Thread: Fire up the tubes for just a song or two?

clmrt

Fire up the tubes for just a song or two?

I'm hunting for tube gear, probably an integrated, for my 847a's. Then it occoured to me, my listening habits include short "opportunity" sessions, where the gear is on for 5 to 20 minutes only.

Would this be an issue for tube gear?

Hi,
    The only answer I can offer is that I do it, and I don't worry a whole lot about it.

David

(Doing it right now, in fact, before going to work: David Willcocks conducting the King's College Choir singing Palestrina's Missa Brevis)

My only problem with this, is that typical tube gear won't even get up to normal operating temperature during that short of a time period... so you won't even get all the "tube goodness" available.

In short, you'll be using the tube amp in a regime that it wasn't designed to operate in... it won't hurt the amp one bit, but it may kind of defeat the purpose of having a tube amp vis-a-vis having a solid state piece...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW
    My only problem with this, is that typical tube gear won't even get up to normal operating temperature during that short of a time period... so you won't even get all the "tube goodness" available.
    Agreed. I think this is also true with solid state amps, although perhaps to a lesser degree.

David

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW

In short, you'll be using the tube amp in a regime that it wasn't designed to operate in... it won't hurt the amp one bit, but it may kind of defeat the purpose of having a tube amp vis-a-vis having a solid state piece...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Come on, that kind of thought process would keep anyone from buying a Lamborghini or Ferrari, because why go to the corner store in a car that can turn 10K rpm and hit speeds around 200mph.

Go ahead and buy the tube amp(s). It won't hurt for the times you listen for a short period and more than make up for it when you have extended listening sessions. Hey, it's what I do.

Thread Information