Thread: 846 A Valencia grill repair

846 A Valencia grill repair

Aloha
    Has any one had experience repairing a cracked grill on the first Valencia model, 846A?

Thank you
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I make replacements of the foam grilles (846B?).

rikki-tikki

Valencia Grill Replacement

Good morning or what ever time of day it is in your neck of the woods.

I was fortunate enough this past week to acquire a pair of one owner Altec Valencia speakers which have been very, very well preserved. I would rate their cosmetic condition a 9 on a scale of 10. However, the one fly in the ointment is the grill on one of the speakers has a 2 x 4 inch section broken out other wise they would be almost perfect.

I am listening to them as I type this email, and I thought my Boleros were good. I have my informal bass test record which is an Audio Fidelity recording called "Railroad Sounds". When that diesel engine reved up to start the train rolling I could actually feel the the low frequency vibration in my chest.

I am debating as to waiting and trying to find a cannibalized grill from another Velincia speaker or going ahead and putting the one good grill in storage until such time and finding a substitute grill in the interim. In searching this web site it has come to my attention that you make alternative grills for the Valencias.

With this in mind what do you charge for grills for a Valencia (actually 2 grills, 2 speakers), do I have a choice of patterns or colors, and what is the material used for the grills?

Lastly, can you tell me how to remove the existing wood/cloth grill from the Valencia speaker? It appears as if it snaps in using the convex structure to keep it in place. However, when I try to compress it to remove it I get the feeling the grill wants to break.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter, it is greatly appreciated. You may also reach me at [email protected].

Have a good day.

846B foam grilles (see pics of the OEM grilles on this site) are $150/pair + shipping. I've tried some searching for replacements of the wood fret work, but no luck so far.

Perhaps some others here could help on this matter esp. with directions on how to remove the grilles.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

There's been a guy offering good-looking, new, repro, real wood grills on eBay a time or two, don't think he's ever sold any. Unlisted reserve, a friend was high bidder once but still didn't meet reserve. He emailed the seller and asked......$650/pr reserve.

Altec Valencia Grills

I have them on the bay

Thread Information