Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: So,whaddaya got in yer JBL collection?

My JBL Vintage HT and MUsic Hall

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    What an incredible room . . . and contents! The floor and wall surfaces look quite hard, and lively. Is the treatment all handled in the articulated ceiling?
    After many years I got a permit to build a dedicated HT and Music hall and so I did.The Hall is underground, made out of Concrete, connected to the main house through the basement but phisically disconnected in order to avoid transmission of vibrations or sound to the main house.Fully acustically treated, the walls are commercial wood panels with holes, they are mounted 8 inches from the concrete walls and inside there is sound absorbing wool 3 inch thick.The ceiling is made of perforated and wave sagomated steel panels, on top of those more absorbing wool. The ceiling panels are hanging from the ceiling with steel cables and are free to vibrate to absorb sound energy.The acustic is really good it is not anechoic nor too reverberant.It can handle the huge power installed on 8 JBL monitors and 4 subwoofers without a sweat and play loud in the middle of the night without disturbing the house or neighbours.The most important investment in my opinion to listen to music or movies is a good acustic treatment, better if designed and realized from scratch.

My JBL Vintage Hall

View from the front
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Hey, its not a competition, its an enjoyment of the brand!
    I can remember times I heard your UREIs when they were near Annapolis, and was just amazed at their presence and sound.
    Hardly mediocre! They're quite collectable! I considered buying them (too big for our little house!)
    Great point. I just wish I had the resources and space to enjoy more stuff! I'm dreaming of it now: An isolated room like discus' where I can continuously rotate gear in and out, observing the differences as I do, all in search of the holy grail end all system...

Thank you, Heather! I really love them for reasons you mentioned and more. I'm glad I bought them, feel extremely fortunate Angela convinced me to go and buy them! I was on the fence big time. If not for her, I wouldn't have made the trip and some other guy would be drinking my Kool-Aid. What a nightmare... Fortunately that has not happened and I'm a UREI fan through and through.

That is a cool picture. I notice the 2245 on the right looks different from the left. Both of them now look like the left one. Funny thing is, rusty said he's surprised I haven't blown a driver yet with all my old, moldy amps and all the dangerous watts I've been throwing at 'em. Yet clearly he's blown at least one of the biggins up with his little amplifiers. Oh the irony! Gives me quite a laugh. So yeah, take that Rusty! ..This picture also reminds me that I need to get the UREI's on those stands to better focus the image at me as I listen. It'll be two years this year when I said to Angela as we were setting them up, "We'll do that later. For now, lets just get 'em set up and see if we even like them over the XPL's.." They really impressed me. A hard feat considering I went into them negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by discus96 View Post
    After many years I got a permit to build a dedicated HT and Music hall and so I did.The Hall is underground, made out of Concrete, connected to the main house through the basement but phisically disconnected in order to avoid transmission of vibrations or sound to the main house.Fully acustically treated, the walls are commercial wood panels with holes, they are mounted 8 inches from the concrete walls and inside there is sound absorbing wool 3 inch thick.The ceiling is made of perforated and wave sagomated steel panels, on top of those more absorbing wool. The ceiling panels are hanging from the ceiling with steel cables and are free to vibrate to absorb sound energy.The acustic is really good it is not anechoic nor too reverberant.It can handle the huge power installed on 8 JBL monitors and 4 subwoofers without a sweat and play loud in the middle of the night without disturbing the house or neighbours.The most important investment in my opinion to listen to music or movies is a good acustic treatment, better if designed and realized from scratch.
    Wow, just wow! That sounds like the ultimate room, a wet dream come true! Damn, I'd love to see it and even construction photos. I noticed there were no windows, but just assumed it was probably an above ground warehouse. The fact that it can practically double as a bomb shelter is just amazing. I'd want to live down there, the rest of the house be damned.

...Wha, what's in your garage????

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    ...That is a cool picture. I notice the 2245 on the right looks different from the left. Both of them now look like the left one. Funny thing is, rusty said he's surprised I haven't blown a driver yet with all my old, moldy amps and all the dangerous watts I've been throwing at 'em. Yet clearly he's blown at least one of the biggins up with his little amplifiers. Oh the irony! Gives me quite a laugh. So yeah, take that Rusty! ...
    That was pretty early on in getting the whole thing up and running. I had bought 2 drivers with aftermarket kits (right channel) and one driver with a JBL 2245 (left) along with two JBL recones. Some months before I'd blown one of the aftermarket kits when an old amp passed DC. Our friend here, Clark needed a 2245 to replace one of the woofers in his 4345s that had been damaged in a freak accident. JBL kits were gone by then so I sent him the woofer on the left which matched his and installed the spare JBL recones you have now in what had been the aftermarket pair. That was about 2017/18 best I can recall.

Lesson learned. I wouldn't use amplifiers without protection on the outputs (or output transformers) or a speaker protection circuit with these unobtainium drivers any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by discus96 View Post
    .....The most important investment in my opinion to listen to music or movies is a good acustic treatment, better if designed and realized from scratch.
    That right there. Words of wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    That was pretty early on in getting the whole thing up and running. I had bought 2 drivers with aftermarket kits (right channel) and one driver with a JBL 2245 (left) along with two JBL recones. Some months before I'd blown one of the aftermarket kits when an old amp passed DC. Our friend here, Clark needed a 2245 to replace one of the woofers in his 4345s that had been damaged in a freak accident. JBL kits were gone by then so I sent him the woofer on the left which matched his and installed the spare JBL recones you have now in what had been the aftermarket pair. That was about 2017/18 best I can recall.

Lesson learned. I wouldn't use amplifiers without protection on the outputs (or output transformers) or a speaker protection circuit with these unobtainium drivers any longer.
    My man! I'm only teasin' 'ya. Glad to know I might get another ten years out of the 2245's though. We recently refoamed the 2215's, they're going strong once again. I have my eye out for NOS recone kits though. Simply Speakers makes a kit too. No Aquaplas though, but I discovered these 2215's don't have it either. Can't imagine they'd sound worse with the S.S. kits...

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    That right there. Words of wisdom.
    I can imagine. But my budget just won't allow that. Need someone who knows what they're doing to come into my living room and make suggestions that also coincide with the decor. If I could sacrifice a room purely for audio, I would. But not this house, maybe when I retire. Although I'm quite happy with how my room sounds. Listening to some tracks, like ZZ Top's "Asleep in the Desert" at moderate volume (90 dB?) reveals some stuff vibrates. But I don't notice when listening at levels you guys consider ear-bleed or with most other material. I have to assume it is happening and most likely competing with other frequencies. But what impact that makes on the overall sound? No idea, that's where someone who knows what they're doing could come into play.

Thread Information