Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: So,whaddaya got in yer JBL collection?

Plentiful Pile of Potential

Took a new pic of the JBLs patiently waiting in line for cabinet-sprucing and general upgrades. If you look closely, you can see a few Zilch-inspired A.S.S. plugs (Acoustic Suspension Suppository plugs) for testing purposes.

The group of four in the bottom left are L100As, on top of those are L110s. All six to the right are L46s.

je
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's a lot of patients, doctor. Will they be okay? Or will some have to be sacrificed so that others may live?

At this point, I have NO idea what I'll be using the L100s for, but they just might combine forces & resources to make one "nicer" pair. The rest have jobs to do, with just the homeliest of the L46 cabs & grilles shelved as a spare.

If you remember my posts about my studio planning, I've recently decided that the fireplace is coming out, which will rearrange the whole room, potentially losing the plasma & surround system. This might bring the L100s back in, as playback monitors for that room- we'll see.

je

Hey Fred, you need more L110's.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Took a new pic of the JBLs patiently waiting in line for cabinet-sprucing and general upgrades. If you look closely, you can see a few Zilch-inspired A.S.S. plugs (Acoustic Suspension Suppository plugs) for testing purposes.

The group of four in the bottom left are L100As, on top of those are L110s. All six to the right are L46s.

je

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    Hey Fred, you need more L110's.

Larry
    Agreed. But, I haven't found anybody throwing any more out!

I have enough stuff (and enough stuff to fix on my stuff) that I'll be set for quite a while. I also have...um...at least 12 pair of non-JBL speakers, too. There's only so many rooms in my house, you know.

At least a dozen of my guitars need work, too...:dont-know

je

I have two pairs out, used pretty much on a daily basis and 3 pairs in boxes.
    I'd like to find some that someone had thrown out. I am never that lucky.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Agreed. But, I haven't found anybody throwing any more out!

I have enough stuff (and enough stuff to fix on my stuff) that I'll be set for quite a while. I also have...um...at least 12 pair of non-JBL speakers, too. There's only so many rooms in my house, you know.

At least a dozen of my guitars need work, too...:dont-know

je

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    I have two pairs out, used pretty much on a daily basis and 3 pairs in boxes.
    I'd like to find some that someone had thrown out. I am never that lucky.

Larry
    So, if I want to play the odds, I'd be best off checking YOUR garbage every night- you've got them all! Wanna trade for some L100s?

My L110s will be used absolutely as often as possible, they'll be over my recording desk again very soon. Working on that room right now.

je

My JBL collection - one pair of 250Ti speakers, purchased circa 1986. An awesome sounding system I must say!

I have already replaced the LE14H-1 bass drivers one time and I'm looking for a set of LE14H-3 drivers with the longer lasting rubber surround.

Quote Originally Posted by varice View Post
    My JBL collection - one pair of 250Ti speakers, purchased circa 1986. An awesome sounding system I must say!

I have already replaced the LE14H-1 bass drivers one time and I'm looking for a set of LE14H-3 drivers with the longer lasting rubber surround.
    Welcome Varice! That's a great set, for sure. What are you driving them with?

The LE14H-3 is a strong, natural replacement. It should do you nicely when you find them. Even new, they aren't prohibitively expensive: less than $300 each. That's a sweet deal on a great driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Welcome Varice! That's a great set, for sure. What are you driving them with?

The LE14H-3 is a strong, natural replacement. It should do you nicely when you find them. Even new, they aren't prohibitively expensive: less than $300 each. That's a sweet deal on a great driver.
    Thanks for the welcome Titanium Dome!

I'm driving the 250Ti's with a Yamaha AX-596 Integrated Amp (100 watts per channel), music CD player is a Sony XA3ES, turntable is a Kenwood KD-2055, tuner is a Proton 440, system EQ is by a BSR EQ-3000 and a Marchand WM8 Bassis Parametric. The 250Ti system is also used as a monitor in my home studio for my electronic music instruments (electric guitar rig, several analog and digital synths).

I'm about 5 years into my second set of LE14H-1 drivers - can only expect about 5 to 10 more years out of them because of the foam surround. Last weekend I emailed Harman Audio to check on the availability of the LE14H-3 and was told that it has been discontinued! Hard to believe because it is used in the current JBL 1400 Array System. Anyway, forum member Zilch said that he would check to see if he could find a source of a new set of LE14H-3 drivers for me.

So, I am new here but I thought I would share my small collection with you guys. It all started around 1999, when I bought my first set of JBL's. I got a set SVA1800's at Best Buy on close out. I don't even remember what I paid for them. I took them home and hooked them up to cheap receiver. I never had any idea how good they could sound until 4 yrs. later,I finally got a good receiver and CD player. A Sony DA90EGS and a XA20ES. I was hooked. I had to find some more SVA's to complete the set. So now my collection includes the 1800's, a set of 1500's and a SVA center, along with a PB12 sub. That is in the living room. And the bed room setup right now is HLS, 810's for mains, 410's for surr. and an HLS center. Along with a PB10 sub. But I have got the bug. I think it is time to start adding some of the classic JBL's to my collection. It never ends does it? Oh, and you guys don't want to hear about the Sony collection, I think that is getting out of hand too. But everyone here should understand, right???????

Welcome, and good job on getting those SVAs. They're definitely underrated and under represented here. I have some SVA2100s, SVA1800s, and an SVA Center (among other stuff). They really are quite a handful when driven by the right gear. WOW! Watch out!

The HLS Series is also under represented here. Despite what some would say about their construction and components, they were a very nice series in their own right. They were sorely missed in the marketplace when they were discontinued just about the time people were figuring out the bang-for-the-buck value they were.

And yes, having some vintage gear will be cool, but it's not a replacement for the more recent good stuff like the SVAs. It's just different.

Welcome aboard and yes you do have a fine pair of speakers.I like them very much,thankyou!

I like having different systems to listen to. I have some receivers from the late 70's and early 80's and would like to compliment them with speakers from the same eras. I am just now learning to appreciate the different sounds. I am still young, I have a lot to learn

Challenged...

L-112 x2
    L-110 x2
    L-50 x2
    L-40 x2
    A few LE5-10/12's and 033's around here somewhere.

(non JBL: ARax2's & KLH Model 6's, one pair each of small bookshelf AR's and KLH's) Love to humiliate the East Coast sound. I romance my JBL's and make the AR's & KLH's watch !

Sansui G-9000 DB w/ the L112/L110 2 channel (A/B)
    Sansui 8080 w/AR's/KLH's 2 channel (A/B)

Pioneer SX 3700 (not in use)
    Pioneer VSX505s (for HT) L112's L/R, RCA center (soon to be JBL when I can figure out which model would mate with the L112's/L110's) and L50/L40 rears.
    Yes, i do reach behind the L112/l110's and rewire from Sansui 2 channel for music and Pioneer for HT/movies !
    JVC JA S31 amp. (NOT in use)
    JVC QL-A220turntable (packed away)

I want more - modern JBL, pure titanium but, as I'm prone to get info. overload, I must admit I don't know where to start ! I spend hours here reading, looking for
    clues and go away exhausted and no further ahead each and every time I try ! Also happens in librarys and at Strawberries. Yes, I'm serious. Too much info. and I just shut down. Can't keep my 43xx,44xx,XPL's etc., what year what drivers etc., straight in my head ! Makes trying to read schematic's a real treat ! Oh yeah. I bought spare x-overs for both the L112's and L110's to do the upgrades. Been close to a year now and both pair are still "stock". The brain is a terrible thing ! Um, to waste ! But I do apprecaite SOUND !

Thread Information