Thread: SPAM

SPAM

Will the day ever come that every SPAMmer addy is on my "Blocked" list?

Why is it that hackers and scriptkiddies don't find ultimate pleasure in nukeing SPAMmers?

Surely, THEY're perpetually pissed at them, too, no?

RIP 2009
    I finally had o break down and install an enterprise spam filter a couple weeks ago at work to cover about 65 users. Since we host our own Exchange Server, it was totally up to us. I went with Brightmail Spam Filtering, which also updates spam signatures about every 10 minutes. In the first two weeks of operation, it's intercepted almost 11,000 spam messages, or over 65% total mail coming in.

Doesn't your email provider offer spam filtering?

John

Zone Alarm security suite takes good care of spam, popups and antivirus. They update their definitions atleast once a day (unlike Norton) and it can actually get rid of a virus (also unlike Norton). It gets most spam and it is easy to teach it when it misses one, but this doesn't happen often.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Will the day ever come that every SPAMmer addy is on my "Blocked" list?

Why is it that hackers and scriptkiddies don't find ultimate pleasure in nukeing SPAMmers?

Surely, THEY're perpetually pissed at them, too, no?
    Maybe it's the same guys with different hats?:dont-know
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Now you are on to something

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    Maybe it's the same guys with different hats?:dont-know
    It is big money. People pay big dollars for internet usage habits.
    As far as Brightmail I have found it is not all it is cracked up to be. I have found however that this link is a better solution even better when used with another solution like Brightmail.

http://spf.pobox.com/

I operate/admin about 20 small business networks most with thier own email servers (exchange,postfix,Qmail) remote access,web and ftp/webdav servers. A good firewall also can help.(not your standard d-link home box etc.) More like a application layer inspection type firewall. These are just some of the things I have found after being in this business for sometime now. I know there are many way to go about this, and it is a subject that will have many answers. You can find other things by watching your fav tech site. And you can use a good SMTP filter. I also realize some of these things are out of reach for the avarage home user, so I recomend using an enterprise version of virus/spyware/spam scanner/filter as almost all "home" versions for lack of a better word "SUCK". www.webroot.com is another good offering for spam and spyware for home and business users.

I do realize other people will have other solutions and what I have put here is just a starting point. Just remember to protect yourselves because it will only get worse not better.

Thread Information