Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L3's up and running

RIP 2009

L3's up and running

I finally got the replacement 708G-1 8" LF I needed for a set of L3's I picked up for next to nothing. The 708G-1 came from a single L5 on eBay, so now I've got other extra drivers left over...

I'm totally amazed by the sound these little speakers put out! Rock solid down to at least 40hz, and that's with no EQ! Low E literally punches you in the stomach when they're cranked - as a matter of fact, my 120 wpc receiver just went into overload shutdown a few minutes ago after going near full for the last 2 hours, and there was still no audible distortion.

I don't know how the 708G-1 compares with the 116H-2 in the 4408's but I'm sure they give it a run for the money, especially since there's so much more cabinet volume in the L3's. I also need to compare them to my L60T's, the main difference being the L60T's use the 8" 116H-1.

Anyway, these little L3's really are amazing speakers - definitely worth it if you chance upon a pair, since they don't seem to be in too much demand. They have plenty of output even for smaller living rooms, and are near ideal for the bedroom!

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Regis
    I think the more recent JBL products get kind of the short end of the stick from us often. Sometimes, you just have to be honest with yourself and exhibit no prejudice when listening to a pair of the more recent offerings speakers.

I have a pair too and think they are great. My son's uses them now and I doubt I will ever get them back he loves them too. I think they are underated too which is fine by me. If I get the chance I would grab another pair.

Rob

Thumbs up The Ls are coming!

I just picked up a single L3 off eBay for cheap. The shipping is more than the speaker!

Anyway, John's right, the drivers are quite nice in the L Series, which is why I find it hard to turn away an orphan. IMO the crossovers are particularly robust as well, but some xover propellerhead will know more about that than I do.
    Out.

Hey Dome;

if you do a side by side comparsion of the L3 to performance series, you might find that the L3 really puts the performance series to shame.

I gave Ti Dome some "magic" wire.

Nothin'll catch 'em now....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I gave Ti Dome some "magic" wire.

Nothin'll catch 'em now....
    what kind?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    what kind?
    After I hook 'em up, I'll take a picture.

But basically it's individually sheathed solid copper, quad-wired into a dual channel configuration, jacketed, and soldered (or is it tinned, Zilch?) into a radical mondo connector. You will blow your mind when you see it.

Excellent gift, Zilch. Thank you again for making them for me.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Basically it's individually sheathed solid copper, quad-wired into a dual channel configuration, jacketed, and soldered (or is it tinned, Zilch?) into a radical mondo connector.
    The bonding methodology is proprietary, of course.

[I'll have to make something up.]

It's the "Performance" that counts....

what gauge is each wire? and if I understand there are four wires for each lead ( total of eight for each speaker?), are they braided etc....

also, Zilch what has been your experience with solid wire compared to stranded? and can you give more info about it.

Good to hear it was "tinned". I don't know how many friends I have who go thru making "great wire" and just place it in a connector bare.

Dome, I was going to offer to send you some kimble 8 TC and 4TC to hook up between the 1400 and 800 and see what you thought ( been very busy so I haven't been around much). PM me if you still want it, even if it's for testing.

Hope it works out great for you and I'm sure that it will be a big improvement over standard 12 gauge stuff. If you can, try to use the same wire between the 1400 and 800 as you do from the amp to the 1400.

I prefere kimbler braided stuff. details are more "clean" even tho the total size is larger and the price is OK if you by it on the gon.

let us know how it goes. If I get time this weekend ( I'm balls to the walls right now - and that hurts) I'll write my next level of "review" on the performance series.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    ( I'm balls to the walls right now - and that hurts)
    NSS (No S#!t Sherlock), me too. I had to sneak out just to get Zilch's special package.

Well, okay, it wasn't quite like that, but I had to put in a full day's performance with my GF's family to have an excuse to meet up with Zilch late at night in an underground parking lot.
    Out.

"As smoke billowing from the Zilchmobile's engine compartment momentarily obscured them from the security cameras, Zilch furtively slipped Ti Dome the 'McMaster-Carr' Ziplock baggie...."

"I had to put in a full day's performance with my GF's family to have an excuse to meet up with Zilch late at night in an underground parking lot. "

Did he bring the 4430's in the trunk??? Nothing like 2 set's of 'Dollys' to make a man smile.

Rob

but I had to put in a full day's performance with my GF's family to have an excuse to meet up with Zilch late at night in an underground parking lot.
    BT, DT.. (Been There, Done That), understand completely. Some 20 years ago I dated a beautiful lady from Vietnam. I learned real quick that when you're in a relationship with an oriental ( particularly marriage) you're not just in a realtionship or marriage to the person but the whole family. It was one of four reasons that I broke off the relationship after 3 years. I really didn't want to marry the whole family, hopefully it's not as bad for you as I had it.

I had to sneak out .....to meet up with Zilch late at night in an underground parking lot......to get Zilch's special package
    Sounds like what I did back in the late 60's and early 70's in college to get some "refreshments"

Zilch furtively slipped Ti Dome the 'McMaster-Carr' Ziplock baggie....
    Sounds more like my old college days "refreshments thing" all the time.

As smoke billowing from the Zilchmobile's engine compartment momentarily obscured them from the security cameras
    they've done studies about this, and a regular oil change every 3000 to 4000 miles will keep this from happening..

Question Huh?

Who's johnaec, what's an L3, and why did he waste the first post of this thread talking about them?

Oh yeah, he was the thread starter and that was the original topic!

Sorry John, but we had to have a pigeon start a thread so we could insert our stealth dialog without the "man" having a clue. I mean, come on, who'd get into a thread on L3s anyway, right?

But just to keep the cover story going, one interesting thing about the L3 and all its L Series siblings is that JBL actually used real wood veneer on these babies, then filled the grain a bit and painted them black. Soon after, they must have discovered that textured black vinyl looked about the same to the casual observer, and we never saw real wood again. (Okay, exclude the 250Ti and TiK).

Have you thought of doing anything extra to the cabinets?
    Out.

Thread Information