponied up half.
    Brat ? NO
    No help after 18.

It wern't no picnic.
    Only real benny was living in a nice place.
    it's easier to try,
    than to prove it can't be done

Spoiled ? NO - $200 car after HS, he ponied up half.
    Brat ? NO
    No help after 18.

It wern't no picnic.
    Only real benny was living in a nice place.
    Please don't misunderstand me.
    Just fing with you.

We ?

In the mid '70s till the early-mid '80s was my "stereo as a hobby" era. I Would listen to equipment in the stores (many stores) then buy something based on that and would live with it for a while until I found/heard something I liked better (or technology came out with some new shiny thing).

So I'm going to preface this with in the '70s you had some good funk and yes, even disco. I was very much into the bass sound. So while I listened to the JBL "L" series like the L100 and L60...at the time, the L100 was probably out of my price range, the speakers that I homed in on were Cerwin-Vega (remember too, we would be in the height of Sensurround at that time too so CV was getting a rep for delivering bass). CV's high HF was always a bit more strident than I liked but the bass did not disappoint. My second set of speakers from CV were the S-2 and they sounded pretty good (still have them, in fact). They were one of CV's better offerings, in my opinion. On the pro side, most everything was Altec. Cinemas were mostly Altec VOTT stuff and even PA systems I saw/hear a lot of A7s, 604s and such.

So moving into the early '80s...my fixation on bass subsided, my bank account grew and I started to audition speakers again. The ones I fell in love with were the JBL L250s, which I got in 1983, complete with the B460 subwoofer (so I still liked the bass!). I still love the L250 and still have them (and the B460). They were the standard by which I judged all other speakers...until last year.

The JBL M2. That is the first speaker that I've heard that really bested the L250, for me. In fact, the M2 might be too good. Despite being close to 40-years later in life, the M2s reveal so much more detail to my aged years than the L250s did back with my young ears. When listening to music on the M2s, you hear EVERYTHING (you can hear punch-ins/outs easily, every edit done to the recording is pretty well revealed). Whatever is on the recording, they are going to deliver, like it or not. I'm looking forward to plowing through my record and CD collection with them (and movies).

Dad was a JBL fanatic since the 60s. He used them exclusively for his MI cabs for both guitar and bass. First experience I had with JBL was when dad bought his first real home system JBL L65, powered by Sherwood S-9910.

Dad passed away last year after a 10 yr battle with Multiple Myeloma, but about 2 years before that, he passed his receiver and the JBLs on to me.

About 80% of the used pa speakers and components I have is JBL that I've acquired over the last 25 years from decommissioning various installs. I do some live audio engineering, and I think the best sounding guitar amp I had roll through the club I tech at was a vintage Fender loaded with two E120s.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information