Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    I started watching Dr Who reruns of all the past Doctors and current episodes with Tom (4th), who was soon replaced by Peter (5th) on BFBS (google it) when I was stationed in Germany 1981-1984. We were too far out to get AFN (google it) and there was a British base close to our housing area so we could get a few German stations and the BFBS broadcast.

I recall watching six and seven, but am totally drawing a blank on #8 who I think only lasted one season. Picked it back up when the show was revived in 2005 with Eccleston. I was crushed when Tennant left the show, but have enjoyed Matt Smith.

8 was Paul McGann - who only did that late-90s BBC-Fox joint venture movie that attempted to restart the franchise. It didn't actually go anywhere ...
    Movie wasn't too bad - had Eric Roberts as The Master, but the new series from 2005 on has been excellent!

About The Doctor's Daughter ... - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor%27s_Daughter

Georgia Moffett, who plays Jenny, is the real-life daughter of Fifth Doctor actor Peter Davison and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy star Sandra Dickinson. David Tennant described the episode by saying "We get to see the Doctor's daughter, played by the Doctor's daughter." Moffett had previously auditioned for the role of Rose Tyler in 2004 and a role in "The Unicorn and the Wasp" in 2007. Her role as Jenny was not chosen because of her father; it was entirely coincidental but nevertheless a "great PR coup" for the series.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    It seems that most started watching when Tom Baker was the Doctor on PBS. My PBS station then went back and ran some of the previous Doctors.
    After Tom Baker the BBC then switched producers for the show and he wanted to take the show in a new direction. The show lost it's edge, excitement and became very dry (aka boring).
    The current shows and the people playing the Doctor have been a breath of fresh air.
    The plot line is gripping and very intricate, the other caricatures have been marvelous.
    The show is a joy to watch!
    Question: remember the show were David Tenant was cloned and he had a Daughter?
    Were is she? For a while I though that River Song was his daughter, but ........
    BIG SPOILER ALERT in for any that are still catching up...

Dont forget about the Doctor Who films in '65 and '66 that starred Peter Cushing as the Doctor.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Dont forget about the Doctor Who films in '65 and '66 that starred Peter Cushing as the Doctor.

Allan.
    Probably fun, but they don't actually count as canon because they depict his background differently ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Opps, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Probably fun, but they don't actually count as canon because they depict his background differently ...
    But that was last June!
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

Opps, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    But that was last June!
    I didn't say who River was, thought.
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

But that was last June!
    I didn't say who River was, thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post

Allan.
    1965 and 1966 was not June - but that's the least of the problems with those old movies - there is NO GALIFREY, No TimeLords, no Rassilon, etc! And their Doc is 'sposed to be a Hu-Man!

Wiki sez:

Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965) was the first of two Doctor Who films made in the 1960s. It was followed by Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.

Several changes were made to the main characters. Cushing's Dr. Who is portrayed as an Earth-born scientist and inventor (whose surname is actually Who) who built TARDIS (not The TARDIS as in the television show), his time travelling ship. In the film, TARDIS is larger on the inside than on the outside (as with the television TARDIS), but its internals consist of masses of wires and switches, with blinking lights abound, rather than the simpler console room of the series. Cushing plays the Doctor as an amiable and absent-minded inventor, in contrast to William Hartnell's more prickly and mysterious persona, though Cushing's version does show leadership and determination in moments of crisis. Barbara and Susan are now both his granddaughters (and both, as a result, carry the surname Who; in the original series Susan adopts the surname Foreman). Ian Chesterton is now Barbara's bumbling boyfriend, and the entire subplot of them being Susan's teachers is dropped. Ian is the comic relief in the film, rather than the heroic version seen in The Daleks.

Because of this departure from the established continuity of the television series, this film is generally not considered canon, although attempts have been made in various spin-off media to fit it in.

===========
    Time And Relative Distance In Space - TARDIS ... (its bigger on the inside!)

I think I'd call that the Re-Engineered Time and Relevant Distance in Space, or a genuine RETARDIS.
    Out.

Now, now... If I had the time to build a tardis-looking entrance to my 'loo', as at least one other person in the world -has-, I'd do it

You mean this?

http://www.wheresthetardis.com/entry/313

or the guy with the TARDIS potty in his pinball barn?
    Out.

Don't be silly. Just a shallow façade for the door, as though it ended up embedded in the wall. Bigger on the inside... Time passes without it seeming so... Etc.

I suppose then, I'd have to assemble a small Dalek that would both hold the plunger and squawk "Eliminate" when an occupant had seated...

For whatever its worth, the current season ended yesterday (season 6, Ep 13)
    tho there is always a Christmas day episode that's lots of fun ...

Next season will be shorter, as Steven Moffat, who currently guides Doctor Who, is also writing "Sherlock", the contemporary era series about Sherlock Holmes and Watson.
    Both will be back with new episodes next year.

yeah, can you tell I'm a huge fan of both ...

And - none you caught my Gaff ...

TARDIS = Time And Relative Dimension In Space - (I always think D=Distance not Dimension)

It -was- an entertaining multi-storyline pull-together

Steven Moffat is the Man
    I just realized he also wrote one of my favorite episode of the 3rd season of Doctor Who: Blink

Name:  weepingangel1.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  18.3 KB

It seems that most started watching when Tom Baker was the Doctor on PBS. My PBS station then went back and ran some of the previous Doctors.
    IIRC, they ran all, or nearly all, of the surviving episodes (many old B&W episodes had been sold off from the BBC archives for their silver content). I tried to watch them all, but it was tough going for a lot of the earlier work - I fell asleep a lot of Sunday nights

Wish they would air the old Tom Baker years again while we wait for new episodes.

Thread Information