Thread: L100 super modification...will this work?

L100 super modification...will this work?

i have a pair of original L100's which are the rare in line array model. as a pro sound engineer who has been through the wars i have used all of the four variations of the original 4310's...to the 4311's and many of the following variations and i think the in line array sounds the best and has the best imaging...except it doesn't work so good sideways. as i was in the habit of taking these monitors to live gigs they got hacked up so i placed them into road cases which added 1/4" to their 1" wall. great move as i take them anywhere now...love playing them out doors and i always volunteer their services when friends have an outdoor party.
    i want to change the tweeter (the weakest link) to a 2405 slot and the back panel can be modified to accomodate the air space. i've tried different HF drivers with biradials and brooke siren x-overs and liked the results and feel a slot would be the ultimate mod. i think a dual 10" compression sub, (firing into each other) would give me the ultimate system. the speakers themselves are totally up to spec, have been remagnetized and reconed with matching diaphrams and sound better today, as they are slightly mellower.
    would this work? i would be destroying the cabinet if i'm wrong!
    Akira
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RIP 2009
    You might want to look at the HF crossover sections of the L65 series or 4315 series - those systems crossed over from the LE-5/2105 drivers to the 077/2405. I believe the existing L100 crossover frequency would be too low if left alone...

I have no idea at all how well a dual 10 compression sub would work.:dont-know

John

Alas, the experts have forsworn L100 tweaks.

Your only option is to use actual, real, honest-to-goodness monitors.

OH, these are PARTY speakers? That's another story, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Alas, the experts have forsworn L100 tweaks.

Your only option is to use actual, real, honest-to-goodness monitors.

Oh, these are PARTY speakers? That's another story, of course....
    this system is retired...but, i still love them and want to use them for special mobile applications.
    i have real monitors in my studio...tannoy system 12DMT. i have always hated them but, i ditched a pair of 4425's because other engineers found the tannoys easier to work with. btw, these tannoys supplanted JBL as the most popular number one recording studio monitor in the 1990's and my cliental loved them....i hate them and they are for sale!

Alex Lancaster
    Hi Akira:

You will find in various posts around here, that the L65īs weakness is in the xover point from the LE5īs which You have, and the 077/2405īs, the latter do not take kindly to the low frequency; I would try 2404īs; they are more efficient than Your LE25īs, so You will have to pad them down or really modify Your xovers.

I would not hack up the boxes. I would disable the LE-20 and drop a small box up top with a 2405 or a 2404. If you use them outside I would go for the 2404. If you use 2405's you can cross them higher but the off axis will be a mess. You could put a pair of H94 lenses on the LE-5s to help off axis if you cross them higher. Sorry but I really think those little serpentines look cool but the port may be in the way. You are going to have to pad them to death but it can work.

Rob

Thread Information