Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh - 4628B's

clmrt

Uh-oh - 4628B's

A local pair came up for sale, I have dibs. She (!) is sending me pictures today. I have every intent to pick them up, to replace my L36's ( ), and build custom cabinets to appease WAF. She also has other goodies, will advise in the FS forum if over my budget, to pass along info. I can ship if she can not....transmitters, subs, that's what I hear so far.

This may turn into my personal 4628 DIY cabinet thread, I hope!

clmrt
    What kind of inputs are on a stock 4628? TRS? I'd like to bring my T-AMP along to test...Dunno if all drivers are working....

clmrt
    And if I do land them, I'll be on the lookout for the little suitcase model - 4612? To build up as a center...

"I laugh my evil laugh..."

- Sam Tellig

Yes, it's 1/4" phone jack speaker jacks. TS, actually, no "R."

Consider the Gold sound cabinet design.

http://www.goldsound.net/kit11.htm

If the Cabaret cabinets are in good shape, I want 'em.

4612B gonna make nice center - same drivers.....

clmrt
    The other items included a 2-way Samson powered PA job, and a powered mixer. MSP craigslist if anyone cares. Sorry about the OT.

Goldsound looks great!

Jinxing myself, I can feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    Goldsound looks great!
    It's a little "broad" at the top, is all. Doin' my own, I'd make the face trapezoidal.

[Goldsound gives the basics, tho....]

clmrt
    I emailed him for crossover costs, if they can be adapted to the K145 if deemed necessary. Just thinking they might be better than OEM? Maybe not, I know you like them as is.

I am no EE.

There's little doubt they could be improved with an engineered crossover.

The main problem with the stock boxes (other than WAF) is that they're not mirror-imaged. Drivers vertical in-line like the Goldsound would be an improvement, as well.

If you get 'em, we'll do more. RobH and others will have some ideas about cabinets and crossovers for us, as well, hopefully.

[Gonna want a separate sub, but that's fun too.... ]

clmrt
    I have an SVS-based DIY, 90L. Thumps pretty well to about 25hz. However, I have room for, say, 12cf as an end-table......hooooo boy.

Gettin ahead of myself.

1. Get the Cabaret's.
    2. Make sure they friggin work.
    3. Listen for a while
    4. No regrets.....?

See you in the morning.

clmrt
    2. One tweeter shows no Ohms, no sound. Bass drivers are E145, not K like I expected. Ferrite, not Alnico then, right? Cabs are typical used looking, not bad. All corners are there.
    3. Listened to one in Mono. Bass shy, but dropping the pot nearly 75% and it came together OK.
    4. .........

So, I think I'll see what new XO's would cost (JBL sourced or contract built), or wait for Goldsound's XO quote, if he provides it. Plus a new driver / phram.

2. E145 is correct. Stock 2404 in those is "H-1," having 2402 diaphragm. Replacement is 2405 version. See Widget's ring radiator tests for the performance difference:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...page=1&p=60873

If you're switching to 2405, the recommended replacement, you'll want to change them both. Otherwise, PM me your address, and I'll send you a used (but good) 2402 diaphragm to install and get you running in stereo.

3. Try with sub, like you plan. Gettin' both running in stereo will boost the bass some also.

4. .....

Don't know what XO I'd recommend other than stock at this point, what you have. Maybe others will have some ideas....

clmrt
    ....ow, my back!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

clmrt
    The wife FLIPPED OUT and started a whole "You're sick and you need help" thing.

OT -

I also have like 6 bikes in the garage, as I am an avid mech. Can't ride much...no time for it. SHe hates looking at the garage, and now the basement. It's all hidden in the furnace area anyway, under drop cloths so it's all really neatly stored.

Oh well.

On T -

Thanks for the offer Mr. Zilch. PM on the way.

clmrt
    Dusty drivers...Damp cloth and wipe gently?

Use a paint brush and a vacuum to clean the dust off...not a good idea to get the cones damp. Yeah....wipe off the baby butt cheeks (2404H-1) with a damp cloth. Windex works fine too.

I love the 4628B....the Cabaret Series, I think, was some of the greatest speaker systems JBL ever made. The E145 is a KILLER LF driver. 35-20KHz. Very useful playback speaker...esp when cranked with plenty of clean power...say 300
    -400wpc

Nice acquisition

Edgewound

Thread Information