Thread: Crossover Inquiry

JBLGUY

Crossover Inquiry

Hey Guys

Did JBL ever make a 3 way crossover with the points being say 500hz and maybe 5-8 khz. Sorry for my lack on this but I'm not all that familiar with thier crossovers.

THANKS EVERYONE IN ADVANCE

JBLGUY
    Opps i think I put this in the wrong forum. Should be in Tech

Can a Mod move it.....sorry

Can this be put in the right forum

Alex Lancaster
    To be used with which drivers?

From their component series or from the pro series components they certainly did with the LX5 (3115) and the N7000 (3105) used together.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page17.jpg

Schematics here:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

Click this link to study some other JBL commercial networks that you might want to download .

- Actually, download the pdfs for the; 3105, 3106 , 3152, 3152a, & the 3160

- As Alex asked, what drivers are going to load your crossovers ?

JBLGUY
    Hey Guys

Thanks for responding.
    Well its for a future project using a 375 on a 500-537 Masher. The tweeter will be a 2405H. I would like to build a single 15 inch scoop and at present do not have the woofer needed. I have several TAD 1603 drivers and would use them until I buy some JBL woofers. What woofer would you guys recomend in that cabinet. I would eventially like it to be all JBL with a Jbl crossover setup. Kind of a classic system and kind of new at the same time. Meaning the 2405's with the old masher and 375. Looking to recreate an old look with a few new drivers at the same time.

So what woofer would be ideal and what crossover would be at those type points of 500hz and 8k. Is there a single crossover or do I need to use two to achieve that. Preferably Pro-stuff but am open to your suggestions

You boys are THE source on this.

Have you given those mashers an audition? I've only used their small brother but it was the second worst sounding horn I've ever owned. Top honors go to the H5040... too bad as they are so cute in that Dr. Seuss sort of way.

As for your crossover request, if you want a JBL network, I am pretty sure you will need the two box solution for your proposed combination.

Widget

JBLGUY
    Well Actually we did mess around with them a bit. Only we were using a 2441 driver at the time. I thought they sounded quite nice actually. Kind of strange, but not unpleasant. I felt they sounded very transperant. They had that kind of sound that is coming out of the horn but yet doesn't seem to be there. Ever experiance that ? I get that with my very largest horns. Very open. And actually somewhat smooth as well. I am using the 375 on a pair of 2395 plates now and like those very much. One thing aside from how they may or may not sound is they just plain look cool. They may not be JBL's best sounding horn but they sure are one of the coolest looking, and in this case people who see them are fasinated by the appearance alone...therefore the sound as well.

But anyway with the limited listening we did so far they are very sweet to me anyway...and I have heard many many horn/driver combo's.

I have read some bad press on them but don't see it that way. Now a head to head compair may be another story, but alone they are sweet.

That sounds great! I wasn't suggesting that they sound bad... I've only heard the little guys which are far from transparent. Those big guys sure do look cool.

If you are using 3105s I doubt there will be that much difference between the 2441 and the 375... the 375 will have a bit more forward presence, but they should be fairly similar.

Widget

Alex Lancaster
    With a nominal 8 ohm woof, like 2205A or H, 2215, 2225, K or E130/40/45, 2231, 2235, etc, I think You will need need to cascade a 3115 with a 3105; The latter will give You 7KHz, according to JBL, so I would also try a 3106 @ 8KHz, although it is recommended for 1" drivers, pls let Us know.

Thread Information