Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic cars and classy sound

Arrow Classic cars and classy sound

If this thread takes off, credit 57Belaire for the inspiration.

Just to set up some framework here: a classic car is any car (or truck) that you've paid off or even that you owned in the past that's special to you. I know this flies in the face of the classic car rags, but this first and foremost is a Lansing Heritage site so the car is ancillary to the discussion. You might say it's a vehicle for the discussion.

Of course, the sound system has to JBL, stock or (preferably) custom.

I've got a lot of rides from the past and one from the present that'll fit in this sweeping category.

Perhaps the first question should be, Is auto sound a part of the Lansing Heritage? Or is it a shameful diversion?

I know it's a part of the Fosgate Heritage, since Jim Fosgate was one of the first to think about stereo equipment that would run on a 12 volt system.
    Out.

Here you go.....
    For the version in the car...great for drive in's too!

Oooops...the attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice!
    Out.

No offense, but I hate car audio stuff, jBL or not on a website for Home and Studio speakers. Just my 2 cents and I hate to offend anyone.

No offense taken. This is from the LH home page:

The quality of his work resulted in the Lansing name being associated with the finest in sound reproduction technology. His name is carried on in the corporate identity of two companies, JBL and Altec Lansing. The purpose of this site is to pay homage to the accomplishments of the man and his namesake companies.
    So while I'll concede that the site so far has focused on home and studio gear, I don't see how it can fulfill its mission without the complete product line represented. After all, the jbl.com Web site is split into three areas: Home Audio, JBL Pro, and Car Audio. In fact car audio is one place where JBL is doing tons of promotional work and reaping many, many awards.

http://www.jbl.com/car/daytona_spl.asp

I'm not suggesting Don needs to get on the ball and start putting in all the tech materials for JBL car audio stuff, but I am opening the discussion about the place of JBL car audio on this site. Perhaps, as you suggest, there is none.

The fact that I routinely take out the audio system in any car or truck that I buy and put in a custom system, including JBL speakers with Ti tweeters, is certainly one motivating factor for me.

Some of JBL's best industry-leading innovations have come about in the car audio market.
    Out.

Arrow JBL Legend Alma Gates

Just to give you some idea, here's Alma Gates getting her trophy in April 2005.
    Out.

It's been apparent for some time that many of the latest JBL pro drivers are "borrowing" from JBL car audio technology.

LE14H-3's butyl surrounds, dfferential drive, frame construction, others....

Smile Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Yes. Both D.B. Keele Jr. and Richard H. Small (yes, THAT Richard H. Small) have their hands in Harman Becker.

Early on JBL made components from the LCS (Loudspeaker Component Series) available for Car Audio.

First JBL Car Audio system using the available LCS components? Restored 1963 Chevrolet Impala SS 409 with LE10H's/LE21H's in the read deck, LE5H's in the front doors. Crude but effective for the time. The advent of the Ti domes up'd the ante in a 1965 Chevrolet Impala SS with a 327 "L79" mouse slung between the front fenders.
    See, this is what an ignoramus like me needs to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I might scan the early JBL car audio stuff at some point but I've already got scans in that have been sitting well over a year waiting for Library publication so there is no incentive to rush.
    If/when this happens, it will be boss, as the kids used to say.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer
    No offense, but I hate car audio stuff, jBL or not on a website for Home and Studio speakers. Just my 2 cents and I hate to offend anyone.
    Hate may be a bit strong, but I must admit I have very little interest in the stuff myself. A pair of A-7s in the back seat... now that is probably a very good application for them. You'd never notice the lack of highs due to the wind noise and I bet that 101dB sensitivity would come in handy.

Widget

Exclamation Oh no! Horns!

Well, I wasn't ready for this. Say it ain't so!
    Out.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

ideal for

tailgating.......

when I was in High School, I had a JL audio (Read:JBL) sub system in my car -- MB Quart for the mids/highs though......

quality stuff in the car audio world...... blows the pants off of pyle/kicker stuff

I knew a guy that had TAD,s in his car-audio competition system!

In the earlier days....

I was a car stereo installer for about 12 years (MECP Master). I had many different systems but one did have 2 1800GTI's and they pretty much severed your head right of your neck

I have sent cars to the IASCA finals best score was 3rd in 1991. It was a lot of fun but it was hell on my back.
    I did not have a digital camera at the time so I do not have pics. Things have come a long way from then. We used to have to make our own fiberglass door panels and other things. One of the biggest amps back then was a Hifonics Collossus @1000w x2 into 4ohms. A very big dual mono amp.
    I always had a system that was worth about twice as much as my car/truck at the time

That is how it had to be!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    It's been apparent for some time that many of the latest JBL pro drivers are "borrowing" from JBL car audio technology.

LE14H-3's butyl surrounds, dfferential drive, frame construction, others....
    I would suggest that the technology borrowed from the pro side for automotive drivers is greater than the reverse and is a major reason for the success of JBL's car audio endeavours. The most significant technology to find its way into JBL's current car audio drivers is the differential drive motor and this most definitely came from the pro side. Doug Button, JBL Pro's Vice President of Research and Development, invented and patented the technology that first appeared in JBL's HLA series of tour sound speakers. Doug's Super Vented Gap motor designs have also found their way into a number of car drivers. While JBL Pro has rebadged 15" GTI drivers as 2256's for one Vertec subwoofer, this was mainly a matter of expediency in that it eliminated the time to develop a dedicated driver. The heavy ferrite motor of that driver is counter to the direction of light neo magnet motors that Pro is standardizing on.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

O.K., well, "synergism," then.

[It's ALL good....]

Thread Information