Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compliance adhesive - potential aftermarket option for DIY

Alex Lancaster
    The factory paint is much thicker than a micron, which is a millionth of a meter, (.00003937"), the coating is more like .001"; I took the course at Northridge; when speakers arrived to be serviced, a grunt would clean them with a knife and MEK, pass them to the reconers, where We would clean them more, airblast and clean the gaps, check for shift and magnetism; anyway they were never cleaned to bare metal, there was always a coloring of glue left, maybe .001" thick?; If anybody wants to take the trouble, put one on a lathe and You will see how inexact they are, after all, they are die castings.

So, I think Gordon is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    The MEK removes all the glue. Anyway, this is yet another pointless argument. Do whatever you want. As for reconers, they all think they're good, some of them do great work and others are delusional. What's good enough for some doesn't pass the bar for others.
    Well put... and I'm glad my original point became a little soapbox. It's good to see NEW people who are passionate about preservation and true craftmanship and are willing to put their foot down. I'm tired of also-rans who masquerade as "professionals" in ANY industry. If you chose to do it that way yourself, for whatever reason, then fine... to each his own. BUT, the equation chages when you are hired as a "professional." Just because there is an easy fix that saves YOU time and money while unlikely to rock the boat of your ignorant (or shy) customers doesn't give you the license to embellish reality.

Yes, I've been dissed by shameful reconers... and chastised here for not calling a spade a spade. It happened once, I learned my lesson. Now I am not lazy about it anymore.

Now.... to qualify the original point of this thread: My search for a suitable OTC adhesive was just that... to find a product that behaved like and had the composition of the gasket/rubber adhesives that have to be special ordered.... whether from JBL directly (or a 3M...or a Moyen dealer). I provided a link to one option that is a useful substitute.

Sure, there are a lot of glues that will "work"... but that's not the POINT! Professional is spelled with a capital 'P' in my book. That goes for DIY too.

So, when your glue supply dries out and doesn't re-activate here's an option worth looking toward.... simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound

Part I: If your going to get paid to do it....do it right....thoroughly.

Part II:

...I guess I feel that sometimes we just have to stand up for principal when we think...or know... that the pursuit of excellence in ANY field is being pushed aside. Don't get me wrong...I do not know everything, nor do I profess to. But when I'm right...I'll fight

Edgewound
    Can I print this out and mail it to the local JBL "reconer?"

Sorry doobie... Award-winning "Glue Art" doesn't count when it's on transducer cones.

I think Sir Edgewound may have earned some new business here in SoCal.

Yes you may, DMMD. You're support is appreciated .

Have a great day,
    Edgewound
    Last edited by edgewound; 06-13-2005 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo...again

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I know I said Welcome Edgewound but Jesus.....

No need to step up to the Plate!

And I think Giskard can take his boots off.

Oh Well at least someone was paying attention to the last sentence in post 11.

I have to go to work tomorrow...Edgewound..please carry on.

Muhhahahaahahah.

Ian
    Thanks for the love Ian...I guess I feel that sometimes we just have to stand up for principal when we think...or know... that the pursuit of excellence in ANY field is being pushed aside. Don't get me wrong...I do not know everything, nor do I profess to. But when I'm right...I'll fight (wow...poetry) . Something has happened along the way the past couple of decades. Finding a quality service tech in ANY industry seems to be a job in and of itself anymore. Had your oil changed at a Jiffy Lube lately? How hard can it be to screw that up? But somehow they manage to....and I change the oil myself now....Geez...I could go on and on....but I won't....you already know this.

G'day mate,

Edgewound

Originally posted by Edgewound

" and then I was trained and evaluated by the late Terry Duran who was in charge of training recone technician candidates at the factory in Northridge, CA."

Now there was a great lady!!!!!

I do miss her.She had all of the answers.

When I took the course, I specifically asked Terry about the adhesive (bostic at the time) and its ability to bond to not perfectly cleaned frames.

Her reply was that the bostic was formulated to overcome any SMALL amounts of debris that were on the frame to be reconed.

Oldmics

I'm sorry... don't even get me started with so-called "JBL Authorized" service centers. After having to pick up the pieces of what the local "JBL Authorized" service center sends out (otherwise known as surrounds glued on the wrong sides, kits that were never shimmed/centered properly, sending out the WRONG kit on a recone, to name just a few), I really don't care to hear anyone preach to me about "correct work". I've brought back MORE speakers that were said to be UN-REPAIRABLE, to a condition where they LOOKED, and more importantly, MEASURED like the originals. JBL, Goodmans, Gauss, EV, you name it... my work looks and sounds more like factory parts, than many of the people "authorized" by the factory to do so. I defy ANYONE to find ONE piece I've done, that wasn't the BEST it could have been...

So, pardon me, after dealing with BS from these guys for the last 10 years, if I don't really take "JBL Authorized" as any sort of ringing endorsement. Maybe it was different when Terry Moran was in charge, but it's certainly a "brave new world" out there now, from what I've seen from the CURRENT crop of "JBL Authorized" repair centers...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW

So, pardon me, after dealing with BS from these guys for the last 10 years, if I don't really take "JBL Authorized" as any sort of ringing endorsement...

Regards,
    Gordon.

JBL should....if they still care. "Authorized" still means something and in most cases it yields accurate results. It's simply unfair to bash them in general.

I still have faith...

Quality of craftmanship and pride are the exact reasons why you can still call JBL and find a part for a 50 year old product. That's the point of their whole MO. It is also a testament to a company that can still get parts to those who can effectively represent their products via an experienced network with a very rich history.

Unfortunately, I don't think this strategy fairly reflects the reality of the black and grey areas in an internet powered, greed-driven marketplace. Likewise, JBL's legacy is tarnished in a marketplace where small business is driven to value speed and cost over quality workmanship and.

It's time for JBL to again find creative solutions that empower/reward those who can do a proper job and disuade those from making a quick buck from JBL's good name.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lancaster
    The factory paint is much thicker than a micron, which is a millionth of a meter, (.00003937"), the coating is more like .001"; I took the course at Northridge; when speakers arrived to be serviced, a grunt would clean them with a knife and MEK, pass them to the reconers, where We would clean them more, airblast and clean the gaps, check for shift and magnetism; anyway they were never cleaned to bare metal, there was always a coloring of glue left, maybe .001" thick?; If anybody wants to take the trouble, put one on a lathe and You will see how inexact they are, after all, they are die castings.
    This is absolutely the case. I've seen speakers, that had been sent to JBL themselves for reconing (due to shifted magnets, weak alnico, etc), and it was obvious that they had not gone down to "bare metal". themselves. It'd be counterproductive to do so...

Also, about the inexactitude- there is no better example of this, than the way JBL lost their contract with NASA, in the 1970s, to Emilar. As it was explained to me by a former Emilar project engineer of the time, to quote him: "JBL couldn't hold a 1/1000"-magnitude-range tolerance, consistantly. At this time Emilar could easily hold 1/10000 tolerance in machining".

So, if this type of precision really did matter to JBL, then they really should have been doing it THEMSELVES...

Regards,
    Gordon.

This has started to become a waste of my time....and good information.

Debating with unreasonableness...is unreasonable.

BTW....Emilar is no longer in business...must've run out of NASA contracts.

Have a grand day.

Originally posted by Edgewound

"BTW....Emilar is no longer in business...must've run out of NASA contracts."

Emilar"s principals (2 outta 3 I believe) opened Radian

Oldmics

Very nice tribute

Lancer...

That's a great tribute to Terry...thanks for your post. She trained me in 1988.

Now that's Lansing Heritage.

Thanks again,

Edgewound

Gee I never would have thought I'd see the day on the Lansing Forums where a member regardless of their status would use the Forums to publicly rubbish JBL authorized Service Centre(s).

Consider this thread closed...The Moderators may edit this thread at some point.

Ian

I was asked to clean up this thread as a couple of members started taking pot shots at each other which is not tolerated.

I am not endorsing the posts that I left or disagreeing with the entire content of those I took down, but felt compelled to delete those posts that had content that included what seemed to me to be personal attacks.

It is fine to disagree, but let's keep it to the topic and not the individual.

Widget

Thread Information