Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glad to be back

Glad to be back

Hi Everyone.
    I was a member in the early 2000's for till maybe.... 2015ish. Just forget exactly. I faded away due to a tragedy in my life. But felt it was time to return to a great site I always really enjoyed being a part of.
    Hopefully I can add to info here. A great resource and a ton of info here for sure.
    And to Mr Widget....glad to see you still here and leading the site to greater things daily. Cheers!

Welcome back!

I hear you

I'm just getting back in audio slowly. I'm turning 65 this summer and I go to more funerals than weddings/birthdays/etc.

Ron sends...

PS: new system waiting construction - 1501Fe/2206/2447 on 2332 horn
    JBL Pro for home use!

Welcome back ! Things are quieter here than "back in the day" but a lot of the old timers still post here and there. 'Cept maybe Giskard/4313b...think he's left the building.

jblnut

I miss Giskard

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Welcome back ! Things are quieter here than "back in the day" but a lot of the old timers still post here and there. 'Cept maybe Giskard/4313b...think he's left the building.

jblnut
    He was a world class source of audio knowledge!

Ron sends...
    JBL Pro for home use!

I miss him too... I don't miss all of the drama that would erupt from time to time, but we were all younger then and possibly a bit too enthusiastic. JBL was a different company then too and with 4313B's audio and JBL knowledge and friends that were in Northridge at the time we were able to access design details and occasionally hardware that allowed us to take a much deeper dive into our DIY projects and have a better understanding of the factory built designs.

It wasn't that long ago when JBL was still supporting the majority of their legacy products... and before that they were actively encouraging DIY projects. That company and those days are pretty much gone or at least significantly diminished.

A couple of months ago I gave 4313B a call to check in. He is well, but he has definitely left the building. Between the normal tugs of life's other callings and the demise of the JBL that had been, he has stepped away from our shared hobby.

Many of us have stepped away from this hobby for periods whether due to personal tragedy like JBLguy who has recently found his way back (welcome back!) or others who have found other interests or responsibilities that have called them away and they never return.

The good news is that there is a lot of great gear out there and music has never been more diverse or available!

Let's keep enjoying the band as it plays on as this ship groans and lists.

Widget

Well said Widget.

Ron - it's good to see you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I miss him too... I don't miss all of the drama that would erupt from time to time, but we were all younger then and possibly a bit too enthusiastic. JBL was a different company then too and with 4313B's audio and JBL knowledge and friends that were in Northridge at the time we were able to access design details and occasionally hardware that allowed us to take a much deeper dive into our DIY projects and have a better understanding of the factory built designs.

It wasn't that long ago when JBL was still supporting the majority of their legacy products... and before that they were actively encouraging DIY projects. That company and those days are pretty much gone or at least significantly diminished.

A couple of months ago I gave 4313B a call to check in. He is well, but he has definitely left the building. Between the normal tugs of life's other callings and the demise of the JBL that had been, he has stepped away from our shared hobby.

Many of us have stepped away from this hobby for periods whether due to personal tragedy like JBLguy who has recently found his way back (welcome back!) or others who have found other interests or responsibilities that have called them away and they never return.

The good news is that there is a lot of great gear out there and music has never been more diverse or available!

Let's keep enjoying the band as it plays on as this ship groans and lists.

Widget
    Very well said Mr Widget. And so true as well. I'm currently 63 yrs and still enjoying the hobby somewhat. Of course all of my systems live on. I basically came to end of my journey audio wise. I built my ultimate system and called it quits then. Still feel there isn't anywhere to go really so settled in and said that's it.
    Sort of.
    My tragedy was loosing my son in 2016. He was a wonderful person and the hurt never ends. Loosing a child is brutal.
    Anyway on a more up note. He had an insurance policy and I was the beneficiary. He was single and only 26. He loved music and loved the JBL's I bought him when he was about 15. I picked up 4 black plywood boxes with a single 2152H in each box. They had been part of a race track setup under the covered area where folks sit. Supposed to have been 40 or so of these. Anyway I figured they would be a good starter speaker for a teen. He loved them and probably because he loved me and knew I loved JBL gear....ya know. Son admiration stuff. Wanted what Dad liked of course. Anyway I play those daily in my work area and I'm glad I have them back.
    But the big deal is what i did with the policy money.
    I decided I wanted a legacy of him to live on. Something that would give pleasure to others musically and visually. Something that would be known as a tribute to him.
    So I built a JBL Paragon in his honor. Well I had it built I must say. I do not have the wood working skills to do that by any means. It was built in Germany and shipped to me in Canada for final assembly. It turned out MAGNIFECENT !
    The man who built it is named Joachim Nagel from Germany. He is master cabinet maker of the highest magnitude and a very nice person. He showed me pictures of his other cabinets and I was sold right away on him for this job. He has built many I believe he said.
    The Paragon has been fitted with all the correct crossovers and drivers as would have some new from factory. Joachim Nagel the maker also refinished to better than new condition the horn 5038P used on the 375 driver.
    It is being driven by the following Mcintosh gear
    C2600 Preamp
    MC275 Tube Amp
    MEM 220 Room Corrector
    MPC1500 Power Controller
    Here a pic before Joachim Shipped it to me. He had it crated beyond AWESOME too. He's second to none imo for building the best boxes on the planet.
    Name:  IMG_2588.JPG
Views: 734
Size:  222.2 KBName:  IMG_2589.JPG
Views: 670
Size:  217.8 KB

What a beautiful tribute to your son. I am so pleased that you shared it with us here.

Awesome tribute to son!

On another note, I'm happy to have met Giskard a few times in person, even though he knew much more audio knowledge than me he never treated me as inferior.

That Paragon is beautiful!

Ron sends...
    JBL Pro for home use!

Very sorry to hear about your son, with him also being into JBL, I'm sure you had some special times together.

Your paragon looks absolutely beautiful and as a McIntosh guy I love the pairing. what version Mc275?

Thanks,
    Scott

Thank you for sharing. What a gorgeous tribute to your son's memory.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Very sorry to hear about your son, with him also being into JBL, I'm sure you had some special times together.

Your paragon looks absolutely beautiful and as a McIntosh guy I love the pairing. what version Mc275?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Thanks Scott
    I bought the MC275 new in 2017 but don't know what version that might be. All the Mcintosh stuff was bought new at that time for this speaker. I guess it's a tribute system is more accurate. My other child and only Son now will inherit it all. He helped me assemble it in Ian's name. Causes me to tear up bad just saying that.
    It sounds great over all. Not my main system but one we use daily upstairs in our main living area. After it all warms up about 1.5 hours the warmth it quite evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Thank you for sharing. What a gorgeous tribute to your son's memory.

Widget
    Thank you Mr Widget
    I had a brass plate forged with all the info on it. It will eventually be screwed to the back in his name. It's about 6x8 inches and very thick. Nicely polished as they do for those things. Like a gravestone plaque. I had it made at a foundry that does brass monument stuff. It turned out nice and I'm happy to have it explain the speaker in his memory. Right now it's sitting in one of the horn mouths on a little stand to display it. I don't get many guest so it's mostly for me to look at.
    Nice part is it's kind of a living tribute as the music makes it that way as opposed to some statue or plaque alone. More lively so to speak. I'll add a few more pics later today.

I tried posting some more pics but they were rejected back. Maybe too big? What is the max file size we can post here?

Thread Information